Is Axl seen as the Nixon to Cobain's Kennedy in biased modern rock history?

ITW 2012

Is Axl seen as the Nixon to Cobain's Kennedy? Cobain is viewed as being the initiator of Camelot (Grunge) whereas Axl is viewed as being part of the old administration (Cock Rock). Cobain died young and became an icon whereas Axl lived and became somewhat of a myth. Axl's even caught up in his own Vietnam: a New GNR vs. Old GNR fan and press war that's seemingly unwinnable.

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobain wrote some cool tunes and could have wrote a lot more if he didn't offed himself. Axl embraced his life as a musician and even did and still does everything within his power to protect the band's future.

I don't see Axl as the bad guy or think he has some secret agenda. The media is not a real tool to discover the truth about any members in Guns. They have there own agenda.

Edited by Rovim

This thread is more about perception than truth. One new album in nearly 20 years isn't exactly embracing life as a musician. No doubt that Axl is all about the music but he has been caught up in his own Vietnam by using the GNR name. I can't help but think he'd have put out a few albums by now if he didn't have to deal with the struggle that comes with using the name.

Edited by ITW 2012

Is Axl seen as the Nixon to Cobain's Kennedy? Cobain is viewed as being the initiator of Camelot (Grunge) whereas Axl is viewed as being part of the old administration (Cock Rock). Cobain died young and became an icon whereas Axl lived and became somewhat of a myth. Axl's even caught up in his own Vietnam: a New GNR vs. Old GNR fan and press war that's seemingly unwinnable.

I liked this.

your brain is capable of some pretty creative, random pop-culture mutations. :thumbsup:

This thread is more about perception than truth. One new album in nearly 20 years isn't exactly embracing life as a musician. No doubt that Axl is all about the music but he has been caught up in his own Vietnam by using the GNR name. I can't help but think he'd have put out a few albums by now if he didn't have to deal with the struggle that comes with using the name.

We know of his troubles in the nineties and early 00's. Its a lot more than just the trouble with the name.

He got caught up in the lawyer shit and they sucked him in and milked him for millions i'd imagine.

Then theres Moby, telling us that Axl, when he came to talk with Moby to sign him to produce chinese D, Moby said Axl was like a washed up dog. unsure of what he was doing. Flailing around helpless. I can fully understand how this situation came to pass. Axl just wasn't dealing with stuff adequately. If he just had had more confidence with the damn Sean Beavan & co. sessions. our whole story would be different. and CD would actually kick fucking ass with a heavy industrial, technoid vibe going on. all that silkworms and such style crap. God those songs must have been really something... hours upon hours of Axl, trying to get the band of Finck/bucket/brain/huge/pitman etc. to sound heavier and nastier than NiN of the times. sigh.

I tought this thread was going to be more interesting then the old tired band name debate. My mistake.

I honestly don't think Axl planned or wanted Chinese Democracy to take that long to see the light of day. I always felt Axl was never going to let Guns N' Roses die no matter who left and why the fuck should he? Van halen, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden and many other bands have lost key members and kept the names of their bands.

The perception is: 'if Axl does it, it's wrong' like things would have been better in the hands of others. Like things weren't fucked up in this band right from the start...

But hey, it's easier to demonise one person and to shift the blame to one direction while never knowing enough to really fuckin' judge the situation from an objective point of view. I'm glad my favorite band's leader is someone like Axl and not someone like Cobain. At least he cares enough to not give up. (with all his personal problems)

I thought this thread was going to be more interesting then the old tired band name debate. My mistake.

It's not meant to be merely a name debate. I was responding to somebody else's post. I look at the Chinese Democracy era as being Axl's own personal Vietnam. He's mired in an unpopular WAR where he's done nothing to try and sway popular opinion. He's basically been marching his troops (New GNR) around the world for the past decade with no specific musictary objective. It's time to launch an all out attack. He needs to drop a new album, complete with singles and videos, and launch a new identity for GNR. He's reinvented the sound but he hasn't reinvented the brand.

Edited by ITW 2012

In negoiating with North Vietnam (Dj, McGhee, Simmons) Axl has found a way to resolve the Vietnam War.

It all depends if Axl will be impeached in Azoffgate. If so he will retire, but hooking up with guys who arguably make the most commercial rock of alltime, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Crue is the perfect move.

I am so torn on that statement. An icon? Pffft more like a pussy, like his music but the guy was a fucking idiot

Is there anything that you don't agree with Axl on in real life? Or is this just a continuation of a little more ass-kissing between tours to hopefully sweeten the back stage meet-and-greet next time around?

I am so torn on that statement. An icon? Pffft more like a pussy, like his music but the guy was a fucking idiot

Is there anything that you don't agree with Axl on in real life? Or is this just a continuation of a little more ass-kissing between tours to hopefully sweeten the back stage meet-and-greet next time around?

Um I commented on what I think about Kurt. I have felt that way since the day he blew his head off, why is that an issue for you? I disagree on lots, but Kurt was a fucking pussy for what he did. I listen to Nirvana on occasion but that does not change my view on what he did. Axl had his own problems with the dude, has nothing to do with what I think of Kurt.

In negoiating with North Vietnam (Dj, McGhee, Simmons) Axl has found a way to resolve the Vietnam War.

It all depends if Axl will be impeached in Azoffgate. If so he will retire, but hooking up with guys who arguably make the most commercial rock of alltime, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Crue is the perfect move.

Azoffgate could force the band out of the country permanently. It may have been best to go with a payout but that's not Axl's way.

Axl's press releases against Slash (Castro) have also created a Bay of Pigs type situation. He needed to either take him down completely with some damning new info or he needed to just ignore him. Instead, he's only strengthened Slash's Communist support by failing to take him down.

A commercial rock atom bomb of an album is what's needed to win the war at this point.

Edited by ITW 2012

They need to tap into the American Heartland via 80s hair metal meeting Axl lyrics & melodies. Dj, Ron, Fortus are the A Team.

He just needs a time machine to get back to the Reaganomics era. Axl's like a one man A-Team.

Edited by ITW 2012

They need to tap into the American Heartland via 80s hair metal meeting Axl lyrics & melodies. Dj, Ron, Fortus are the A Team.

He just needs a time machine to get back to the Reaganomics era. Axl's like a one man A-Team.

I just can't see a way to do a more straight ahead record, and with guys like Doc, Dj on the scene. Ron is a big Kiss fan. Seems like it's going that way?

I think it would be like No More Tears if he went that direction. Axl really needs some video exposure. He needs to let his iconic image and presence do the work.

Attacking his opponents in Nixon like style isn't helping him register new fans.

Edited by ITW 2012

I think his new Hunter S Thompson/Idianna Jones look is key. If he makes an album in that image, with Dj on board.

He's definitely got a counterculture action hero type look going on. Maybe they can get a song on The Rum Diary soundtrack.

I think his new Hunter S Thompson/Idianna Jones look is key. If he makes an album in that image, with Dj on board.

He's definitely got a counterculture action hero type look going on. Maybe they can get a song on The Rum Diary soundtrack.

We've got an 80s metal meets Our Man in Havana situation.

We've got a map to guide us, but it's actually it's a diagram of the inside of an iPad.