OK Computer vs. Achtung Baby

SunnyDRE

OK Computer vs. Achtung Baby  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

I think, in all fairness, there should be a "would rather have my penis chewed off by starving rats than listen to U2" option on the poll ;)

I think, in all fairness, there should be a "would rather have my penis chewed off by starving rats than listen to U2" option on the poll ;)

Not to go off topic - but i'll never understand your hate for U2 - at least early U2.

from your posts in the past, i get that you love punk and post punk - mostly from the innovators and founders of those genres.

U2 was right there in terms of post punk.

if joy divison is the nirvana of post punk, then u2 is the pearl jam.

would you disagree?

Edited by SunnyDRE

Guest Len B'stard

would you disagree?

Violently :lol: U2 are to punk or post punk what The Mike Flowers Pops were to Britpop. They're so....awful. Just so artless and feeble and...i dunno, each to their own i guess, i got some shit that certain folks might consider pretty dubious shit in my CD collection too so, y'know, whatever, i just can't stand U2. I don't think they even register as musically inventive enough to be mentioned alongside the real post punk bands like Magazine and PiL etc. Post Punk was like...daringly innovative, Post Punk didn't get radioplay...and The Edge and his lame ass wannabe shots at being Keith Levene, please..

The thing I like about "OK Computer" was the "Meeting People Is Easy" rock doc that came out of that tour. It kind of gives you some idea of how boring their lives can get when they're on the road and doing interview after interview, posing for photos, etc. After this tour, they pretty much stopped doing "Creep" for a while .

Want to see a band on the verge of a breakdown or a breakup?

U2 went through their personal issues during the making of Achtung Baby... everything went wrong, their demos were stolen and bootlegged, divorces, debauchery (Bono wasn't much of a partier in the 80s... the 90s his wife gave him the okay to blow off steam), and they wound up becoming closer as a band. I think that's why "One" is so powerful... because they were also on the verge of a breakup. After that, they had fun on a grandiose scale

OK Computer. By a couple of miles. I admit that it took me a few listens to get into it but once I did, so many parts of the album became noticable and each song shines. The drums in Airbag, the solo in Lucky, the chorus in Subterranean Homesick Alien. Strip each of the songs back, and they're all perfectly crafted.

would you disagree?

Violently :lol: U2 are to punk or post punk what The Mike Flowers Pops were to Britpop. They're so....awful. Just so artless and feeble and...i dunno, each to their own i guess, i got some shit that certain folks might consider pretty dubious shit in my CD collection too so, y'know, whatever, i just can't stand U2. I don't think they even register as musically inventive enough to be mentioned alongside the real post punk bands like Magazine and PiL etc. Post Punk was like...daringly innovative, Post Punk didn't get radioplay...and The Edge and his lame ass wannabe shots at being Keith Levene, please..

well i respectfully disagree.

early u2 = the next joy division album if Ian curtis hadn't died.

Post Punk was daring innovative and u2's early albums where - when have we ever heard a band came out and say, we are punk and going to do what we want - and hey god and a certain sorta spirituality is behind that, so we are going to try and change the world with our music.

Never - and you don't see that now.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Not to go off topic - but i'll never understand your hate for U2 - at least early U2.

from your posts in the past, i get that you love punk and post punk - mostly from the innovators and founders of those genres.

U2 was right there in terms of post punk.

would you disagree?

Post punk more or less started when Bowie worked with Brian Eno. Maybe starting with Station to Station, but Heroes, Low, Lodger, Scary Monsters were very different, and available in most record stores.

The general public just thought Bowie lost his mind at the end of the 70s, but what they were doing would change the face of music. Then in 1983 - he decided to write pop songs. And dance with Mick Jagger. And be in a muppet flick with Jennifer Connelly. But credit goes to him for getting Stevie Ray Vaughn a high profile gig. But at the end of the 80s, he decided to be a "band member" in Tin Machine, and got back to writing great songs in the 90s.

New Order is the Pearl Jam of post punk... lose the lead singer, change the name of a band, move on in a new direction.

Killing Joke might be the closest thing to a "Nirvana of post punk".

U2 sounded like nothing else at the time... just put "Boy" on. And what would U2 have done without Brian Eno on Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree (and the rest I left off?). Plus Roxy Music influenced a LOT of bands, so they should be in the Rock Hall anyway.

But U2 had to be innovative because they were crap as a cover band. Plus they didn't have much money. Edge and his brother had to build the guitar from scrap parts.

They were def. in a "failure is not an option" mindset, and worked with a LOT of limited resources. Edge is no guitar virtuoso, but the sounds he's come up with for U2 are pretty original.

When you watch the clip of Live Aid from 85, there's 2 performances people remember - U2 and Queen. U2 did one song people knew, and one song people didn't. But it was that show plus Live at Red Rocks (which summed up the best of the first 3 albums) that made them famous.

Guest Len B'stard

would you disagree?

well i respectfully disagree.

early u2 = the next joy division album if Ian curtis hadn't died.

The next Joy Division? :lol: They already had a name, they were called New Order ;)

when have we ever heard a band came out and say, we are punk and going to do what we want - and hey god and a certain sorta spirituality is behind that, so we are going to try and change the world with our music.

Umm, i dunno, hows about People with Larry Norman? :)

I agree PiL are post punk.. and so are XraySpex, Elvis Costello .. even Joan Armatrading (what the heck) But U2 are more like new romantic crossed with industrial pop. Having said that I chose achtung baby over ok computer only on sentimental reasons as i like both.

One is the greatest album of all time, the other was unjustly hyped by music critics which somehow gave Radiohead fans the impression that Radiohead was and is to this day the only band on the planet with any amount of creativity or originality. I like Radiohead and Ok Computer was ok but it's not even in the top 3 of Radiohead albums in my opinion. Achtung Baby is better without question.