Muse

bucket13

I have the unfortunate task to share with everyone who cares (LOL) that my preferred flavor of Guns with some Roses on top has been lost.

It is not GONE permanently and completely its just been...diminished I guess could be a good word?

What i'm trying to say is they were once my #1 band and nothing would tell me otherwise.

But unfortunately people grow and change and shit happens and me and Michael Kelly (my lawyer) agree that its best to call this marriage between me and Axlslashizzyduffsteven off.

Its not them as it is me....I hope they understand :violin:

CHRIST

I feel like im making a eulogy or some shit. :rolleyes:

ANYWAY

Topic of Discussion: MUSE

Great band.

Great songs.

Great show.

Great everything.

I suggest everyone at least take a peek at them if you have not allowed Muse to grace the presence of your ears because they will BLOW YOUR FUCKING FACE OFF!!! :scared:

Black Holes and Revelations is an AMAZING album

For MUSE virgins I'd suggest these songs (in order);

Hysteria (<--if nothing else just listen to that song)

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Knights of Cydonia

Bliss

I found my new love :wub:

AND WE'RE PREGNANT!!!!! :crazy:

:krider:

P.S. FOR HATERZ ONLY;

if you have any type of hating comment or whatever thats fine. Take it up with your door knob. It will give you a good answer. :)

This is a funny thread, because I've known them long before GNR, I first heard of and fell in love with Muse in very early 2000 and first saw them live in 2001 (I only heard of GNR in 2004 and fell in love with em in 2008 but that's another story). My first band was a Muse cover band so not only do I know all Muse songs by heart but I also play like 90% of their songs (including b-sides) both on piano and guitar.

If some of you here got rare GNR video footage, I got some Muse videos that nobody else in the world has, and I know for fact, like the video of Eternally missed live, the first time it was ever played in Avenches in 2002, the satellite quality of MCM cafe in 1999 (the only online version there is is a terrible version of it) and other stuff so believe me I was a BIG fan.

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Knights of Cydonia

Bliss

This is IMO a list for noobs. I'm not beeing agressive but it's the kind of music that goes on radio to attract casual listeners, it's far from being their best songs (apart from Knights of Cydonia who is indeed one of their very best songs). Here are the songs that made me fall in love with the band:

Showbiz

Cave

Do We need this? (there is something very dark about this song, it brings back so much memory to me it's incredible)

Space Dementia (my fav OOS song)

Citizen Erased (one of the elite Muse songs)

Dead Star (just awesomeness)

In Your World

Shrinking Universe

Map of your heard

Eternally Missed

Apocalypse Please

Stockholm Syndrome

Endlessly

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Exo-Politics

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Knights of Cydonia

Uprising

Unnatural Selection

I belong to you (+ Mon coeur s'ouvre à ta voix)

MK ultra

Exogenesis I/II/III

and of course, the ultimate muse song, New Born, I think that when it first came out, it's the song I've listened to the most.

To me, all of their albums are awesome, and I particularly enjoyed the last one who is the simplest in terms of composition, but maybe the most catchy one (to me anyway), I don't hate a single song on it except Undisclosed Desires (and Resistance is too similar to past muse songs).

However, as of the live performance and Muse attitude in general, it's another story. You know they've grown old with me and I'm disappointed to have seen the evolution. Back in 2001, when I saw them in le Zenith paris, not only is it the best memory of my life in terms of music gigs, but it was their most powerful performance, anyway the most powerful I've witnessed from them. Everything about this gig was perfect, the Tom Waits intro, the opening on Dead Star ( yes they opened with a b-side!!), Dark Shines was played and it kicked major asses, Matthew was jumping everywhere, oh my god the ending of the Micro cuts riff was insane, and I'm not even talking about Showbiz and the hysteria when Dom hit the first notes of Citizen Erased. It was just insane. The band, the crowd of my generation, it's the ultimate Muse gig.

And since then, they've been going downward. 2003 in Bercy was cool, I loved Absolution and the setlist did great honour to the album, they played Endlessly from the album, I was hoping they'd play it because most of the fans hated it but I loved it, and I loved when Matt said "this next song is especially for you... " and he began playing Showbiz and everyone went nuts. Technically, the show was perfect, BUT they almost didn't communicate at all with the audience, it was like they were doing their thing and leaving then right away, and they weren't as crazy as in 2001. It had been 2 years since the 2001 show and I had a feeling of an uncomplete show when it was over. It was strange. It was like they weren't really there.

One year passed and I got to see them again in 2004 and... they played the exact same setlist as Bercy 2003 (except they threw in a b-side, The Groove, which made this setlist the exact same they had played in Lyon 2003 where they played the groove). It sucked, Chris hurt his arm so he was replaced on most songs by Morgan Nichols (who then joined the band from this point on for every gig until now in 2010 to help them live with added effects -and imo, Morgan Nichols is one of the problem why Muse lost their epicness-) on the bass. Everything about this show sucked ass, it was Bercy 2003 but in a parc, they didn't communicate at all, everything was extremely predictable. When the show was over I was like "what??? what happened to Muse?!". Hopefully they played a good b-side (which happened a lot in the early years, but in 2004 it was getting rare and later it didn't happen at all).

Two years passed, I saw them live three times in 2006 because I just wanted to see them live for one song: Exo-politics. It was my favourite song out of Black Holes & Revelations and I had a feeling it wouldn't be played live a lot because this song was played in 2005 as a "new song" and ultimately made it on the album. And if you know Muse, when they play a "new song" live and that it isn't on an album, it means they will most likely not play it again, sometimes it ends up as a b-side (like eternally missed, shrinking universe, futurism, glorious, crying shame...) or it ends up on the album but doesn't get played much (exo-politics, assassin).

Anyway, guess what, I went to three dates and they didn't play Exo-politics, out of the album they were supposed to be promoting, and out of the three dates, they played the EXACT SAME SETLIST in the SAME ORDER. NOT A SINGLE CHANGE. I was mad. The only two (or three times) they played Exo-politics was when they played the whole album back to back in the same order as the album (wow that's incredibly unpredictable eh?). They Never played Exo-politics again after 2006, even in 2007 when it was still the Black Holes & Revelations.

This is where I started to understand this band got lazy (it happened somewhere around 2004, maybe Morgan Nichols is part of the problem because this guy adds special effects or plays the synth, or another stuff, so it's harder for them to swap songs, when it was childishly easy when they were just 3 and weren't cheating): they were playing almost the exactly

same setlist everywhere, didn't communicate anymore and didn't promote their albums like they had to.

Worse than that, some old songs got SOFT when they played it live in 2006, like Sunburn. Before they got Morgan in the band, and if they played sunburn, it was a raw great song. But in 2006/2007, it was like listening to the album, with the same horrible effects on it. I hated it.

Exactly the same stuff happened in 2009. I went to 2 dates. Guess what? Same setlist. Same order, same songs, and they even dared play less songs than in 2007!! 17 songs, they played 90 minutes. How fucked up is that? The price of their tickets almost doubled since 2001 and they aren't playing any longer! I was pissed off. Of course the stage looked nice but who cares??? I don't give a rat's ass about the stage, I care about the music and how they move on stage! In 2009, they were playing on plateformes and were isolated each one from another, and weren't moving. It was terrible.

The setlist was more pop than rock, no b-side, no surprise,, no energy, no communication, it sucked ass. I felt wallet-raped. When I compared to 2001, I felt like crying, really, it was like Warner corrupted them, they weren't a rock band anymore, they were just here for the money.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop writing right here, because I can only say bad things about this band live. When you've known them like me and seen them live for 10 years, you can only be disappointed, unless you're blind or just want to have a "nice time" at a high price. I care about rock, real rock. And this is why Guns N' Roses of 2010 is PERFECT to me. When a guy like Ron Thal plays in front of a hotel to fans who didn't have a show, this is rock. When Axl Rose doesn't give a fuck about promoting Chinese Democracy in the medias and doesn't spend his time telling the fan "our shows are gonna be awesome" and YET plays 13 songs out of 14 songs of his latest album (which lenght is like 1 hour and 15 minutes when Muse albums are about 45/50 minutes long), this is real promotion of the album. Not bullshit, this is fucking rock n roll promotion.

When Axl communicates with the audience, when he knows how cheap it is to ask the audience to sing along to him, this is rock ( unlike Matt bellamy clapping in his hands on the pathetic song Starlight or lifting is finger with every 14 years old douchebag in the crowd imitating him - I mean, I can't stand this anymore, this would never have happened with old Muse). Axl Rose never betrayed himself, he stayed rock n roll and his band is all about rock n roll.

I've found real rock in Guns N' Roses. Muse were a rock band 10 years ago, 2001 was maybe their peak. Now it's just a sold out band worshipped by retard teenagers who liked the twilight movies or rich people driving expensive cars who can afford paying their tickets twice or three times the price (I'm not kidding, outside of Bercy 2009, the tickets were being sold at the black market for 4 times their prices and I saw rich 40 years old men buy that). They sold their ass to Warner and Morgan Nichols is an unecessary player.

That being said, their studio material is worth every penny. Muse was my fav band in 2001, we had a great love story and now it's over. Long live Guns N' Roses. But it's funny you discover Muse now, I've always felt those bands at one point share the same vibe.

I've loved them since I heard Butterflies & Hurricanes for the first time! Great band! They put out very good live shows, which always are appreciated. The only thing I need to say about their shows is that they're almost too perfect, a bit too systematic. They are in no way a bad band, but I can get a bit bored of them sometimes. It's one of my best friend's favorite band though, so I get to listen to them a lot!!

I've seen them live once, and will see them again at least one time this summer, maybe two.

Btw. Unated States of Eurasia is their best song in my opinon. I'm in LOVE with that song, it was amazing to hear it live. Finally another band dared to use vocals on vocals in layers as Queen is known for.

Edited by Scaramouche

This is a funny thread, because I've known them long before GNR, I first heard of and fell in love with Muse in very early 2000 and first saw them live in 2001 (I only heard of GNR in 2004 and fell in love with em in 2008 but that's another story). My first band was a Muse cover band so not only do I know all Muse songs by heart but I also play like 90% of their songs (including b-sides) both on piano and guitar.

If some of you here got rare GNR video footage, I got some Muse videos that nobody else in the world has, and I know for fact, like the video of Eternally missed live, the first time it was ever played in Avenches in 2002, the satellite quality of MCM cafe in 1999 (the only online version there is is a terrible version of it) and other stuff so believe me I was a BIG fan.

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Knights of Cydonia

Bliss

This is IMO a list for noobs. I'm not beeing agressive but it's the kind of music that goes on radio to attract casual listeners, it's far from being their best songs (apart from Knights of Cydonia who is indeed one of their very best songs). Here are the songs that made me fall in love with the band:

Showbiz

Cave

Do We need this? (there is something very dark about this song, it brings back so much memory to me it's incredible)

In Your World

Shrinking Universe

Map of your heard

Eternally Missed

Apocalypse Please

Stockholm Syndrome

Endlessly

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Exo-Politics

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Knights of Cydonia

Uprising

Unnatural Selection

MK ultra

Exogenesis I/II/III

and of course, the ultimate muse song, New Born, I think that when it first came out, it's the song I've listened to the most.

To me, all of their albums are awesome, and I particularly enjoyed the last one who is the simplest in terms of composition, but maybe the most catchy one (to me anyway), I don't hate a single song on it except Undisclosed Desires (and Resistance is too similar to past muse songs).

However, as of the live performance and Muse attitude in general, it's another story. You know they've grown old with me and I'm disappointed to have seen the evolution. Back in 2001, when I saw them in le Zenith paris, not only is it the best memory of my life in terms of music gigs, but it was their most powerful performance, anyway the most powerful I've witnessed from them. Everything about this gig was perfect, the Tom Waits intro, the opening on Dead Star ( yes they opened with a b-side!!), Dark Shines was played and it kicked major asses, Matthew was jumping everywhere, oh my god the ending of the Micro cuts riff was insane, and I'm not even talking about Showbiz and the hysteria when Dom hit the first notes of Citizen Erased. It was just insane. The band, the crowd of my generation, it's the ultimate Muse gig.

And since then, they've been going downward. 2003 in Bercy was cool, I loved Absolution and the setlist did great honour to the album, they played Endlessly from the album, I was hoping they'd play it because most of the fans hated it but I loved it, and I loved when Matt said "this next song is especially for you... " and he began playing Showbiz and everyone went nuts. Technically, the show was perfect, BUT they almost didn't communicate at all with the audience, it was like they were doing their thing and leaving then right away, and they weren't as crazy as in 2001. It had been 2 years since the 2001 show and I had a feeling of an uncomplete show when it was over. It was strange. It was like they weren't really there.

One year passed and I got to see them again in 2004 and... they played the exact same setlist as Bercy 2003 (except they threw in a b-side, The Groove, which made this setlist the exact same they had played in Lyon 2003 where they played the groove). It sucked, Chris hurt his arm so he was replaced on most songs by Morgan Nichols (who then joined the band from this point on for every gig until now in 2010 to help them live with added effects -and imo, Morgan Nichols is one of the problem why Muse lost their epicness-) on the bass. Everything about this show sucked ass, it was Bercy 2003 but in a parc, they didn't communicate at all, everything was extremely predictable. When the show was over I was like "what??? what happened to Muse?!". Hopefully they played a good b-side (which happened a lot in the early years, but in 2004 it was getting rare and later it didn't happen at all).

Two years passed, I saw them live three times in 2006 because I just wanted to see them live for one song: Exo-politics. It was my favourite song out of Black Holes & Revelations and I had a feeling it wouldn't be played live a lot because this song was played in 2005 as a "new song" and ultimately made it on the album. And if you know Muse, when they play a "new song" live and that it isn't on an album, it means they will most likely not play it again, sometimes it ends up as a b-side (like eternally missed, shrinking universe, futurism, glorious, crying shame...) or it ends up on the album but doesn't get played much (exo-politics, assassin).

Anyway, guess what, I went to three dates and they didn't play Exo-politics, out of the album they were supposed to be promoting, and out of the three dates, they played the EXACT SAME SETLIST in the SAME ORDER. NOT A SINGLE CHANGE. I was mad. The only two (or three times) they played Exo-politics was when they played the whole album back to back in the same order as the album (wow that's incredibly unpredictable eh?). They Never played Exo-politics again after 2006, even in 2007 when it was still the Black Holes & Revelations.

This is where I started to understand this band got lazy (it happened somewhere around 2004, maybe Morgan Nichols is part of the problem because this guy adds special effects or plays the synth, or another stuff, so it's harder for them to swap songs, when it was childishly easy when they were just 3 and weren't cheating): they were playing almost the exactly

same setlist everywhere, didn't communicate anymore and didn't promote their albums like they had to.

Worse than that, some old songs got SOFT when they played it live in 2006, like Sunburn. Before they got Morgan in the band, and if they played sunburn, it was a raw great song. But in 2006/2007, it was like listening to the album, with the same horrible effects on it. I hated it.

Exactly the same stuff happened in 2009. I went to 2 dates. Guess what? Same setlist. Same order, same songs, and they even dared play less songs than in 2007!! 17 songs, they played 90 minutes. How fucked up is that? The price of their tickets almost doubled since 2001 and they aren't playing any longer! I was pissed off. Of course the stage looked nice but who cares??? I don't give a rat's ass about the stage, I care about the music and how they move on stage! In 2009, they were playing on plateformes and were isolated each one from another, and weren't moving. It was terrible.

The setlist was more pop than rock, no b-side, no surprise,, no energy, no communication, it sucked ass. I felt wallet-raped. When I compared to 2001, I felt like crying, really, it was like Warner corrupted them, they weren't a rock band anymore, they were just here for the money.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop writing right here, because I can only say bad things about this band live. When you've known them like me and seen them live for 10 years, you can only be disappointed, unless you're blind or just want to have a "nice time" at a high price. I care about rock, real rock. And this is why Guns N' Roses of 2010 is PERFECT to me. When a guy like Ron Thal plays in front of a hotel to fans who didn't have a show, this is rock. When Axl Rose doesn't give a fuck about promoting Chinese Democracy in the medias and doesn't spend his time telling the fan "our shows are gonna be awesome" and YET plays 13 songs out of 14 songs of his latest album (which lenght is like 1 hour and 15 minutes when Muse albums are about 45/50 minutes long), this is real promotion of the album. Not bullshit, this is fucking rock n roll promotion.

When Axl communicates with the audience, when he knows how cheap it is to ask the audience to sing along to him, this is rock ( unlike Matt bellamy clapping in his hands on the pathetic song Starlight or lifting is finger with every 14 years old douchebag in the crowd imitating him - I mean, I can't stand this anymore, this would never have happened with old Muse). Axl Rose never betrayed himself, he stayed rock n roll and his band is all about rock n roll.

I've found real rock in Guns N' Roses. Muse were a rock band 10 years ago, 2001 was maybe their peak. Now it's just a sold out band worshipped by retard teenagers who liked the twilight movies or rich people driving expensive cars who can afford paying their tickets twice or three times the price (I'm not kidding, outside of Bercy 2009, the tickets were being sold at the black market for 4 times their prices and I saw rich 40 years old men buy that). They sold their ass to Warner and Morgan Nichols is an unecessary player.

That being said, their studio material is worth every penny. Muse was my fav band in 2001, we had a great love story and now it's over. Long live Guns N' Roses. But it's funny you discover Muse now, I've always felt those bands at one point share the same vibe.

Guarantee no one reads this.

Muse are a great live band, I've seen them twice and will see them again this summer. If you like their music at all I would definitely recommend seeing them live. Their studio stuff is kinda spotty though, they've got some great songs but plenty of stuff that I don't care about too... Their best album is probably Origin of Symmetry.

they have some really cool songs but god damn, talk about the most predictable arpeggios ever. I feel like they could be a lot more creative with their chord progressions but still a great band nonetheless

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Even on the first listen I could easily call out what the next chord would be, thats always kind of disappointing :shrugs:

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Knights of Cydonia

Bliss

Showbiz

Cave

In Your World

Shrinking Universe

Map of your heard

Eternally Missed

Apocalypse Please

Stockholm Syndrome

Endlessly

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Exo-Politics

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Knights of Cydonia

Uprising

Unnatural Selection

MK ultra

Exogenesis I/II/III

tl;dr

But as I said, they aren't a bad band. I can enjoy them from time to time.

to D..

(im not quoting everything cuz its WAYYY to big)

Yeah the list I gave was radio friendly because its for the people who don't know them yet and for the general audience who may not appreciate their classical and experimental roots (which is too bad but people have their own personal taste)

my PERSONAL favorites are;

Hysteria (i know its not THAT experimental but the bass riff in that song is unmatchable)

Map of the Problematique

Knights of Cydonia

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Apocalypse Please

Sunburn

Falling Down

Cave

Coma (yes Coma is also a Muse song and NO its not a cover of GNR's)

Bliss

Micro Cuts

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Take a Bow

Undisclosed Desires (that song is AMAZING)

MK Ultra

The Exogenesis Symphonies

also Eternally Missed, Fury, Futurism, and Easily but their only on singles not any albums

I'm jealous you got to see them in 2001. I wish I could have =/

I recently went to a show about a couple weeks ago and it was AMAZING

but while I was leaving a show I heard someone say to their friend

"that was really good but honestly, 5 years ago and for $10 the show was better"

and i was like WTF THAT WAS THE BEST SHOW EVER

but then I went on youtube and saw performances from the Origin and Absolution era and they were much more energetic onstage (their shows are still insane though)

:krider:

I couldn't get into the last album at all. As Bucket13 said, they've gotten too commercial, and now their music has suffered from it. They used to be a lot more complex and progressive than they are now, and plus they had an edge to them that's long gone now. That said, I do enjoy their other four albums, and had a decent time when I saw them back in March (though it's true there was a lack of interaction and energy between the members). I guess I'll just hope for a "return to form", and enjoy a few songs along the way.

I saw them at the a Big Day Out this year, was definitely the best show I've ever seen (granted I've only seen a few shows) I think The Resistance wasn't their best effort, but was a good album anyway. My favourite album of theirs is Absolution, and Origin Of Symmetry coming a close second.

I agree with whoever said that they're getting a little too commercial, their earlier stuff is definitely more unique than the current stuff. However they took a pretty big risk by putting a three part symphony on the album, but they turned out really well.

I hope the next album is a little more unique. Either way Matthew Bellamy is fucking awesome and I'm sure that whatever he does next will be amazing.