Pop stars covering rock songs.

Encore

lyke, i honestly can't stand when pop stars cover rock songs and they think they're all cool.

ya'll know i love britney, but her cover of i love rock n roll was awful, she looked hot in the music video, but the song was awful.

so yea, do ya'll agree or disagree?

i'd take a pop cover over someone like taylor momsen who legitimately pushes the image, all the time. most of those covers never do well anyway.

Taylor is one of the few that is listenable. Not that I'd call that stuff pop, nor do they really do much in the way of covers.

the worst part is, her band isn't even that bad. she's just ruining it with the image she's trying too hard to create.

Edited by LaBellaVita

To me, Lindsey Lohan's cover of Stevie Wonder's "Living For the City" had me in stitches, and wasn't "I Love Rock and Roll" for that movie she did? I'm going to say that it wasn't their decision to cover those songs, it was the movie studio.

Mariah Carey covering "Bringing On The Heartbreak", complete with Dave Navarro playing a solo that he DID NOT PLAY on her song but in the video has to be the top of the crap heap. Taylor Swift singing "Two Steps Behind" with Def Leppard, and even "Photograph" was tolerable.

Miley Cyrus and Bret Michaels singing "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - also comical.

Celine Dion singing AC/DC "You Shook Me All Night Long" (and put Shania's cover behind that)... oof. Shakira singing "Back in Black", I'm on the fence about, but the beginning's bad.

Whoring out - Aerosmith, Britney Spears, and N'Sync singing "Walk This Way" at the Super Bowl.

I don't think pop stars do classic songs because they're trying to be cool. Mary J Blige didn't need to do "Stairway to Heaven" to score cool points with her audience. It's no diff. than any band that does a cover song people know.

To me, Lindsey Lohan's cover of Stevie Wonder's "Living For the City" had me in stitches, and wasn't "I Love Rock and Roll" for that movie she did? I'm going to say that it wasn't their decision to cover those songs, it was the movie studio.

Mariah Carey covering "Bringing On The Heartbreak", complete with Dave Navarro playing a solo that he DID NOT PLAY on her song but in the video has to be the top of the crap heap. Taylor Swift singing "Two Steps Behind" with Def Leppard, and even "Photograph" was tolerable.

Miley Cyrus and Bret Michaels singing "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - also comical.

Celine Dion singing AC/DC "You Shook Me All Night Long" (and put Shania's cover behind that)... oof. Shakira singing "Back in Black", I'm on the fence about, but the beginning's bad.

Whoring out - Aerosmith, Britney Spears, and N'Sync singing "Walk This Way" at the Super Bowl.

I don't think pop stars do classic songs because they're trying to be cool. Mary J Blige didn't need to do "Stairway to Heaven" to score cool points with her audience. It's no diff. than any band that does a cover song people know.

Bro, how do you know all this stuff? :lol::lol: Nearly 99% of your posts contain references to trivial shit all over the music spectrum! Not saying they're not excellent posts, but damn.

Guest Len B'stard

If you're gonna cover a song, do something with it, thats all i ask. Bring something of yourself to it, gimme a different take, things aren't that fuckin sacred y'know, mix it up a little. What i hate is just taking a rockin' song and then transplanting it to a pop format and just generically singing it (generically?!?!), fuckin do something with the shit.

As a general thing though i think 99% popstars are the spawn of Satan and should be dragged out into the street, blindfolded, given a last cigarette, lined up facing a wall, shot in the back of the head and buried in a mass grave, just fuck off and leave rock n roll alone, the more of a line between rock n roll and pop (by pop i mean manufactured for mass consumption bullshit, not rock n roll bands that are partial to a bit of the ol' verse chorus verse) the better if you ask me, fuck em, they're the problem, differentiate yourself from these motherfuckers and don't let em at your gems (meaning the classics).

Fuck em, why the fuck should The Pistols or The Stones songs be accepted by the establishment, after all this fuckin time, after all the shit they got from the establishment in their day, now after all this time the same fuckin ass kissers should be afforded an oppertunity to desicrate something they were so strongly against in the first place? Fuck em.

If you're gonna cover a song, do something with it, thats all i ask. Bring something of yourself to it, gimme a different take, things aren't that fuckin sacred y'know, mix it up a little.

^ this

Probably on my own here, but I've always loved this cover. Sounds so unlike the original i'd no idea what it was the 1st time I heard it.