The Doors

American Psycho

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really get the hype. They were huge for a second, probably bigger because Jim died young. I do draw some similarities between Jim and Axl though. Poets, stage presence and unexpected behaviour.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

One of the really best bands ever. It's a shame I haven't listened much to them last years. I'll start doing that again.

Seems like a lot of these rockers join that "27 Club": Mojo, Joplin, Hendrix, Cobain, Brian Jones, "Pigpen". I do wonder what would have become of the Doors if Jim hadn't died.

they probably would have aged well as did dylan, orbison, petty (to a lesser extent) etc. they had good chemistry and were talented individuals. jim would have been a poet till the day he died. the only thing that might have happened is ray would have broken off onto his own path - which would have meant the end of the doors as far as their sound goes. imo.

I just saw People Are Strange, that new Doors documentary. Robbie is one of the best guitarists ever, he is really underrated, even though the Doors are so huge. I also love how Ray placed that organ.

Jim, Jim is the all time greatest vocalist and frontman. I also loved his lyrics, when ever i listen to a Doors song i get sucked in like im there. I dont know why but i do.

Guest Len B'stard

I've never managed to get into them. As much as I tried, it just didn't work out. Same with Zeppelin, so far. I guess I'm just weird. :shrugs:

No, Zeppelin are just boring old hippie crap, thats why you can't get into them. Give The Doors another day in court though, might be rewarding :)

I've never managed to get into them. As much as I tried, it just didn't work out. Same with Zeppelin, so far. I guess I'm just weird. :shrugs:

No, Zeppelin are just boring old hippie crap, thats why you can't get into them. Give The Doors another day in court though, might be rewarding :)

Well your opinion, i say give the two another chance. Zeppelin is not boring.

Not only that but Zeppelin came at the end of the hippie era, and their music and lyrics were not hippie at all. LZ I and II came out in 1969, the year of Altamont--the end of the Hippie era, LZ III in 1970 and LZ IV in 1971, Houses of the Holy in '73, Physical Graffiti in '75 and that is their peak of popularity and critical success--and 1975 was long past the hippie era.

Guest Len B'stard
They had nothing to do with the hippie generation really. Doors had more hippie in them than Zeppelin did.

I meant in attitude, The Doors were more part of that generation yes but they were almost the antidote to it, judging it from the inside, The Doors were dark "walk across the floor with a flower in your hand". Zeppelin were just...boring self indulgent self important fucking....ugh, Hobbits and fucking Lord of the God knows what, can't stand em. I like Rock n Roll, i like Black Dog, i like Whole Lotta Love...other than that? Fucking dreadful...which is odd cuz i love the Blues but...i don't think they do anything for it, much like Eric Clapton. At least Clapton had Cream and did a respectable enough job of melding it with psychedelia, not half as good as Mr Hendrix did though. See if you're gonna fuck around with the blues thats the way to go about it, Hendrix lit a firecracker up under the blues, took it into fucking hyperdrive...do something with it, add something to it...like The Stones also did...Led Zeppelin were just tiresome...to me at least.

Hippie isn't expressly an insult but it can be...the hippies themselves and a lot of the music that was OF the time was great...but the direction it ultimately took music in, the Zeppelins of this world and all that prog rock bullshit...boring. Pink Floyd, i just vomited in my mouth.

Not only that but Zeppelin came at the end of the hippie era, and their music and lyrics were not hippie at all. LZ I and II came out in 1969, the year of Altamont--the end of the Hippie era, LZ III in 1970 and LZ IV in 1971, Houses of the Holy in '73, Physical Graffiti in '75 and that is their peak of popularity and critical success--and 1975 was long past the hippie era.

The hippie era in terms of popular culture was over by 69, yes but its attitudes weren't, all that self indulgent soloing bullshit, its just so hackneyed and unispired...Zeppelin to me are about crappy songs about shit that you can't relate to that just goes on and on. I actually really tried to get into em too...i just couldn't. I mean the late 70s punk era is over too, you wouldn't know it, lookin' at some bands.

Edited by sugaraylen

Clapton was at his best when he brought out his blues influences. I saw him in concert when he supported "From the Cradle". He started the concert saying "No rock, no pop, just the blues" and it was the best Clapton I had ever heard. Zepellin, they were okay, though I tire of them pretty easily.

Guest deleted_19765

Jim was an excellent Blues singer and The Doors themselves probably had the coolest take on the Blues happening at that time. It was actually a lot closer to Chicago than the others. In Chicago Blues, guitar isn't necessarily the focal point, and incorporation of organ as well as guitar on a somewhat equal plane was more reminiscent of Chess Records than two guitar acts like The Stones. They also had that ability to really freak you out or make you cry at their best. I think that Jim was sloppier than we permit as a lyricist but he always made the music transcendent, like some kind of strange LA secret that you don't expect to be hearing. He sort of reminds me of Anthony Kiedis in this. Are the words stupid or genius? I'm not really sure. Am I listening? Yes.

You need to talk about a lot of songs to give the right sense of The Doors. What the fuck is something like "Hyacinth House"? Who else could have made that? Like the best acts of the 1960s, they don't really seem to be of a piece with anyone.

Nope, I'm the same way. I like a few Doors songs, but they don't do much for me as a whole. I guess they just sound too tame compared to the stuff I'm used to. Same with Zeppelin, although I enjoy a decent chunk of their stuff, I've never been able to become a big fan.

One of the, if not the most legendary rock n roll band, been a fan for years, there music & Jim's poetry has changed me as a person, can't wait to see the new doors movie, will be epic.

What do you think of this amazing band?

I think the Doors are awesome I don't listen to them much anymore but it's still great music

Edited by ThinkAboutYou