Billy Corgan on being compared to Axl Rose

parisrocks

(Commenting on being the sole member leftover from the Smashing Pumpkins)

[so it's just Corgan now, and he doesn't wince when his situation is compared to Axl Rose's. "I'm a fan, and maybe Chinese Democracy wasn't as great of a record as I would have hoped for, but it also gave me greater appreciation for what he (Axl) actually does," says Corgan.]

*Billy Corgan is giving away 44 new songs for free on smashingpumpkins.com. The first 3 are up and they're really good

Edited by parisrocks

The main difference though, is Corgan's first records where it's pretty much him, are brilliant. So much so, that it does make you kinda wonder if he was the entire driving force on the first pumpkin records (not saying he is).

CD is far from brilliant - after hearing cd; You know (or at least think) that axl was not the entire driving force behind the first couple of Guns records.

It's weird, I happened to listen to a few SP tracks last night on a whim and forgot how good that band or Billy really is. Now that I think about it, a SM/GNR tour would be pretty cool in the states! Sounds like Billy is a fan Axl, call him up! Would make for a great show :)

It's weird, I happened to listen to a few SP tracks last night on a whim and forgot how good that band or Billy really is. Now that I think about it, a SM/GNR tour would be pretty cool in the states! Sounds like Billy is a fan Axl, call him up! Would make for a great show :)

they did open for guns during the illusions tour :P

The main difference though, is Corgan's first records where it's pretty much him, are brilliant. So much so, that it does make you kinda wonder if he was the entire driving force on the first pumpkin records (not saying he is).

Siamese Dream was his baby guitar and bass-wise, I'm sure he'd have drummed too, but Chamberlain's a beast, just listen to 'Geek USA'

CD is far from brilliant - after hearing cd; You know (or at least think) that axl was not the entire driving force behind the first couple of Guns records.

I thought the exact opposite.

This made me want to listen to Pumpkins...and GNR...been listening to Black Light Burns and Alter Bridge the whole day...Corgan and Axl come of as a bit loony, to me at least. But maybe that's the key to make good music...Yes, I got nothing relevant to contribute to this thread....

Totally disagree with this statement.

I think CD is brillant. Axl let the music speak for him and pretty much not do it in the press other than a few statement here and there. If anyone here doesn't get that then they shouldn't be here.

CD was made or rather the songs on it with the hardcore fans in mind that should be able to grasp what this record is about.

If anyone here doesn't get they should set down and give it your total attention from start to finish with knowing what you know about all the stuff that we know went on behind seens and I am sure there is a ton more we have no clue about which I think is partly because some of it still on going or can't be talked about by either side.

We all know Axl is a very private person and this is JMHO but he didn't want to whine about it in public. Do we here any rants about it? NO and we all know Axl loves to have on stage rants about things that effect him.

Don't get me wrong by my statement Axl himself also to blame for the mess leading up to CD. Hell Prositute is an apology from Axl to the fans, at least that is the feel it gives me. There are so many song on CD that bring out alot of emontion in me and some of them I did NOT like at first but after LISTENING to them, the words and tone of the songs it made me get it and by that I mean what the song is POSSIBLILY getting at from Axl's point of veiw and what it brings out it me for my own self. To me if you can't get some sort of meaning from a song wheather it be by this band or that band it is just noise.

I hope THIS formation of the band goes on to make a few more records and I feel that they will shine when and if it ever happens.

I think CD is brillant. Axl let the music speak for him and pretty much not do it in the press other than a few statement here and there. If anyone here doesn't get that then they shouldn't be here.

Exactly mate. But don't bother replying to a retard like SunnyDRE, maybe he makes some visitors of this forum laugh, maybe he's playing a character and doesn't actually believes his own non-sense, but seriously, after a while here, I'm pretty fed up with this kind of reject. This kind of people is very sad, wasting your time on a fan board when you aren't much fan of the actual band, is IMO, a retard attitude. This guy must have no life of his own.

Anyway, Corgan is ok, but comparing himself to Axl Rose is pushing it. I don't see how anyone can be compared to Axl Rose when it comes to talent, except maybe Freddie Mercury and Matthew Bellamy in their own genre, but that's pretty much about it.

Exactly mate. But don't bother replying to a retard like SunnyDRE, maybe he makes some visitors of this forum laugh, maybe he's playing a character and doesn't actually believes his own non-sense, but seriously, after a while here, I'm pretty fed up with this kind of reject. This kind of people is very sad, wasting your time on a fan board when you aren't much fan of the actual band, is IMO, a retard attitude. This guy must have no life of his own.

Anyway, Corgan is ok, but comparing himself to Axl Rose is pushing it. I don't see how anyone can be compared to Axl Rose when it comes to talent, except maybe Freddie Mercury and Matthew Bellamy in their own genre, but that's pretty much about it.

Huh?

It's kind of funny that you jump on here to trash Sunny when he was just giving his down-to-earth, honest opinion, which I don't think offended anyone.

Then, you trash Billy Corgan for comparing himself to Axl Rose when he didn't. I mean, the blurb was only 2 sentences, how could you misread it?

Then, the only guy you choose to back-up is the moron who spells "behind the scenes" behind seens.

Edited by parisrocks

Huh?

It's kind of funny that you jump on here to trash Sunny when he was just giving his down-to-earth, honest opinion, which I don't think offended anyone.

Then, you trash Billy Corgan for comparing himself to Axl Rose when he didn't. I mean, the blurb was only 2 sentences, how could you misread it?

Then, the only guy you choose to back-up is the moron who spells "behind the scenes" behind the seens.

Moron?

Ever heard of a typo or typing the wrong word because you are typing too fast. I didn't know this was grammar school????

And I wasn't trashing any one just stating what my opinion was. Did I single anyone out? NO!

Edited by bigcountry

Siamese Dream was his baby guitar and bass-wise, I'm sure he'd have drummed too, but Chamberlain's a beast, just listen to 'Geek USA'

All of the SP records are his babies.

While GNR has many different contributors from many ends (vocals, instruments, songwriting) Billy Corgan IS Smashing Pumpkins. Even more so than Nirvana, in which Cobain WAS Mr.Everything he at least let them play instruments on the records. BC didn't even let James Iha and D'Arcy play on the records. 95% of the drum/bass/vocals is just him. The only one who played on nearly every track was Jimmy Chamberlain. Iha and D'Arcy were touring musicians at best.

Corgan could do everything himself. Axl needs back-up. Btw, I'm a far bigger GNR fan than SP, but facts are facts...

You mean 95% of the guitar/bass and vocals were all Corgan :) Not to mention the piano and synth parts too. Its pretty clear it wasn't a colaborative effort but hey, the other members still stuck around for a couple of albums. I always wondered why Billy recruited Iha, as Billy was the guitarist himself. I like SP and i think Billy is really cool to the fans and a really smart guy, his new album project has been praised by everyone and its free!!!! I also like how no one SP song sounds like another SP song(or any other song for that matter) although some of their songs i don't like.

Difference between Axl and Billy is that Axl doesn't go around saying he's the "voice of his generation."

Don't get me wrong. I like Smashing Pumpkins. Even the newer stuff (Zeitgeist, Song For a Son, etc.) are really good. But Billy is such a freakin' tool sometimes.

Although, Billy and Axl sure do have commonalities. Sole surviving band members, not married, no kids, crappy upbringing. Both pretty much do things the way that they want to career wise, regardless of what others are doin. I give them credit for that.

they did open for guns during the illusions tour :P

No shit?! Learn something new every day:) When I saw GNR back in 92 Faith No More opened and Metallica co-headlined. Talk about one killer show.

The difference is, Axl didn't write one lick of music on AFD. Corgan was ALWAYS the Kurt Cobain in his band meaning, he wrote most of the music along with the vocal melodies.

Axl wrote most of the vocal melodies for AFD. Axl had written music when AFD was released. He already had written Nov Rain by the time AFD came out.

Gnr were a band were as SP was always pretty much just Billy but Corgan has not written a decent album since Adore and I love the pumpkins.

Billy Corgan also is a terrible live singer, he can only sing in the studio

And Sure compare Corgan to Cobain, its a good one, both of their lyrics are not as deep or good as Axl's.

NIrvana and SP are both great bands but Gnr were miles better and for the record, Dave Grohel was the true talent in nirvana.

Edited by gnr-dave

whoops. :D

Brain fart

I don't know why he broke up SP and created Zwan. That band also included Jimmy Chamberlain. Than he breaks up Zwan, goes Solo, complains in a full page ad that he wants his band back, and re-forms SP with JC and other musicians... Now that JC is gone (again), he's gonna continue with SP...

What was the point of Zwan. It's basically just like SP with a different name... confusing...

To my mind it was because he thought that there was a certain stigma attached to the name Smashing Pumpkins, and just wanted to create music. He dropped it and created a supergroup, the album wasn't killer although it is very listenable, however the real quality from Zwan lies in the unreleased/live stuff. Really showcases Corgan's softer creative talent - some of my favourite Corgan songs are from this material.

After the apparent discord in the Zwan camp (the other band members allegedly were more interested in self promotion and taking drugs than making the band work) he decided "fuck it, I love my Pumpkins songs, I miss playing them - why should I deny myself and my fans something we enjoy just for fear of what the media/my detractors think". He thought that running from the Pumpkins creatively would make him happy, but he realised it was the opposite. He got a lot of stick for that full page ad stunt, but in it he basically admitted he was wrong, and wanted his band back. So that took a lot of guts IMO. A lot of what he says is taken out of context too. Listening back, his solo album is very interesting, and would have garnered much more praise if an unknown artist has released it.

There are obviously massive parralells with Axl, no wonder he can appreciate GNR and why Axl does what he does.