The Doors

American Psycho

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Break On Through is just a biography - the one called 'The Life and Death of Jim Morrison'. If it is the one I think it is then I preferred it to No One Here Gets Out Alive (Sugarmans book) as in particular it covered his formative years much better and it is always interesting to read about what the people you are interested in (i.e Morrison) were reading when they were younger and compare notes, so to speak.

I have read Ray and Johns books. Light My Fire and Riders On The Storm respectively I think. I always assumed Robbie does not have one?

As for When Youre Strange, yeah I loved it. Whoever said something about the quality of the footage in it I absolutely agree. It is a bizarre feeling to see 'new' old footage, especially in such perfect quality. I have made a few of my friends with only an interest in The Doors classics watch it and they all enjoyed it immensely.

No, you can read about it here.

This may sound very weird but one time when i got drunk with a friend we were sitting and writing poems / songs, he suddenly turns The End on, after 30 seconds it was like we were possest by Jim, his spirit, everything, we started out of no where doing the well known dance / saying stuff we would never say, when the song ended, it all became normal.

I have decided to make a Doors tribute band, people have said that i look alot like Jim / sound like him, so why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTcoEXpcZWM&feature=related

Is everybody in?

This may sound very weird but one time when i got drunk with a friend we were sitting and writing poems / songs, he suddenly turns The End on, after 30 seconds it was like we were possest by Jim, his spirit, everything, we started out of no where doing the well known dance / saying stuff we would never say, when the song ended, it all became normal.

Oh my god, are you serious? :lol: What are you, 14? :lol:

Oh my god, are you serious? :lol: What are you, 14? :lol:

I got 10 bucks that says they made out after that too. Any takers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVJ-55ZloE&feature=related

The last 30 seconds Jim predicts the future of music.

Densmore was one of the best drummers back then.

Im going for the Break On Through biography, even though No One Here Gets Out Alive was recommended alot, might even buy both.

Edited by American Psycho

This is a worthwhile read. No myth to it. Not written to cash in on someone's death.

http://archives.waiting-forthe-sun.net/Pages/Articles/jims_last_days.html

Someone had asked Agnes Varda in an interview about Morrison's death and she's only commented on it once. I think they asked what she thought about the rumors of Jim faking his own death. She was a filmmaking mentor to Jim, and he'd ask her for advice and tips.

Get the scrapbook of Jim Morrison. It's authorized and has a lot of great stuff in there.

This is a worthwhile read. No myth to it. Not written to cash in on someone's death.

http://archives.waiting-forthe-sun.net/Pages/Articles/jims_last_days.html

Someone had asked Agnes Varda in an interview about Morrison's death and she's only commented on it once. I think they asked what she thought about the rumors of Jim faking his own death. She was a filmmaking mentor to Jim, and he'd ask her for advice and tips.

Get the scrapbook of Jim Morrison. It's authorized and has a lot of great stuff in there.

Thanks for the link, I had never read this before.

The scrapbook is amazing. I've been thinking of picking up the Jimi Hendrix one as well.

Guest Len B'stard

Legendary band. They suffer from such cynicism though. People criticising the lyrics and knocking them for not being Yeats basically. Bunch of crap though, shockingly good band...and Morrison was just the fucking man, Axl comparisons are ridiculous because as much as Jim could be a dick by all accounts, there was some substance there, there was a genius there. A lot of people i think are basically of the opinion that The Doors are as good as their first album. I remember reading a review that was basically saying that Strange Days basically undoes all the good work of the debut, which i think is bullshit, When the Musics Over is one of the best songs i've ever heard. Waiting for the Sun is shit-hot too...i even like the one with the blue cover that begins with Tell All The People whoose name escapes me at the moment. And they seemed to be going in an interesting direction with L.A. Woman, Riders on the Storm is like eerie lounge jazz, Morrison Hotel too is a really really solid album, perhaps the forgotten masterpiece of The Doors.

I think there was a real palpable musical chemistry there with The Doors and Morrison (indivisible if you ask me)...i don't think Morrisons led by the music Shaman thing was all a schtick, i think he seriously felt it like that, it really did have that effect on him.

And i despise the notion that The Doors are a phase band for teenagers, i really hate that, it seriously pisses me off. Basically people hold it against Morrison for not being Shakespeare, thats what it boils down to, he made this offbeat kind of poetry that so many people take for drunken gibberish but it's really not, it's just that it's the type of thing that suffers from mainstream exposure, i liken his writing to a less musical (which is ironic) take on the sort of Kerouacian Mexico City Blues stuff, it's just that it's been stuck under the noses of a bunch of hoity reverse-discriminatory rock cynics who hate it for being abstract.

Morrison was protean, you got a real sense of a person who understood the channels of his psyche and how to take himself places through performance.

Morrison was the last great romantic and modern society can't stomach romance anymore, we're too cool...and worse off for it.

Edited by sugaraylen

Morrison Hotel too is a really really solid album, perhaps the forgotten masterpiece of The Doors.

Morrison Hotel is virtually flawless...My rank for these dudes

1. Strange Days

2. LA Woman

3. Debut

4. Morrison Hotel

5. The Soft Parade

And i despise the notion that The Doors are a phase band for teenagers, i really hate that, it seriously pisses me off. Basically people hold it against Morrison for not being Shakespeare, thats what it boils down to, he made this offbeat kind of poetry that so many people take for drunken gibberish but it's really not, it's just that it's the type of thing that suffers from mainstream exposure, i liken his writing to a less musical (which is ironic) take on the sort of Kerouacian Mexico City Blues stuff, it's just that it's been stuck under the noses of a bunch of hoity reverse-discriminatory rock cynics who hate it for being abstract.

People always tell me that the bands every teenager goes through and eventually grows out of are The Doors, The Sex Pistols and Nirvana. Total fucking bullshit, and if it ain't..then fuck, I don't ever wanna grow up!!!!

I think something like The End is way beyond being a teenager. maybe as a kid you can dream more and really go along for the ride, maybe stuff like The Doors is too primal for office workers. I'm sure I've seen a few drunken Karoke Light My Fires. To me his lyrics are only really surpassed by Dylan. But I think Morrison wrote the best rock lyrics ever.

Legendary band. They suffer from such cynicism though. People criticising the lyrics and knocking them for not being Yeats basically. Bunch of crap though, shockingly good band...and Morrison was just the fucking man, Axl comparisons are ridiculous because as much as Jim could be a dick by all accounts, there was some substance there, there was a genius there. A lot of people i think are basically of the opinion that The Doors are as good as their first album. I remember reading a review that was basically saying that Strange Days basically undoes all the good work of the debut, which i think is bullshit, When the Musics Over is one of the best songs i've ever heard. Waiting for the Sun is shit-hot too...i even like the one with the blue cover that begins with Tell All The People whoose name escapes me at the moment. And they seemed to be going in an interesting direction with L.A. Woman, Riders on the Storm is like eerie lounge jazz, Morrison Hotel too is a really really solid album, perhaps the forgotten masterpiece of The Doors.

I think there was a real palpable musical chemistry there with The Doors and Morrison (indivisible if you ask me)...i don't think Morrisons led by the music Shaman thing was all a schtick, i think he seriously felt it like that, it really did have that effect on him.

Morrison was protean, you got a real sense of a person who understood the channels of his psyche and how to take himself places through performance.

Morrison was the last great romantic and modern society can't stomach romance anymore, we're too cool...and worse off for it.

The Soft Parade. I fucking love that album, although I agree Morrison Hotel is a fucking masterpiece. It's easily their best effort.

I've been a fan of The Doors as long as I've been a fan of Guns N' Roses. 16 years now and fuck, I'm only 24.