Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious... what do you expect people to post in a thread about one of the shittiest shows axl's played? do you think that at page 75 people are suddenly going to change their mind and decide it was an awesome show?

for fuck's sake man, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. if you don't like reading critical opinions of axl, then hang out in one of the threads dedicated to a "successful" show... you know, one of the ones where he showed up late, sang out of key, ran out of breath, but managed to do so without getting hit by bottles.

if you're willing to look past the whole bottle thing, this was actually a quality show. Axl's vocals were perfect and the band sounded really tight and in-tune with one another. One of the better performances, IMO.

LOL Dublin. Obviously the most pussy-ass crowds in the world. Still crying over having to wait an hour. :rolleyes:

Gotta love people who insult others in every post. A post should be able to stand on its own. If it needs insults and personal attacks....then the post and its message isn't strong enough on its own.

just curious... what do you expect people to post in a thread about one of the shittiest shows axl's played? do you think that at page 75 people are suddenly going to change their mind and decide it was an awesome show?

for fuck's sake man, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. if you don't like reading critical opinions of axl, then hang out in one of the threads dedicated to a "successful" show... you know, one of the ones where he showed up late, sang out of key, ran out of breath, but managed to do so without getting hit by bottles.

if you're willing to look past the whole bottle thing, this was actually a quality show. Axl's vocals were perfect and the band sounded really tight and in-tune with one another. One of the better performances, IMO.

Axl's vocals were perfect because he didn't bloody move the whole time. No crowd participation in KOHD, not even a proper 'Paradise City' extended solo.

A good GNR show would be like the one in Belfast, which I attended. If you compare that performance to the one in Dublin it's chalk and cheese.

LOL Dublin. Obviously the most pussy-ass crowds in the world. Still crying over having to wait an hour. :rolleyes:

I've seen concerts all over Europe and trust me, the Irish are not pussies - It's as rough and tough as anything/anywhere I've been. Electric crowd that does indeed board upon 'aggresive' at times. When it works well, you wouldn't want to see a concert anywhere else.

So take your anti-Irish comments and shove them up your arse!

Thank you. :)

I was at this gig.

I first saw them at Slane '92, saw them at the RDS in '06 and came back from the Caribbean to see this gig in my hometown. Got into GNR in '91 when I bought a bootleg version of AFD on O'Connell Bridge, recorded a copy of Lies off a mate's cassette copy, bought both the UYI albums the day they came out, same goes for TSI and the live albums. Got my brother to buy me CD and post it to me out here (it's rubbish). I even slept out on Grafton St to make sure I got tickets for the Slane '92 gig. My favourite band of all time bar none and even I was booing and so the f*ck would all of you if you'd been there, unless you enjoy taking it up the ass. Axl f*cked with the Dublin crowd and unfortunately he got exactly what he deserved. The ONLY reason he came back on stage was to avoid a massive lawsuit/insurance claim. It was f*cking torture to watch the disingetration of my idol so I left when the houselights came on. A load of bollocks from start to finish. F*ck the new members, f*ck the over-production and f*ck Chinese Democracy.

I feel a bit better now.

I was at this gig.

I first saw them at Slane '92, saw them at the RDS in '06 and came back from the Caribbean to see this gig in my hometown. Got into GNR in '91 when I bought a bootleg version of AFD on O'Connell Bridge, recorded a copy of Lies off a mate's cassette copy, bought both the UYI albums the day they came out, same goes for TSI and the live albums. Got my brother to buy me CD and post it to me out here (it's rubbish). I even slept out on Grafton St to make sure I got tickets for the Slane '92 gig. My favourite band of all time bar none and even I was booing and so the f*ck would all of you if you'd been there, unless you enjoy taking it up the ass. Axl f*cked with the Dublin crowd and unfortunately he got exactly what he deserved. The ONLY reason he came back on stage was to avoid a massive lawsuit/insurance claim. It was f*cking torture to watch the disingetration of my idol so I left when the houselights came on. A load of bollocks from start to finish. F*ck the new members, f*ck the over-production and f*ck Chinese Democracy.

I feel a bit better now.

I've traveled 500km with 16yo to see Axl in Sao Paulo. I've waited all day with 40,000 people packing Palestra Stadium and they were 3 hours late (they started at 00:40) and I'm not complaining at all. I've spend all my money to see Axl and it was one of the best days of my life.. I can't believe you guys can't wait 1 hour. If I did get Guns N' Roses at 22:30 I would be fucking satisfied.

Edited by marlon_brando15

I was at this gig.

I feel a bit better now.

That's fair. Axl and Dublin duked it out. Fight's over. Are you still a fan?

I was at this gig.

I feel a bit better now.

I've traveled 500km with 16yo to see Axl in Sao Paulo. I've waited all day with 40,000 people packing Palestra Stadium and they were 3 hours late (they started at 00:40) and I'm not complaining at all. I've spend all my money to see Axl and it was one of the best days of my life.. I can't believe you guys can't wait 1 hour. If I did get Guns N' Roses at 22:30 I would be fucking satisfied.

Getting f*cked over obviously works for you. Me? Not so much.

I was at this gig.

I feel a bit better now.

Getting f*cked over obviously works for you. Me? Not so much.

ok...?! anythink else to get of your chest? :huh:

I was at this gig.

I feel a bit better now.

Hope I do make it to my twentieth year as a fan next year but I honestly don't know, I haven't listened to them since the gig, I cringe when l to hear those intros now and I quickly skip past them. That sounds mental but the whole show was such a debacle I might be scarred for life! Music matters you know?

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I was at this gig.

I feel a bit better now.

Hope I do make it to my twentieth year as a fan next year but I honestly don't know, I haven't listened to them since the gig, I cringe when l to hear those intros now and I quickly skip past them. That sounds mental but the whole show was such a debacle I might be scarred for life! Music matters you know?

Out of interest where you a big fan of the UYI albums or the AFD era?

I always felt that Chinese Democracy was the lead on from the UYI's. Completely different to AFD etc. Just a thought :shrugs:

I couldn't go to the Dublin show this year but I was at the one in '06 so I can't really comment but I cannot understand why people were so shocked and angry that GNR were late. They are ALWAYS late, I attend GNR concerts knowing I could be waiting hours to see them and I'm cool with that.

Another issue I have is the false advertising. Anyone who dosen't read the internet in Ireland would go to these concerts expecting the AFD line up. Why are people so backwards when it comes to GNR? It annoys me so much!!

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

I was at this gig.

I feel a bit better now.

Out of interest where you a big fan of the UYI albums or the AFD era?

I always felt that Chinese Democracy was the lead on from the UYI's. Completely different to AFD etc. Just a thought :shrugs:

I couldn't go to the Dublin show this year but I was at the one in '06 so I can't really comment but I cannot understand why people were so shocked and angry that GNR were late. They are ALWAYS late, I attend GNR concerts knowing I could be waiting hours to see them and I'm cool with that.

Another issue I have is the false advertising. Anyone who dosen't read the internet in Ireland would go to these concerts expecting the AFD line up. Why are people so backwards when it comes to GNR? It annoys me so much!!

I have to agree with the poor advertising part alright.There were no tv ads, so nobody saw any footage of the new guns and the newspaper ads didn't have any pics either. But I'm sure thats how it is in most countries. It's ok for fans like us,as we know it's a new lineup and we know they come on late.The problem is with the casual fans. As I said before I went to the concert expecting a long wait. Waited in Slane, was surprised when they came on early in the RDS, but I was still expecting a late start in the o2.

One thing that is strange for a show in Ireland. Since when did us Irish give a toss for early nights, we used to party all night and never used to worry about getting home.Getting to work was never a problem for us ,we'd either go in still half drunk or pull a sicky. I guess the Celtic Tiger years changed all that.

I also had problems listening to guns for the last couple of weeks since the concert. Strange as I enjoyed the show, but somehow I still felt a bit let down and disheartened. It could have been a killer show, but at the same time I'm glad for the good vocals we got that night and hope to see them again in Ireland, but probably in Belfast next time. I'm back listening to them again rock2

It's about time Axl decides that starting late is only going to destroy his band. He needs to get with the program and be more respectful to the fans. He has been late for ever and it has been an issue for a long time. It really does cause these fans to get angry and it causes situations where Axl likes to leave the stage and could start riots. He is causing these issues to happen and he could prevent it happening. Why does he not just go on in a decent time. These are the same reason for the destruction of the original GNR and probably will be the same reason for the destruction of the current lineup. I am sure the rest of the band in GNR are tired of Axl causing these issues too. At minimum they should warn concert goers a head of time that Axl will be late. That would at least maybe keep them from getting as upset. Then again people are impatient.

Edited by rocker rockstar

I have to agree with the poor advertising part alright.There were no tv ads, so nobody saw any footage of the new guns and the newspaper ads didn't have any pics either. But I'm sure thats how it is in most countries. It's ok for fans like us,as we know it's a new lineup and we know they come on late.The problem is with the casual fans. As I said before I went to the concert expecting a long wait. Waited in Slane, was surprised when they came on early in the RDS, but I was still expecting a late start in the o2.

One thing that is strange for a show in Ireland. Since when did us Irish give a toss for early nights, we used to party all night and never used to worry about getting home.Getting to work was never a problem for us ,we'd either go in still half drunk or pull a sicky. I guess the Celtic Tiger years changed all that.

I also had problems listening to guns for the last couple of weeks since the concert. Strange as I enjoyed the show, but somehow I still felt a bit let down and disheartened. It could have been a killer show, but at the same time I'm glad for the good vocals we got that night and hope to see them again in Ireland, but probably in Belfast next time. I'm back listening to them again rock2

I remember in 2006 any mention of the Dublin show included a picture of Axl from the UYI tour. This is a serious issue for GNR management in my opinion. Simple yet effective promotion would go a long way.

Yeah maybe in '06 when they came out on time people assumed the same would happen this time around? :shrugs: And your right about the Irish peoples mentality, the recession is totally depressing everyone and its seeping into every element. It reminds me of the old Paddy's day mentality. People didn't give a crap about work in the morning like you said.

I was at the Rome concert and we had hoped to get the Metro back to the hotel after. We missed the last one home because of the late show. Met some Italians at the station who went out of their way to communicate with us (despite having little english) that the last metro had gone but were going to wait till 5am there to get home. No negativity what so ever. We then had to get a taxi home we wernt hardcore and going to wait around in a metro station till 5am :lol: and others were like us. It was cool.

I too thought the Irish would act like this? Im so glad I wasn't able to go in Dublin, I think I would've been devastated. Especially Axl and the band leaving thinking the Irish were assholes.

I fully appreciate both sides of the argument but throwing bottles is not the answer. Its assault. If those people were unhappy just leave. They obviously were not real fans and knew jack shit about GNR. Pity such a minority ruined it for everyone else.

It's about time Axl decides that starting late is only going to destroy his band. He needs to get with the program and be more respectful to the fans. He has been late for ever and it has been an issue for a long time. It really does cause these fans to get angry and it causes situations where Axl likes to leave the stage and could start riots. He is causing these issues to happen and he could prevent it happening. Why does he not just go on in a decent time. These are the same reason for the destruction of the original GNR and probably will be the same reason for the destruction of the current lineup. I am sure the rest of the band in GNR are tired of Axl causing these issues too. At minimum they should warn concert goers a head of time that Axl will be late. That would at least maybe keep them from getting as upset. Then again people are impatient.

Yeah I agree with some of what you said. People should be told after the the support act a rough estimate of the time. Although maybe they dont do that because a) they don't know and b ) it may cause people to riot if they are told two hours. Sometimes your better off not knowing :no:

But when the band do come out I think if the crowd is hostile they should apologise and explain WHY they were late. It may help things.

Surely by now they have established preparation time before a concert and can leave the hotel accordingly. Who knows though :shrugs:

Another aspect to consider is Axl mentioned before he dosen't like to preform till he is ready so he can give the best he can possible give. From that point of view maybe we should quit whining in wait. But hey I appreciate I'll be waiting for hours for them to come on stage and im ok with it so :tongue2:

I downloaded the bootleg of this show, it's YouTube rips but it's actually pretty decent quality for some of the songs. The "interlude" track is particularly funny, eight minutes of the break. There's a big mix of:-

"You fucking ginger wanker"

"We are sorry!" (chants)

"Fuck you Axl"

"Let's tear this fucking place apart..."

"Boo."

Oh, and to be fair, Axl sounds fucking outstanding.

Edited by Conor

Just read this posted Today over on boards.ie

Thought it might interest those looking for a refund.

Just been told by a friend that MCD have refunded him the cost of the two tickets he bought; he wrote them an angry letter AND submitted an application to the small claims court. I've gone down the small claims court road but no sign of a refund just yet.

Edited by no1gooner

Just been told by a friend that MCD have refunded him the cost of the two tickets he bought; he wrote them an angry letter AND submitted an application to the small claims court. I've gone down the small claims court road but no sign of a refund just yet.

You know if you live in Dublin its not so bad but I feel sorry for the people who traveled paid for hotels etc plus you can't put a price on the disappointment :(

Bring on London, Birmingham and Manchester!! rock4

You know if you live in Dublin its not so bad but I feel sorry for the people who traveled paid for hotels etc plus you can't put a price on the disappointment :(

Bring on London, Birmingham and Manchester!! rock4

Yes I agree, I was ok and enjoyed the gig as much as possible. But I did feel a real sort of disapointment. I got the cake, but no cream and I turned up for the cream.

I have been checking out Birmingham,as it is pretty close to the airport and hotel, but it seems to be sold out? Also the flight from Derry doesn't arrive until about 10:30, now I'd say that too late even for a GNR show,haha.

Edited by no1gooner