Guns n Roses, Vienna - September 18th

Fun n' Games

Short version of report: Awesome, great, kickass show!

Longer version of report:

Setlist

01. Chinese Democracy

02. Welcome To The Jungle

03. It's So Easy

04. Mr. Brownstone

05. Sorry

06. Beta

07. Richard Fortus Solo (James Bond Theme)

08. Live And Let Die

09. This I Love

10. Rocket Queen

11. Dizzy Reed Solo

12. Street Of Dreams

13. You Could Be Mine

14. DJ Ashba Solo (Ballad Of Death)

15. Sweet Child O' Mine

16. Jam (Purple Haze riffs/Another Brick In The Wall: Part 2) / Axl Solo (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road/Someone Saved My Life Tonight)

17. November Rain

18. Bumblefoot Solo (Pink Panther Theme)

19. Shackler's Revenge

20. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

21. Nightrain

Encore

22. Madagascar

23. Whole Lotta Rosie

24. Band Jam

25. Paradise City

Axl didn't talk a lot in between the songs; after the second or third song he said (reciting all quotes from memory): "Wow, what a great crowd, we got a great audience here tonight! And there are some nice Austrian girls here too..." He later mentioned the crowd again. Maybe that was one reason why he seemed to be in a really good mood, he was smiling a lot; during Shacklers he got this wicked devilish look in his eyes (impersonating the Shackler). The fire from within was burning bright, so to speak.

During KOHD, right before the audience sings, he told a little story I witnessed myself in 2006, when Guns had played here the last time (and I was urprised he could remember this gig, I suppose it all becomes a blur when touring): "So the last time we played here in Austria, that was a couple of years ago at Novarock, I remember I had this little TV there backstage, and could watch a band that went out before us, it was the Bloodhound Gang. And the bassist, he got naked, climbed up onto the drum raiser, and urinated into a baseball cap. And then the singer put on the cap and had the piss all over him. Now I say, what's that supposed to be, fuck that shit!" (with a grin on his face).

The crowd was indeed great, especially in the beginning, I got the feeling that they wore themselves out quite quickly and didn't have a lot of enery left for the second half of the show. Few people around me seemed to know the new songs, but some of them were received really well. TIL got an enthusiastic response. The piano solos sounded beautiful to me.

The show started pretty much on time... The support band was 20 minutes late, and GNR came on about 45 minutes after the support band (some Austrian band I had never heard of before and didn't like too much) had finished. Kind of funny that we were surprised by the start of the show and still sitting on the floor when suddenly the houselights went down and DJs riff came on...

Show went on for 2 and a half hours, that's really a lot more than most bands give you, and Axl was on fire and giving it his all. According to a ridiculously hateful review that is all over the internet today, the attendance was 12.000. Reading this one and other reviews and having been at the event myself, I can see that the reports don't have anything to do with reality and that the press really must hate Axl and is truely carrying on a personal vendetta against him. You could argue that this is just the reaction to how he treats the press, but in any case, such reports are really the low point of journalism (if you can read German you can check it out here, and it is just one example: http://www.vienna.at/news/wien/artikel/guns-n-roses-in-wien-cover-chaos-mit-axl-rose/cn/news-20100919-08474327).

I met with Sekh-met and Mixyl before the concert (hi guys, was great to be there with you!).

After the show... well... that's a really long story... let's just say for now, that in front of the hotel we got to meet a part of the band, Fernando and almost Axl too, but got fucked by a really off-the-wall security guy from the hotel (not band security). We had a chat with DJ, who is really cool and laid back (very hot girlfriend, or whoever that was...), and Frank for a sec, very laid back and friendly dude, and a longer chat with Fernando, who is just the sweetest and most down-to-earth guy you could possibly imagine.

All in all, like somebody said on this forum: If you consider this an Axl solo band (although it's not, just look at the CD song credits), then by all means do so, but go see this band! I don't know everything that's out there, but I can imagine that this is the best you gonna get in todays world of Rock n' fucking Roll!

Lost some weight at this concert...

Edited by Fun n' Games

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody here going to the concert and up to meeting at Chilinos, the mexican bar/ restaurant right next to the venue? Adress:

Chilinos Stadthalle

Hütteldorfer Straße / Corner Märzpark - Halle F

1150 Vienna

If we are enough people, I will reserve a spot there - I suggest we meet at 17:00 (that's when the restaurant opens).

I know some people from outside are coming, so you guys need any help in Vienna, just let me know. Gonna be an awesome concert, so far Axl has never been late when playing in Austria...

PS: If anybody needs any tickets: ebay has plenty, and buying in front of the venue at the day of the concert should also be possible at very reasonable prices.

Shit yeah, I'd love to meet some fellow gunners before the show. rock3 rock3 rock3

ok im there at 6 hopefully so when you see a girl with black/brown hair looking lost (probably dressed all in black too)wave at me alright? :P

or give me a hint how you guys look or a pic ;)

and how is it nowadays in stadhalle is it still possible to sneak my camera in? I would love to do some HD quality vids :D

I will be there from about 17:00 on and off (picking up the ticket at 17:30), and then in any case from 18:00 on at the latest. I'm 1,90 tall, dark hair, standing alone at the bar (unless it's with you guys...).

After the concert: Aftershow party at club OST!

Sneaking in a camera should be possible.

I will be there from about 17:00 on and off (picking up the ticket at 17:30), and then in any case from 18:00 on at the latest. I'm 1,90 tall, dark hair, standing alone at the bar (unless it's with you guys...).

Ok see ya there!

ah afterparty - great! :D

that would be nice, gonna try! :)

..would be awesome if they play some Hendrix!

Ok see ya there!

ah afterparty - great! :D

that would be nice, gonna try! :)

..would be awesome if they play some Hendrix!

Hey, I sent you an email to your hotmail adress.

See ya soon!