Billy Corgan on being compared to Axl Rose

parisrocks

Axl wrote most of the vocal melodies for AFD. Axl had written music when AFD was released. He already had written Nov Rain by the time AFD came out.

I was talking about music written for AFD, not the Illusions. Axl wrote none of the music for AFD.

Billy Corgan also is a terrible live singer, he can only sing in the studio

So? This isn't American Idol. Bob Dylan couldn't sign live either.

And Sure compare Corgan to Cobain, its a good one, both of their lyrics are not as deep or good as Axl's.

Axl's lyrics are simple by comparison. Cobain wrote in extremely artistic metaphors. Most of his music was so cryptic, that only he knew what he was singing about. It's more complex.

NIrvana and SP are both great bands but Gnr were miles better and for the record, Dave Grohel was the true talent in nirvana.

Dave Grohel co-wrote what, two songs on In Utero? And he's the true talent? Please. And as far as being a better band, it's not even close. Guns N Roses were a late 80's version of 70's Aerosmith. Their sound had been done before. Their look had been done before. They were the best 80's hard rock group, and one of the best hard rock groups ever but by no means original. They didn't change music. They didn't change pop culture. When SCOM was on heavy rotation, so was Poison,Motley Crue,Warrant and the rest of the bunch. It wasn't until Smells Like Teen Spirit where everything changed. Over night, MTV,music and pop culture changed. All of a sudden, bands that made a living on that station were gone, replaced by bands like Pearl Jam,Alice In Chains,Soundgarden etc. That's all thanks to Nevermind and Nirvana. Say what you will about them, but they changed the entire industry and wiped out all of that garbage from the 80's.

Edited by Nintari

Axl wrote most of the vocal melodies for AFD. Axl had written music when AFD was released. He already had written Nov Rain by the time AFD came out.

I was talking about music written for AFD, not the Illusions. Axl wrote none of the music for AFD.

He may not have actually written the music but I have read in countless interviews saying how he shaped the songs. Slash even said that Sweet Child only really happened because Axl overheard him playing the opening riff and then based a song around it.

Edited by plonker88

And Sure compare Corgan to Cobain, its a good one, both of their lyrics are not as deep or good as Axl's.

Axl's lyrics are simple by comparison. Cobain wrote in extremely artistic metaphors. Most of his music was so cryptic, that only he knew what he was singing about. It's more complex.

If only Cobain knew what he was singing about, hoy do you know that he wrote in extremely artistic metaphors? :question:

If only Cobain knew what he was singing about, hoy do you know that he wrote in extremely artistic metaphors? :question:

Because...that's just the way he wrote.

She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak

I've been locked inside your Heart Shaped box for a weeks

I've been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap

I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black

This is just one example of many, especially on In Utero (if I remember correctly).

NIrvana and SP are both great bands but Gnr were miles better and for the record, Dave Grohel was the true talent in nirvana.

Dave Grohel co-wrote what, two songs on In Utero? And he's the true talent? Please. And as far as being a better band, it's not even close. Guns N Roses were a late 80's version of 70's Aerosmith. Their sound had been done before. Their look had been done before. They were the best 80's hard rock group, and one of the best hard rock groups ever but by no means original. They didn't change music. They didn't change pop culture. When SCOM was on heavy rotation, so was Poison,Motley Crue,Warrant and the rest of the bunch. It wasn't until Smells Like Teen Spirit where everything changed. Over night, MTV,music and pop culture changed. All of a sudden, bands that made a living on that station were gone, replaced by bands like Pearl Jam,Alice In Chains,Soundgarden etc. That's all thanks to Nevermind and Nirvana. Say what you will about them, but they changed the entire industry and wiped out all of that garbage from the 80's.

The whole Axl wrote simple lyrics and billy and kurt wrote metaphoric lyrics is tired and old.

Billy and Kurt wrote lyrics that made zero sense and people claim they were metaphoric because the lyrics went no where.

Yeah songs like breed, teen spirt or bullet with butterfly wings are really genius.

People can relate to Axls lyrics more that is why they are better.

This is just one example of many, especially on In Utero (if I remember correctly).

Those lyrics are jibberish, you are giving Cobain way too much credit.

Corgan's a prat, but he's made some amazing music. He and Axl would probably get along, at least until the inevitable ego clash.

I'm pretty confident that Nirvana fans don't constantly and unnecessarily drag Axl/GNR into their discussions as often as you guys do. Just saying. :rofl-lol:

Edited by Angelica

The whole Axl wrote simple lyrics and billy and kurt wrote metaphoric lyrics is tired and old.

Billy and Kurt wrote lyrics that made zero sense and people claim they were metaphoric because the lyrics went no where.

Yeah songs like breed, teen spirt or bullet with butterfly wings are really genius.

People can relate to Axls lyrics more that is why they are better.

Those lyrics are jibberish, you are giving Cobain way too much credit.

Whenever a message isn't understood, it can be either because of the sender or because of the receiver (or because of both).

In this case, it's really discussable - however, extreme it is (and a metaphore too, or whatever the correct english label for this type of language is)!

I personally need to go a long way to explain these lines on a concious level, but these are strong images which are maybe somehow just understood unconciuosly.

On a side note: There are definitely bigger Cobain-fans than me around, his music is overrated...

This is one of the more interesting discussions here, about the nature of art.

Edited by Fun n' Games

"for a weeks" hmmmm excellent English right there yep!

"Magnet tar pit trap" oh yeh they are everywhere these days are they?

"Meat-eating orchids forgive no one " I don't even have to say anything here...

Relatable and genius lyrics for sure :) (note the heavy sarcasm). Just my opinion anyway.

Edited by Young_Gun

It's not always: more relatable = better

More often than not, art is about giving it a little twist!

While that can be true, in music, the listener needs some thing they can relate too. Nirvana's lyrics were mainly jibberish to me, going no where and everywhere. Its like a book with no story. But these are my opinions :) I listen to Nirvana sometimes but in terms of lyrics GnR(old and new) are much more deep and fulfilling.

Corgan's talent > Axl's talent

To each his own I guess. The last thing Corgan did that I thought was amazing was from '93 or so.

The irony of this statement!!

:laugh:

Except TSI isn't amazing and CD is so it isn't really that funny.

TSI vs Pisces Iscariot..

It's not always: more relatable = better

More often than not, art is about giving it a little twist!

While that can be true, in music, the listener needs some thing they can relate too.

Not me.

Its like a book with no story.

Books without plotlines can be great! Most of the stories are always the same and have been told a million times in just little variations anyways.

To each one their own, I guess. rock4