History of This I love

SR_GR

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl mentioned it in 93.

There is a rumored Acoustic version of it.

Axl didn't want it on the album but Finck insisted on it.

source?

Axl's chat!

link

". The songs were chosen by everyone involved. I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support. "

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=133371

he shoulda told those guys to fuck right off

Also D's dead right. TIL and Novemeber Rain are nothing alike in structure. I've been playing for 100 years, and I at least safely don't suck!

i don't think anyone is talking about november rain the song but an intro to it, similar to how prostitute were played as an intro sometimes

I am pretty sure it was Axl's creation - or else the old members would get writing credits on the album

I'm not sure he could come up with such complex lyrics without some help. He must have had some help even if they are uncredited.

That's hilarious that you think Axl needs help to write 'complex' lyrics. You really are a cupcake.

Edited by axl8302

Axl mentioned it in 93.

source?

Axl's chat!

link

". The songs were chosen by everyone involved. I didnt want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommys and the others support. "

he shoulda told those guys to fuck right off

It is a band.

As much as we've been fed that it's not, it still is, essentially, a band.

Sure, Axl may make alot of the descisions, but all members can voice their opinion and bring up ideas, what they like etc

And about TIL, did anyone else see that video on youtube with the scenes from the movie "What Dreams May Come" playing? It was pretty intense. All it need was some band footage and I'd call it a music video.

Edited by Lose Your Illusions

There is so much information here, thank you all. It sounds like there might some day be more songs with the TIL vibe. There is no knowing when that might happen, so it is great to have it on the CD.

I usually drive short distances, 20-40 min, and at the moment I listen to TIL at least 2-3 times each trip… What has happened is that I have started to hear in my mind also another quite sad piano tune from about 1975 by Lasse Mårtenson. It is a theme song for a couple who tried to make a living on a small rocky island. They were somewhat happy together, but life was hard. What I hear in the music is the never ending power of the sea, clear sky and fresh wind, sadness linked with short moments of hope and love that endures it all. Here is a link to it:

It is a band.

As much as we've been fed that it's not, it still is, essentially, a band.

Sure, Axl may make alot of the descisions, but all members can voice their opinion and bring up ideas, what they like etc

And about TIL, did anyone else see that video on youtube with the scenes from the movie "What Dreams May Come" playing? It was pretty intense. All it need was some band footage and I'd call it a music video.

i looked all over for TIL with What Dreams May Come and all i found was a twilight til :no:

if you have a link me love you long time! :wub:

this l lovs manies manies yeers pass. axl no tell wut inspiratun for song. fans nose mabye stephs mabye erin. sums nose could be slash. axl no speek bout wut could be. fans nose he wunt anuthr novmr rain mabye swet child but fans nose not same majic. me thinks could be song bout axl mis old band.

why don't you use google translate or something? its better than your own translations from whateaver language you are speaking

Sorry - 93.

I am pretty sure it was Axl's creation - or else the old members would get writing credits on the album

I'm not sure he could come up with such complex lyrics without some help. He must have had some help even if they are uncredited.

You don't know a hell of a lot about Axl then.

This is about the 10 minute masterpiece Coma...

In an interview, Axl talks about writing "Coma":

"I tried to write that song for a year, and couldn't. I went to write it at the studio and passed out. I woke up two hours later and sat down and wrote the whole end of the song, like, just off the top of my head. It was like, don't even know what's coming out, man, but it's coming. I think one of the best things that I've ever written was maybe the end segment of the song "Coma". It just poured out."

Axl is an impulse writer. Once he hits the rail he rides it til it's done. Axl s also a perfectionist. Does TIL really sound like something Axl had help writing lyrically? No. Music yes I am sure Finck and others were involved.

Axl mentioned it in 93.

source?

Axl's chat!

link

". The songs were chosen by everyone involved. I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support. "

Owned

Axl first mentioned TIL in an interview with Hit Parader in 1993.

"I just recorded a new love song I want on the next record called "This I Love." It's the heaviest thing I've ever written."

Since then it was GNR legend....

Several years back it was rumored to have been considered for the soundtrack to the Robin Williams film "What Dreams May Come" (1998) but was rejected by the films producers for unknown reasons. At the time of the film's release this was not known, but it came to be a rumor several years after the fact through the GNR fan community.

There supposedly exists a raw demo version recorded in 1993 or so, featuring just Axl and a piano, recorded in one take. Those who have heard describe it as "raw and emotional".....this recording has never been available to the public. The supposed "hoarders" have it though....but whether or not they do, or if they even exist, remains to be proven.

Here's a thread I started I about TIL way back before CD ever had a release date....back when it was all shrouded in mystery and legend....

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=121519&st=0&p=2105493&hl=this%20i%20love&fromsearch=1entry2105493

not about Stephanie Seymour OR her kid as everyone seems to think....it was written while they were still together.

I knew 93 was part of it. So it was recorded in 93. I assume it's about Erin then. It is solely written by Axl lyrically

Edited by MicEffecT

an instrumental version of it was played in seattle 92 as an intro to nov. rain

Is there a video of that somewhere?

I have seen this video too. I wouldn't say that it was an instrumental of TIL, but the two pieces do display similarities.

don't know about a video but here's a link to the audio, it's not exactly the same but absolutely similarities.. credit to estebanf

http://rapidshare.com/files/309959147/GNR-TILPIANOSOLOSEATTLE92-ESTEBANF.mp3 i think it's an early, rough and altered version of TIL

At 1:06 forward. That it totally TIL. Just a faster version. Whatever the first minute is.. I like it

Question for the guy who hung with axl.......was the techno music playing Shacklers Revenge? You said that Axl said he was thinking about putting an album of that type of music. Was the song that was playing shacklers?

Axl is big into Electronica. kow I am not the one ya wanted the answer from. There is a Shackler's techno track as well. I play it at DJ events all the time

Guest Nasty Nate

lol complex lyrics

http://www.goear.com/listen/b693fcc/Untitled-Piano-Piece-Axl-Rose

This was beautiful. Axl speaking over that piano, wow. Can someone please rip it and upload somewhere? :heart:

The Chicago intro to NR is probably one of his best.

The piano here is not This I Love either... Very mellow tho. Could be somethin new we haven't heard yet

i think we could hear some this i love here

Yup. That sounds like TIL. Faster but same tempo

lol complex lyrics

While not complex the lyrics are definatly from the heart. Prostitute, Better, TWAT, Catcher, IRS, and Madagascar's lyrics are definatly complex enough though.

lol complex lyrics

While not complex the lyrics are definatly from the heart. Prostitute, Better, TWAT, Catcher, IRS, and Madagascar's lyrics are definatly complex enough though.

Now Prostitute. That may be about Stephanie LOL

lol complex lyrics

Now Prostitute. That may be about Stephanie LOL

Lol! But I doubt it, it seem more personal than a normal Axl FU song.