I want to get into some old rock bands

Towelie

c'mon you don't care for Led Zeppelin? EVERYBODY loves Black Dog!

& the fact AC/DC didn't strike a chord with ya baffles me... give a listen to Thunderstruck

With AC/DC I bought Black Ice and Back In Black. Both sounded a bit MOR for me.

I did dig some Led Zeppelin tracks, but none of their albums grabbed me.

Anything by the 13th Floor Elevators.

Skip almost every other recommandation in this thread except this one.

Then go get yourself some Raw Power,New York Dolls debut,some MC5,Alice Cooper Killer,Deep Purple In Rock,sprinkle some Double Live Gonzo on top.

Now we are talking!

And while you're at it get the Sonics' first one, some Ramones and Kinks too!

I recently tried getting into some older rock bands (namely Led Zeppelin and AC/DC) but it didn't really do anything for me.

then there's no hope for you.

Led Zeppelin never did anything for me, either. AC/DC is cool for the occasional fun-song-session, sure, but Zeppelin is something else. There's maybe one or two songs I kinda like, the rest never clicked with me. I'd love to, but it doesn't happen. :shrugs:

Shame on me. :crazy:

I would get the music that influenced the bands you listen to.

Queen, Elton John, Iggy Pop, Parliament Funkadelic, Beatles, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Slade, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath (up to Sabotage, then the Dio era), THe Doors, Pixies, The Vaselines, Lou Reed (if only for Transformer), Aerosmith, Skynyrd, The Clash, Van Halen, a 70s funk compilation that has the O-Jays and Ohio Players on it, and I'll stop there. And Creedence Clearwater Revival while drinking White Russians. And Rod Stewart stuff up to 1975.

Go to you tube and just start off with most watched videos.

quote name='Towelie' date='11 April 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1270997064' post='2650010']

I love rock music, my favourite bands are GNR, STP, RHCP, Nirvana, Foos and VR. I recently tried getting into some older rock bands (namely Led Zeppelin and AC/DC) but it didn't really do anything for me.

Can any of you guys recommend some older rock bands for me to try? I would appreciate any song/album titles to look up.

Try Donovan

Hurdy Gurdy Man (song about the Maharishi, but kind of a haunting creepy song, too), Season of the Witch, Lalena, Atlantis, Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow, Catch the Wind, Universal Soldier, There is a Mountain, Jennifer Juniper. Barabajagal is Donovan backed by Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart.

Not in the Rock Hall. Which makes no sense, because he influenced a lot of people.

And guess who's been playing drums with Donovan?

http://www.mattsorum.tv/global-sound-lodge-to-play-with-donovan/