Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl stood in the middle of the stage singing. Then during solo's he'd walk to the side and lean against the higher stage!

No energy in him after he came back on!

I'd love to see some videos of these songs. Axl sounds better when he's not running around.

At the end of the day the support act are 'warm-ups' for the main band.

Their supposed to entertain before gnr. Get the crowd going.

Its pointless having a 1.5hr gap....

I Concur with the post above,

The one way to stop this is to Just stop throwing shit -

stupid jobless irish twats

The great thing about racism is, it tells you, almost immediately, the capacity of the person your talking to...

I Concur with the post above,

The one way to stop this is to Just stop throwing shit -

stupid jobless irish twats

The great thing about racism is, it tells you, almost immediately, the capacity of the person your talking to...

I'm pretty sure it was jobless people who were paying 70euro each for a ticket.

Post reported for racism, though I don't want to feed the cupcake.

Just got back to England after travelling to this concert. Originally from Dublin so thought It would be good to see them again in my home city. Saw then in 2006 - amazing!!

Now my watch could be wrong but the timings are correct. Danko came on at 19.55 and finished at 21.16. They got the crowd propper warmed up felt very proud to be playing in front of Phil Lynotts mother who was there. They were good, but it did feel like they were on for a very long time. The crowd was in great spirits at this stage.

So for most of the waiting after Danko the crowd was well behaved and there was lots of cheering , mexican waves, chants for Axl etc. Didn't hear any Slash chants. I would say once the time got pastr 22.15 the crowd began to lose it's patience. Remember, like me most were told as we parked at the venue carpark that the carpark would close at 11.30 sharp. Personally I would have been fine with that, I'd have stayed and figured out another way home. But this is mid week and people need there cars for work the next day. Not sure if the carpark stayed open - but this is the time people were given.

So once it got to half past ten people are thinking well I have to leave in an hour to get my car and this is gonna be a short gig for me, and they feel short changed I guess. So the booing started to get pretty nasty but they came on about 22.35. Booing & cheering at the end of CD during the WTTJ opening and then the bottles!! to me this looked like water, but not the point, it was wrong. I feel the frustration. It is a mindless act by a couple of Twunts - not necessarily Irish either , this is summer in Dublin and the gig was packed out with lots of nationalities!

The band sounded very tight, I thought Axl was a bit low in the mix, but overall it was sounding great.

After "sorry" they walked off, at that point it was ruined for me. I didn't want it to go on as I felt bad for the band who are obviously there to do a job and have no say as to when they go on. Pretty sure they would have been there most of the day anyway. I left at that point as I'd rather have remembered the 2006 gig more than this. And to be honest the tension was high and it could have gone one way or another.

So a huge downer overall, Sorry that it happened in my city but to be honest I think it was in the post! especially after last weekend in reading/leeds and how the whole going on late is played up in the media.

To sum up:

Danko Jones - good but played for a long time

GnR - took to the stage - not late shall we say but with too big a gap between acts, to be honest in my opinion they (he) just pushed it by about 10 minutes!! I also saw Axl & beta side of staged and they looked pretty rushed just before they went on.

On the plus side I saw their GNR plane parked at Dublin airport yesterday and it was still there this morning - which was kinda cool.

Funny thing is that, last night with Axl standing still, you got what most frontmen give you. It's only because Axl usually gives it his absolute all that people are complaining.

His singing was drastically improved when standing still, I was at the RDS show and it his voice wasnt great, and at the begining of this gig it wasnt great either

but when he went on the sulk because he realised the crowd weren't in anyway blinkered and not willing to be made wait for 1hr and half and that he had no other

option but to play (I presume someone in MCD mentioned Prince to him), his voice wasnt under duress from having to run everywhere.

I quite enjoy the show last night, including his little strop, its what I expect from the man to be highly talented though deeply flawed and insecure individual...I saw one of my

heros at his best, both good and bad

Someone should tell bumblefoot to do the dont cry solo again thats masterful and Mr fortus solo was absolutely fantastic

Another interesting gig then it seems?

I hope and pray that something like this doesn't happen in Manchester. If the band were bottled after returning to the stage for the rest of their set then that was very brave of them. I hope the folks who stuck it out enjoyed themselves. Are there any videos of Axl singing stood still yet?

MCD about to make a statement on Irish tv. I was also there last night having travelled from Bristol with mates. Will post thoughts later and I have quite a bit of footage of the gig and drama. Axl only came back on to fulfil his contractual obligations not to put on a show. Real shame he lots many fans last night.

MCD about to make a statement on Irish tv. I was also there last night having travelled from Bristol with mates. Will post thoughts later and I have quite a bit of footage of the gig and drama. Axl only came back on to fulfil his contractual obligations not to put on a show. Real shame he lots many fans last night.

Reading the Irish forums it is amazing how pissed people are. The fact there are no refunds seems to only be infuriating them more.

It's a shame such a small number of pricks tried to ruin it for everyone else. A little over an hour to wait while the set is changed, instruments are fine tuned and equipment tested isnt that long to wait. Really made me wonder if the idiots who were booing had ever even read about a Guns N' Roses concert let alone been to one before. 19 times out of 20, there will be about an hour between the support act and Guns coming on stage. The first few songs werent great as people were booing and chanting for Slash (Why I dont know considering he hasent been in the band for about 15 years). During the first verse of WTTJ, Axl stopped everything like I expected after seeing two bottles heading in his direction. Gave a warning which shows how much he has grown since the early 90's when he probably would have just walked off. Back into WTTJ before continuing without a problem through It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone and Sorry. Axl started to introduce Fortus when another bottle was thrown. Cue another walk off. The band didnt look too happy about it and even hesistated before following him off.

About five minutes of uncertainty followed until some randomer came out and gave us bullshit about technical difficulties. Didnt hear a word she said after that. Five more minutes of nothing and the secondary house lights came on which prompted people to leave but not before hurling another few dozen bottles at the stage. Ten more minutes with about a quarter of the people gone and two more randomers come out and start clearing bottles off the stage before the house lights go back off much to everyone's delight, well nearly everyone a few people kept booing but soon enough everyone was 100% behind the band again and bar Axl standing around, sulking and looking really pissed off (During Nightrain he looked up at Frank with a What the Fuck? look on his face), the performance itself was great and far better than 2006. After LALD, Tommy said they had been in Dublin before and had a great time, tonight was giving Dublin a bad name. Harsh but true. I think it was Fortus' solo that really turned it around again and re-won the crowd over.

Unfortunatly, I have a bad feeling that Guns wont be back in Dublin during their next tour which is a shame as it was literally three people who caused the problems. If you dont like it, you know where the door is, dont ruin it for everyone else.

It's a shame such a small number of pricks tried to ruin it for everyone else. A little over an hour to wait while the set is changed, instruments are fine tuned and equipment tested isnt that long to wait. Really made me wonder if the idiots who were booing had ever even read about a Guns N' Roses concert let alone been to one before. 19 times out of 20, there will be about an hour between the support act and Guns coming on stage. The first few songs werent great as people were booing and chanting for Slash (Why I dont know considering he hasent been in the band for about 15 years).

So Slash fans ruined the show. <_<

It is being reported that Irish Phantom rock radio 105.2 is being inundated with texts this morning of people who were pissed at the show last night that it wasn't the original line-up performing.

I would say where have they been all this time, but it is also consistent with a crowd that also apparently didn't know Axl goes on so late so they were pissed off.

Is it possible that we dramatically over estimate just how much the casual fan really knows about GNR?

It is being reported that Irish Phantom rock radio 105.2 is being inundated with texts this morning of people who were pissed at the show last night that it wasn't the original line-up performing.

They were waiting for old GNR?? :rofl-lol:

Sure, they haven't heard about the breakup of old gn'r.... :lol: good joke.

I would say where have they been all this time, but it is also consistent with a crowd that also apparently didn't know Axl goes on so late so they were pissed off.

Is it possible that we dramatically over estimate just how much the casual fan really knows about GNR?

Im Irish.. wouldn't surprise me at all. GNR are not too popular over here (mainstream anyways) and it doesn't help that they have havent released a video etc.

It was on the 3rd time they have played here. (92, 06, 10).

The fans should not of thrown bottles but Axl shouldn't of been late. Gates were 6:30. GNR went on at 10:30. Danko were on for much longer than they should of been. And staff at the venue told people the car park would close at half 11 and they could be fined 100 euro. They also told people to leave when Axl left.

When i saw Slash/Myles, doors were half 7 and Slash was on at half 8.

4 hours is too long and it causes the impatient, hostile crowd. Sadly its all too predictable for GNR these days.

It's a shame such a small number of pricks tried to ruin it for everyone else. A little over an hour to wait while the set is changed, instruments are fine tuned and equipment tested isnt that long to wait. Really made me wonder if the idiots who were booing had ever even read about a Guns N' Roses concert let alone been to one before. 19 times out of 20, there will be about an hour between the support act and Guns coming on stage. The first few songs werent great as people were booing and chanting for Slash (Why I dont know considering he hasent been in the band for about 15 years).

So Slash fans ruined the show. <_<

Not at all, it was only a small group of people doing it but when he hasent been in the band for about 15 years, why would you chant his name? If you are going to a concert, at least google the band before hand to see what the line up is and save yourself the embarassment of chanting for someone who quite clearly was going to have nothing to do with the show.

I didn't hear any chants for Slash or the old band at the concert.

It was the wait that started the fidgeting and the booing.

Even when Axl came on again at close to 12am he could have turned things around

if he had put on a show and got into it like the other band members.

But he didn't and he lost the crowd's support. I think actually towards the end people weren't even booing.

It seemed just more like apathy. But Axl was apathetic himself so the crowd was reflecting back what they were given.

Fans on this board can spin this in a positive light if they want; but if you were there last night

you would have clearly seen that this was a complete disaster for the band.

Del James speaks out on the late starts:

I've read a few reviews where the reviewer says something along the lines of 'the band came on late but the show was great.' WHOA, WAIT A MINUTE -- who decides what late is? ... This is supposed to be an all night party. When the f*ck did rock n' roll -- and the last time I checked rock music was supposed to be a non-conformist, rebellious, art form -- get a Flavor Flav-sized time clock wrapped around its neck like a hangman's noose? Rebellion and punctuality do not go hand in hand and for those of you too young to remember, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin rarely went on before midnight in their hey day.

Here's a little insight for you -- a rock band has to do certain things in order to be prepared to hit the stage. It's a lot like a sports team warming up before hitting the field. Axl has to do his vocal warm ups or else he will blow his voice out. ... Some of the band members need chiropractic adjustments or massage therapy. Others need to warm up on their instruments. The list is endless and every night something unexpected always occurs. There's a lot more to it than showing up, grabbing an instrument, and walking onstage. No one is interested in wasting your time or keeping you waiting, but the band goes on when it is 100 percent ready to go on and give it all that they have for that evening and not one minute before. The show starts when the band hits the stage and ends when the final encore is over.

If, back in the day, Thin Lizzy or Humble Pie or Queen came on at whatever time and gave me two hours of blistering "rawk" like GN'R does every night that would have been a magical evening. A rock concert is supposed to be a celebration where for a few hours people can escape from the pressure of everyday life. Jobs and taxes and homework and traffic are all still going to be there when the show ends so what's the hurry? I mean, GN'R ain't some play by the rules, shake hands and kiss babies for public approval type band. It's Guns N' F*ckin' Roses so please feel free to raise your middle finger with GN'R because Axl, [etc.] will always stand defiant against conformity while doing their best to thoroughly kick every audience's ass. As Axl says onstage from time to time, "This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'" Anyone who doesn't get that should really just stay the hell home. I've noticed that during our first week on tour, there's a lot of pissing and moaning on the Internet by people who aren't even at the shows. This vocal minority are not what I consider real GN'R fans. They are obsessive pests (go ahead and flame) in need of a real outlet other than GN'R chat rooms and posting on fan sites because the real fans are at the shows having fun. When someone overanalyzes something as ... what Axl says to the audience, the set list from one show to the next, or the tuning of Bumblefoot's fretless guitar, it's time to get a life. Disconnect from the Internet and reconnect with the real world.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2204353241&topic=1714

Dj ASHBA™ Many thx to all of you who stuck it out with us last night, turning a negative night into a positive one, and for not allowing a few bad apples in the crowd to spoil our fun! Here in Rome, this place is in-f%$#ing insane!!! Wow, it's beyond beautiful here. Got to get some zzzzzzz...... ttyl.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ashbaland

Well, not matter how they spin it, almost all of the reports about the show from people who were there

indicate that it did not go well at all. There wasn't anything good about the show (that's not to say it wasn't interesting, just not a good concert).

It really is a pity because the place was completely full at 9 and people were having fun. But once again

GNR manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The three guitarists were the best thing about the band last night. Lots of people on different notice boards have mentioned that.

Edited by axl666

Del James speaks out on the late starts:

I've read a few reviews where the reviewer says something along the lines of 'the band came on late but the show was great.' WHOA, WAIT A MINUTE -- who decides what late is? ... This is supposed to be an all night party. When the f*ck did rock n' roll -- and the last time I checked rock music was supposed to be a non-conformist, rebellious, art form -- get a Flavor Flav-sized time clock wrapped around its neck like a hangman's noose? Rebellion and punctuality do not go hand in hand and for those of you too young to remember, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin rarely went on before midnight in their hey day.

Here's a little insight for you -- a rock band has to do certain things in order to be prepared to hit the stage. It's a lot like a sports team warming up before hitting the field. Axl has to do his vocal warm ups or else he will blow his voice out. ... Some of the band members need chiropractic adjustments or massage therapy. Others need to warm up on their instruments. The list is endless and every night something unexpected always occurs. There's a lot more to it than showing up, grabbing an instrument, and walking onstage. No one is interested in wasting your time or keeping you waiting, but the band goes on when it is 100 percent ready to go on and give it all that they have for that evening and not one minute before. The show starts when the band hits the stage and ends when the final encore is over.

If, back in the day, Thin Lizzy or Humble Pie or Queen came on at whatever time and gave me two hours of blistering "rawk" like GN'R does every night that would have been a magical evening. A rock concert is supposed to be a celebration where for a few hours people can escape from the pressure of everyday life. Jobs and taxes and homework and traffic are all still going to be there when the show ends so what's the hurry? I mean, GN'R ain't some play by the rules, shake hands and kiss babies for public approval type band. It's Guns N' F*ckin' Roses so please feel free to raise your middle finger with GN'R because Axl, [etc.] will always stand defiant against conformity while doing their best to thoroughly kick every audience's ass. As Axl says onstage from time to time, "This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'" Anyone who doesn't get that should really just stay the hell home. I've noticed that during our first week on tour, there's a lot of pissing and moaning on the Internet by people who aren't even at the shows. This vocal minority are not what I consider real GN'R fans. They are obsessive pests (go ahead and flame) in need of a real outlet other than GN'R chat rooms and posting on fan sites because the real fans are at the shows having fun. When someone overanalyzes something as ... what Axl says to the audience, the set list from one show to the next, or the tuning of Bumblefoot's fretless guitar, it's time to get a life. Disconnect from the Internet and reconnect with the real world.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2204353241&topic=1714

What's good for the goose is good for the gander Del.

Crowds aren't "have it your way" where they only show their displeasure in the way you feel appropriate.

If you don't understand why the crowd was booing incessantly and throwing piss bottles at Axl, disconnect from Heretodaygonetohell and reconnect with the real world where the fantasy world you're advocating for doesn't exist.

More disastrous press- it's starting to come fast now. They threw away so much goodwill!

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/behind_the_music/17875/guns-n-roses-in-dublin-gig-farce/

It's the top story in the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0902/breaking12.html

More reviews on the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2010/09/02/gnr-wtf/

Edited by axl666