Slash on his feud with Axl Rose

LaRocker

Axl won't reunite, or become friends again not out of spite, or hate, or revenge but for the simple fact that in his mind, he loses. I honestly believe Axl is viewing this as a life long test of attrition.

The longer he does this nu-gnr, the longer he gives the finger to everyone and I think he likes that.

I agree completely.

This is the only reason I can figure that Axl is doing this.

Disagree completely.

It's pretty clear that he has no desire to ever go back to working with Slash and reuniting the old band. Maybe he just doesn't want to do that again and has moved on. I think it's that simple.

Ali

Ali, I think he will ALWAYS have a desire to work with Slash again. I just think his pride/ego will never let him admit that because in Axl's mind that would be a failure. Seriously, do you think Axl would rather write with Ashba or Slash, serious? Slash gets him as a guitar player better than any other guitar player has.

I don't agree at all. I think that's what some people desperately want to believe so they can cling to some hope of a reunion. Hope that if Axl finally sets aside his "pride/ego", the precious reunion will happen. Just because he and Slash had creative chemistry together, that doesn't necessarily come close to balancing whatever other issues they may have and therefore creating any motivation or desire to work with him again.

Axl has worked with Izzy. He has indicated he'd be open to working with Duff again. There is NOTHING Axl has said that has indicated any desire to work with Slash again.

Ali

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl won't reunite, or become friends again not out of spite, or hate, or revenge but for the simple fact that in his mind, he loses. I honestly believe Axl is viewing this as a life long test of attrition.

The longer he does this nu-gnr, the longer he gives the finger to everyone and I think he likes that.

I agree completely.

Disagree completely.

It's pretty clear that he has no desire to ever go back to working with Slash and reuniting the old band. Maybe he just doesn't want to do that again and has moved on. I think it's that simple.

Ali

Ali, I think he will ALWAYS have a desire to work with Slash again. I just think his pride/ego will never let him admit that because in Axl's mind that would be a failure. Seriously, do you think Axl would rather write with Ashba or Slash, serious? Slash gets him as a guitar player better than any other guitar player has.

I don't agree at all. I think that's what some people desperately want to believe so they can cling to some hope of a reunion. Hope that if Axl finally sets aside his "pride/ego", the precious reunion will happen. Just because he and Slash had creative chemistry together, that doesn't necessarily come close to balancing whatever other issues they may have and therefore creating any motivation or desire to work with him again.

Axl has worked with Izzy. He has indicated he'd be open to working with Duff again. There is NOTHING Axl has said that has indicated any desire to work with Slash again.

Ali

Again, by Axl admitting that, it means there is a chance he was wrong, and he can't risk that. Don't understand what you are missing here. And in 1999, he told Loder the only person he could make a proper rock album with would be Slash, and because Slash is no longer in the band, he try other things musically. Axl knows Slash is the only one that can really bring the rock "GNR" style.

I agree completely.

Disagree completely.

Ali

Ali

Again, by Axl admitting that, it means there is a chance he was wrong, and he can't risk that. Don't understand what you are missing here. And in 1999, he told Loder the only person he could make a proper rock album with would be Slash, and because Slash is no longer in the band, he try other things musically. Axl knows Slash is the only one that can really bring the rock "GNR" style.

By admitting what? That they had creative chemistry together and wrote some great songs together? So what? I don't see how admitting that makes him "wrong". It doesn't change the fact that he has moved on and it doesn't negate everything else. There is nothing to indicate that he has any remaining desire to make a traditional blues-based rock record, anyway. Nothing he has said indicates to making those kinds of records again. So, there would be no desire to work with Slash again.

Ali

Axl's ego could never allow him to go back with Slash at this point even if he secretly wanted to.

Slash would be seen as the prodigal son who came back to save GNR from half filled arenas (in the U.S) and musical irrelevancy, and would probably be given credit for an inevitable resurgence in GNR's popularity compared to the CD era.

Axl's ego could never allow him to go back with Slash at this point even if he secretly wanted to.

Slash would be seen as the prodigal son who came back to save GNR from half filled arenas (in the U.S) and musical irrelevancy, and would probably be given credit for an inevitable resurgence in GNR's popularity compared to the CD era.

^^^^This, Naupis gets it. Ali, it doesn't matter if Axl desire's Slash back or not, he cannot, and will not let it happen. He will go down with his ship out of pride.

^^^^This, Naupis gets it. Ali, it doesn't matter if Axl desire's Slash back or not, he cannot, and will not let it happen. He will go down with his ship out of pride.

First off, this "secret desire" thing is completely irrelevant. If it is "secret", there is no way to confirm or deny it exists. And I don't see any reason to believe it does. Either way, there is no reason to believe a reunion will happen. All conspiracy theories and idle speculations and "secret" desires and motivations, there is no reason to think that Axl wants to work with Slash. He considers him to be a cancerous presence in his life and a liar. Sometimes, that's enough to not want to interact with someone.

Ali

Edited by Ali

First off, this "secret desire" thing is completely irrelevant. If it is "secret", there is no way to confirm or deny it exists, which I don't see any reason to believe it does. Either way, there is no reason to believe a reunion will happen. All conspiracy theories and idle speculations and "secret" desires and motivations, there is no reason to think that Axl wants to work with Slash. He considers him to be a cancerous presence in his life and a liar. Sometimes, that's enough to not want to interact with someone.

Ali

Ali, we are not saying he does, we are saying that it doesn't matter if he does want Slash back, he won't do it for many reasons, the main one being his ego and taking him back in Axl's mind means Axl failed. Brian May once commented that Axl still hasn't found a replacement for Slash, Slash left a huge void for sure. We have to speculate because Axl won't give us his true feelings.

First off, this "secret desire" thing is completely irrelevant. If it is "secret", there is no way to confirm or deny it exists, which I don't see any reason to believe it does. Either way, there is no reason to believe a reunion will happen. All conspiracy theories and idle speculations and "secret" desires and motivations, there is no reason to think that Axl wants to work with Slash. He considers him to be a cancerous presence in his life and a liar. Sometimes, that's enough to not want to interact with someone.

Ali

Ali, we are not saying he does, we are saying that it doesn't matter if he does want Slash back, he won't do it for many reasons, the main one being his ego and taking him back in Axl's mind means Axl failed. Brian May once commented that Axl still hasn't found a replacement for Slash, Slash left a huge void for sure. We have to speculate because Axl won't give us his true feelings.

That's where I think you're wrong. He HAS given his true feelings. He called him a liar and a cancer. You say those things about people you don't trust and don't want to be associated with. I don't know how much more direct someone could be when describing how they feel about someone. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Occam's Razor.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Ali

That's where I think you're wrong. He HAS given his true feelings. He called him a liar and a cancer. You say those things about people you don't trust and don't want to be associated with. I don't know how much more direct someone could be when describing how they feel about someone. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Occam's Razor.

Ali

He is bitter, pissed, and emotional, if he used to love Slash in the past, he will always be capable to love him in the future. They are just that divorced couple where one spouse still is bitter over the divorce (Axl) and won't let go and says crazy shit like "he is a cancer" or "should have left GNR after lies". Its just plain silly.

Sometimes when certain lines are crossed, there is no going back. I think you are clinging to some seriously wishful thinking with him being capable of loving Slash in the future. Sometimes that just cannot happen and there is every reason at this point to think this is one of those cases.

Ali

Edited by Ali

Ali

Well it's too bad if he doesn't want to be associated with Slash anymore. He's always been associated with him and will be forever. There's no escaping that. Same with Slash. He doesn't want to be associated with Axl, but he always will be. It's in the maths: Axl+Slash=Fucking awesomeness.

And we don't know what Axl really thinks of Slash. I'm not saying he's a liar, but there's no way of telling whether Axl actually hates Slash or if he just wants to make it seem that way, probably to avoid reunion questions. Personally, I don't think he hates him at all. Probably the opposite, actually.

Ali

Well it's too bad if he doesn't want to be associated with Slash anymore. He's always been associated with him and will be forever. There's no escaping that. Same with Slash. He doesn't want to be associated with Axl, but he always will be. It's in the maths: Axl+Slash=Fucking awesomeness.

And we don't know what Axl really thinks of Slash. I'm not saying he's a liar, but there's no way of telling whether Axl actually hates Slash or if he just wants to make it seem that way, probably to avoid reunion questions. Personally, I don't think he hates him at all. Probably the opposite, actually.

I can understand why someone would want to believe that Axl doesn't actually hate Slash. But, let's be honest, it's not like he has ever vacillated in his stance on a reunion and working with Slash. There is no reason to think Axl has been insincere in describing how he feels about Slash.

Ali

I can understand why someone would want to believe that Axl doesn't actually hate Slash. But, let's be honest, it's not like he has ever vacillated in his stance on a reunion and working with Slash. There is no reason to think Axl has been insincere in describing how he feels about Slash.

Ali

Sure there is. One being the reason I said, to dismiss reunion rumours. Another being is that Axl changes his tune about these kind of things every few years. In 2006 he wasn't negative at all (that I could see, anyway) about Slash. I'm not referring to the RS interview, but in other appearances and interviews he seemed positive. In the Eddie Trunk interview he didn't say anything negative about Slash. Hell, he even complemented him.

The thing is that we don't know how he feels about Slash at this exact time. The last time we heard from him (interview wise) was a year and a half ago. Is it not possible that he's changed his mind in that time? I'd be willing to bet that his 'hatred' has at least subsided a little bit.

I agree completely.

Disagree completely.

Ali

Ali

When people stop caring whether they reunite or not, they'll prob. do it. No one expected Pink Floyd to reunite, or Dave to ever be on the same stage with the VH brothers, but they agreed to it because Wolfgang wanted to do it, not Ed. He had buried that idea long ago.

If Axl has kids and his kids ask him to do it, maybe he'll do it for them. Maybe if there's a cause he feels so strongly about to put it behind him for a night, he'll do it. But he has no reason to do it right now. He has a bunch of music Slash would have no fucking idea how to play and have to learn, and Slash would prob. be a complete dick about it and start screwing with Axl's head and playing songs the way he feels like it. Axl has already sent his band through bootcamp and have their shit together. Any "outsiders" better be prepared, former bandmates or not.

Ali

Sure there is. One being the reason I said, to dismiss reunion rumours. Another being is that Axl changes his tune about these kind of things every few years. In 2006 he wasn't negative at all (that I could see, anyway) about Slash. I'm not referring to the RS interview, but in other appearances and interviews he seemed positive. In the Eddie Trunk interview he didn't say anything negative about Slash. Hell, he even complemented him.

The thing is that we don't know how he feels about Slash at this exact time. The last time we heard from him (interview wise) was a year and a half ago. Is it not possible that he's changed his mind in that time? I'd be willing to bet that his 'hatred' has at least subsided a little bit.

What I said was he has not vacillated in his stance on working with Slash. He has never changed his tune on wanting to work with him again. That's not the same as not being negative about him consistently. And saying he loved (which he corrected in the Spinner interview) Slash to RS in 2006 (loved, as in past tense) is no indication his current feelings have changed.

Yes, of course, some of the anger could have subsided in the last year and a half or so. But, that still doesn't mean that he would be open to working with him again. All we know for sure is that of the last time it came up, he doesn't want to work with Slash.

Ali

I don't think Axl really hated Slash after the breakup of the original lineup.

When you listen to the 1999 interview, Axl seems to be very respectful of the man and he even says that he had to change the direction of the band because he could not see himself make this kind of music without Slash.

Then Slash started to communicate a lot...

Then Slash released meh-ish records...

Then Axl called him a cancer...

But yeah, in the chats he suggested that he was under the impression that Slash wanted to get hold of the band for a long time, as soon as the beginning of the UYI recordings. Who knows if he really means that ?

Who knows if he really means that ?

Puh-leeze, we all know, I mean, we were all told by the media that Slash = cool, Axl = asshole. Slash never did anything wrong :rolleyes: .

obviously. i mean, have you seen his hat? its awesome.

It's a thin line between love and hate... :rolleyes:

I don't know for you guys, but I can't say that Axl hates Slash (or Slash hate Axl), because I don't know them...we've got just few interviews and now we're playing psychologists <_<

Well after Slash left Guns, he told in his book that some time after it Axl contacted him and tryed very hard to get him back in the band, while Slash keept refusing, I do believe Axl took his final word and kept it till today, I guess.