New Van Halen album with Roth coming in 2011

Naupis

This will mark the first time in 27 years Van Halen released an album with Diamond Dave on vocals. It will also be the first new Van Halen material since 1998.

While the webosphere has bantered rumors and various reports about a possible album with original frontman David Lee Roth since last year, a recent release announcing a re-upped deal between publisher Warner/Chappell and Eddie and Alex Van Halen stated that the band "is currently in the studio recording an album with Roth that is due for release in 2011."

Meanwhile, Van Halen manager and Live Nation Entertainment executive chairman Irivng Azoff mentioned on a conference call last month and an earning's call last night that Van Halen was expected to tour next year. That's good news for Live Nation as a disappointing 2010 season is hitting the touring giant's earnings. Van Halen's 2008 reunion tour with Roth was a massive success. It raked in a total gross of more than $93 million and close to one million in attendance from 74 shows, according to Billboard Boxscore.

A new Van Halen album would be the band's first studio album since 1998's "Van Halen III," which featured vocals by Gary Cherone, and the first with Roth since 1983's "1984," one of the band's best-selling albums.

http://www.billboard.com/events/van-halen-album-tour-expected-in-2011-1004108100.story?tag=hpfeed#/events/van-halen-album-tour-expected-in-2011-1004108100.story?tag=hpfeed

I take what Azoff says with a grain of salt, and if Alex and Ed have said they're working in the studio on a new CD, it's prob. going on right now.

VH had 3 songs for the last best of that Hagar wound up doing, but that best of always bothered me because they tacked 3 Roth songs that Hagar sang at the end. Need to revise it with having Dave sing those songs. But what's done is done I guess.

The tour was successful, but a second go round back to the same cities with the same exact setlist, will prob. not make as much money. Some people were happy to see the show, because they were too young to see them back in the day. But the shows went over well, and everyone commented on Dave and Ed going shirtless running around the stage, and looking good for their age.

They're prob. going overseas when they tour again, because they stuck to the US and Canada last tour.

In 2014, it will mark Van Halen being a band for 40 years. Not bad for a little band from Pasadena that came together to borrow Dave's equipment for a backyard party.

I will recommend going back to listen to VHIII as a casual listener of someone familiar with Cherone's singing, but also check out DLR Band, underrated but one of Dave's best solo albums - what could've come out of a reunited VH back then would've been great. I think the new CD will do well because they're going to give people something familiar sounding, Dave is prob. going the dirty old man route complete with cliches, yet Ed will def. have some new tricks up his sleeve on guitar.

That's awesome. I missed the last tour, and would like to have a chance to see them. They are far from wearing out their welcome at this point.

I am not a huge Van Halen fan. I like David Lee Roth as a person and personality, but was never a fan of his singing. But VH has some great songs, and I think live they are a whole lot different than the albums, in terms of energy.

Sounds good, but will believe it when I see it. What the hell is this thing even gonna sound like in 2011?

Hate to say it, but there's about a 20% chance it could be really good...and much larger odds for a total train wreck. Always wanted another Dave-VH album, but now that it could be a reality, pretty scary!! . :lol:

Sounds good, but will believe it when I see it. What the hell is this thing even gonna sound like in 2011?

Hate to say it, but there's about a 20% chance it could be really good...and much larger odds for a total train wreck. Always wanted another Dave-VH album, but now that it could be a reality, pretty scary!! . :lol:

For it to be good or great, they need a producer who won't kiss Eddies ass. If the song/solo/structure sucks, Ed needs to take the criticism and make it better. That hasn't been is M.O. for a long time. And Ed is sober, which plays a part. In the past he's always been drinking. We shall see. Still no conformation from the Van Halen brothers, and Dave isn't allowed to say anything.

I don't know if it'll be a train wreck or met with lukewarm response. New music by established artists no matter how big they are can be such a crap shoot.

Not sure if someone from the forum came up with this, but is a good chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKkGBgDJbqs&feature=related

get eddie drunk again this dude plays the shit out of a guitar trashed

no he doesn't.

2004 tour was rough. He was on something, could've been mixing alcohol with the meds he might have been on, or just abusing drugs hard (which Valerie had hinted at in her book).

Even though the band flopped with Cherone, the 1998 shows were great - a lot of Dave era songs they hadn't done since Dave left and he had no problem singing Sam's stuff.

Ed drunk didn't sound like much fun except when he was much younger and his body could take it. Over the past 20 years, a whole other story, a sad addict who could get through a show but just got really erratic, unpredictable and violent. Prior to the 2007 tour he checked himself back in to rehab because he was heading down that same road again.. it was the rock hall induction, the tour rehearsals, trying to walk a fine line between father and bandmate with his son, and just the fact that he was working with Dave - and he prob. wanted to make sure the same thing didn't happen again. Band made almost 100 mil on that tour just covering the US and Canada.

He had said that he still has a few bottles of wine during the show, but they're those small bottles.

But you can see how the band played drunk... The US Festival clips. But after years of rehearsing and playing those songs inside and out, they could play those songs in their sleep.That's why most bands usually save the drinking for after the show... usually when bands get baked like that, it was because they were waiting around for hours, in the summertime, in hot ass San Bernadino, bottled water was something you poured out of a tap and put in a thermos. Not sure how GNR handle the festivals, whether they hang out the entire day, or get in and out of there,

Same thing was said about Woodstock - a lot of waiting around and disorganized... people tripping, assuming they had another 12 hours to go but got pushed to the stage and told they had to play right then and there. Some people were just tired, some people were getting electrocuted, and some people were too drunk and high and were cut out of the movie.