History of This I love

SR_GR

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl mentioned it in 93.

There is a rumored Acoustic version of it.

Axl didn't want it on the album but Finck insisted on it.

source?

Axl's chat!

link

". The songs were chosen by everyone involved. I didn’t want to do This I love in anyway shape or form and Robin and Caram insisted gaining Tommy’s and the others support. "

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=133371

Oh wow, great post. I forgot all about that, thanks.

we're not saying it's the same thing, we're saying there's similarities that may have been the roots of the song, i find it odd that some people don't recognize it, of course it's not the same as the studio version right awat, it's just like the first version of all songs don't sound exactly like the final product

we're not saying it's the same thing, we're saying there's similarities that may have been the roots of the song, i find it odd that some people don't recognize it, of course it's not the same as the studio version right awat, it's just like the first version of all songs don't sound exactly like the final product

I play piano, I learnt this november rain intro, I can fully play this i love, and there are absolutely no similarities in the chords, melody or structure. Sorry :(

I play piano, I learnt this november rain intro, I can fully play this i love, and there are absolutely no similarities in the chords, melody or structure. Sorry :(

You obviously suck at piano.

Apparently there's a clip of Axl playing the piano parts in the making of Estranged video.

looking for it now..

no, he is right

It was speculated for years that the piano clip in the "making of" video was This I Love, and because Axl was talking about Dylan during the sequence, perhaps that is where the false idea that TIL is about Dylan came from.

As soon as TIL was released on CD, a lot of people went back and compared the clip to the final song. The consensus is that the two have nothing in common...not the same song.

weird.. i don't play piano so u should be the expert.. then what is it that me and others hear? lol

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Hahaha you actually made me laugh. You could be right though. But really, I'm 100% sure these two pieces have nothing in common, This I love is a basic 4 chords piece (aside from the melody played by the right hand), it's based on a loop if you will, and even this simple core has nothing to do with that november rain intro. Then there's the whole orchestra part which is very very well put together, kind of complex and the melody there is very different from the november rain intro. So my answer is a no, there's no way it could have been a pre-work or some basic sketches for This I love. I'm not even going to say "I don't know, I'm not sure..." because really there is nothing in common between the two pieces.

weird.. i don't play piano so u should be the expert.. then what is it that me and others hear? lol

I don't know, maybe it's the succession of notes around 2:25 like somebody pointed out, except that in This I love, it doesn't go back and forth like what Axl plays in this november rain intro, in This I love it's just a simple succession of notes and there aren't even the same notes.

But I think that if one should find one similarity between the two, it wouldn't be about the melody, but maybe the idea of a "loop", I recall reading somewhere Axl wrote This I love as a loop, that could be repeated over and over, like a techno song, and in this idea, the chords he plays with his left hand in this november rain intro are played in loop, I think it's an idea that Axl likes.

Edited by D..

Axl first mentioned TIL in an interview with Hit Parader in 1993.

"I just recorded a new love song I want on the next record called "This I Love." It's the heaviest thing I've ever written."

Since then it was GNR legend....

Several years back it was rumored to have been considered for the soundtrack to the Robin Williams film "What Dreams May Come" (1998) but was rejected by the films producers for unknown reasons. At the time of the film's release this was not known, but it came to be a rumor several years after the fact through the GNR fan community.

There supposedly exists a raw demo version recorded in 1993 or so, featuring just Axl and a piano, recorded in one take. Those who have heard describe it as "raw and emotional".....this recording has never been available to the public. The supposed "hoarders" have it though....but whether or not they do, or if they even exist, remains to be proven.

Here's a thread I started I about TIL way back before CD ever had a release date....back when it was all shrouded in mystery and legend....

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=121519&st=0&p=2105493&hl=this%20i%20love&fromsearch=1entry2105493

not about Stephanie Seymour OR her kid as everyone seems to think....it was written while they were still together.

actually, the quote you give above is from a Kurt Loder interview in the backyard of Axl's old house in the Hollywood Hills. the video is on youtube. someone else can look it up, cause i'm too lazy.

Are you sure? I'm not positive I agree with your investigative work lol. I believe that quote actually did come from Hit Parader and not the Famous Last Words interview with Loder.

Apparently there's a clip of Axl playing the piano parts in the making of Estranged video.

looking for it now..

Here it is.

Not This I Love, but it's very structured, I don't think Axl was just jammin.

Maybe Axl was reffering to this when he said that we already heard The General.

Can be Atlas Shrugged, though. It's rumored to be like November Rain.

Actually it can be anything. And can be nothing at all too :D:

Guest Apollo

Question for the guy who hung with axl.......was the techno music playing Shacklers Revenge? You said that Axl said he was thinking about putting an album of that type of music. Was the song that was playing shacklers?

Question for the guy who hung with axl.......was the techno music playing Shacklers Revenge? You said that Axl said he was thinking about putting an album of that type of music. Was the song that was playing shacklers?

I guess you're talking to me? I'm not sure I understand your question, to be clear I just took a pic with Axl, never hung with him, he didn't talk to me about techno stuff, I just read it somewhere, when he was asked about "This I love".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GuVfhiwIgU

Chicago april 1992.

What about this intro to november rain?...doesn't it sound l this i love in some parts? :question:

I hear it. But then again, I'm not fluent in piano. Still, I hear it.

looking for it now..

Here it is.

Dude, Axl sounds so emotional here. It's truly heart wrenching.

No, it was nothing recognizable. It was real soft ambient beats. Like stuff you'd fall asleep to.

Now granted it was a long time ago, and I can't recall EXACTLY what he was playing, but the closest thing on the album to that sound was the short intro before the guitars in "Riad."

looking for it now..

Here it is.

that's some great piece of piano playing

looking for it now..

Here it is.

Right you are it's not TIL, it's just a pretty piece... BUT c'mon people(!), what's it sound like? Start singing along with me at 45 secs...

"That I've been brought down in the storm

And left so far out from the shore

That I can't find my way back, my way anymore.

Oh no I...."

See? Be it coincidence or not, that's what that 'sounds like'.

Also D's dead right. TIL and Novemeber Rain are nothing alike in structure. I've been playing for 100 years, and I at least safely don't suck!