Malcolm Mclaren dead at 64

Zint

Malcolm McLaren dead a 64

Former Sex Pistols manager and major punk rock figure Malcolm McLaren has died. He was 64.

McLaren died Thursday Morning in New York, according to the UK Independent. His body is expected to be taken home London England and buried in Highgate cemetery.

His spokesman Les Molloy told The Independent, "He had been suffering from cancer for some time, but recently had been full of health, which then rapidly deteroriated."

McLaren was best known as manager of the 1970s UK punk band The Sex Pistols.

He also owned a clothing shop, opened in 1971, with his then partner and now-iconic designer, Vivienne Westwood. Westwood and McLaren have a son, Joseph Corre, who went on to found Lingerie brand Agent Provocateur.

The Pistols' 1977 single, God Save The Queen (which was, of course, anti-Queen) was released during the week of the Queen's silver jubilee. It was banned from broadcast but still reached #2 on the charts.

After the Sex Pistols split, McLaren embarked on a solo career. His 1983 album Duck Rock blended hip hop with African, South and North American and Carribbean sound, among others, andhas since become a critical favourite. In 1984, he released the single Madame Butterfly, which blended opera and electronica, and which I remember really well. It turns out it wasn't as big a hit as I thought it was. He also created the 198s New Wave band Bow Wow Wow.

The Independent says that, more recently he stood the London mayoralty in 2000 and "Amongst his policies was the serving of alcohol in libraries."

source

Edited by zint61

Guest Len B'stard

It'll be interesting to hear Mr. Lydon's response to this..

It won't be derogatory, John ain't like that. Remember the end of his autobiography and he wrote that he didn't have any animosity or hatred towards him? He tells that story where Bernie Rhodes worked to get them to meet each other in some restaurant and they did and malcolm started waffling on and bernie went to the toilet n john leaned over to Malcolm and said, look, i don't like you and you don't like me, shall we just leave it at that? And they shook hands and went their way, leaving Bernie with the bill. Ever get the feeling you been cheated? :lol:

John didn't have many kind words to say about Joe Strummer while he was alive either but afterwards he said that it was all just ribbing and Joe knew it and thats all that matters, Johns a decent guy, if a bit Rotten.

anyway, RIP Talcy, you were one of a fucking kind, thank you :)

It won't be derogatory, John ain't like that. Remember the end of his autobiography and he wrote that he didn't have any animosity or hatred towards him? He tells that story where Bernie Rhodes worked to get them to meet each other in some restaurant and they did and malcolm started waffling on and bernie went to the toilet n john leaned over to Malcolm and said, look, i don't like you and you don't like me, shall we just leave it at that? And they shook hands and went their way, leaving Bernie with the bill. Ever get the feeling you been cheated? :lol:

John didn't have many kind words to say about Joe Strummer while he was alive either but afterwards he said that it was all just ribbing and Joe knew it and thats all that matters, Johns a decent guy, if a bit Rotten.

Yeah I figured as much,even though John loathed him immensely,I'm sure his death will be handled in a respectable manner.

He's said all he has to say about him anyway and it's all documnted for prosperity. :tongue2:

Vivienne Westwood's career and punk style can be credited to him. The music, not so much. I doubt Branson would be flying rocket ships without the Pistols though, and you don't see managers like that anymore, young guys who talk a good talk and hype a band up like a carny. They might not be competent, but they are def. a big part of a band. He was the punk rock Col Parker, but actually had some talent as an artist in his own right.

To me, his influence is when you see kids wear Che Guevara t-shirts or anything that might get offend people like a swastika (relelvant with all the Jesse James affairs in the news)., or when Axl might have worn a t-shirt that might get blurred on TV, and winds up getting people to talk about it.

He brought light to London at a time when it was at its most dark and bleak since WWII. The economy was horrible, people were overtaxed and angry - in a few short years the country got a kick in the pants... he provided the shoes, Lydon wore them, and the rest is history.

I like "Great Rock and Roll Swindle", but I think he did more damage to himself with that movie in the long run.

He also made a few bucks off of Eminem's "Without Me"..

Vivienne Westwood's career and punk style can be credited to him. The music, not so much. I doubt Branson would be flying rocket ships without the Pistols though, and you don't see managers like that anymore, young guys who talk a good talk and hype a band up like a carny. They might not be competent, but they are def. a big part of a band. He was the punk rock Col Parker, but actually had some talent as an artist in his own right.

To me, his influence is when you see kids wear Che Guevara t-shirts or anything that might get offend people like a swastika (relelvant with all the Jesse James affairs in the news)., or when Axl might have worn a t-shirt that might get blurred on TV, and winds up getting people to talk about it.

He brought light to London at a time when it was at its most dark and bleak since WWII. The economy was horrible, people were overtaxed and angry - in a few short years the country got a kick in the pants... he provided the shoes, Lydon wore them, and the rest is history.

I like "Great Rock and Roll Swindle", but I think he did more damage to himself with that movie in the long run.

He also made a few bucks off of Eminem's "Without Me"..

Well put...a nice take on things.

Cheers for that!

Guest Len B'stard

Rottens actually on record as saying Malcolm was the fifth member of the band in the book by Judy Vermorel and whatshisface. Sid is later questioned on the notion and he's like, fuck no :lol:

Sylvain Sylvain speaks out..

from NME:

April 8, 2010

New York Dolls' guitarist Sylvain Sylvain has paid tribute to his former manager Malcolm McLaren, who died earlier today (April 8) after suffering with cancer.

Talking to NME.COM, the guitarist said that McLaren was a "beautiful guy" who was "ahead of his time".

"Me and Malcolm [McLaren] always stayed friends throughout the years," he explained. "He always had a great sense of humour, he always had a smile on his face. He would cheer you up if you were down."

Adding that he thought McLaren had "opened up the doors" for punk music across the world, he revealed that New York Dolls would dedicate their song 'Jet Boy' to McLaren at their upcoming show at London's Koko on April 19.

McLaren managed New York Dolls up until they broke up in 1976.

Guest Len B'stard

Johansen has too...and Vivienne Westwood...and Alan McGhee...and Steve Jones..

Steve Jones remembers Malcolm McLaren: "I was upset when I heard the news, as Ive always had a soft spot for Malcolm. I knew him since I was 17 before the Pistols formed - I used to drive him around in Vivienne Westwoods car to the tailors in London in the days of the Let It Rock clothing store. Malcolm was definitely the Brian Epstein of punk - without him it wouldnt have happened the way it did. I stayed friends with him throughout the years despite some of our differences. He came on Jonesys Jukebox a couple of years ago, and thats a good memory. But my fondest memory of Malcolm, and I loved the guy, was his birthday gift to me when I turned 21 - he got me a hooker and some heroin."

And Glen Matlock too:

Edited by sugaraylen