Is anybody else reminded of all the actors who've played James Bond when they think of GNR lead guitarists?

ITW 2012

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velvet Revolver has played it but I'm not sure if Guns ever has. Axl did a little Light My Fire improv back on the 06 tour. He'd have to change the "woke up this morning" line to make it feel authentic though.

I wonder what Axl's favorite Bond movie is. Probably something we wouldn't think of like Moonraker.

Rose Motel would be Barron drinking songs and sea shanties.

A life, death, and travel on the high seas album is what I'm hoping CD II is all about.

Edited by ITW 2012

Tsunami Entertainment were Axl's youtube FBI at some point. Sometimes I think Axl is the Bond of the music industry. Chinese Democracy was just part of his top secret mission to take down Irving Azoff and Ticketmaster.

Edited by ITW 2012

They have developed in a similar way. Bond was more of a rugged misogynist to begin with, then he started dominating exotic chicks in foreign locations and doing pervy one liners, then he went big budget action thriller who has a few issues.

• 4 months later...

Lazenby is the most hated bond here.

which is too bad, because his movie had Diana Rigg :wub:

Yeah but from a Bond fan perspective we went from Connery...to this weird guy named George...and then back to Connery.

My two favorite Bonds are Connery and Moore, with Dalton following them. Both of them are utterly original in their own takes on the character.

Brosnan tried to be a '90s version of Connery, and then became Moore in his last movie, and Craig is just an amped up version of Dalton.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl Rose and James Bond are similar in that we'll never be able to fully understand either character. They're alike also in the sense that both seem to be incapable of becoming acquainted with other human beings (because of their eccentric lifestyles and mental complexities). Furthermore, 007 and Rose (despite the luxury at their disposal and “success” they can claim), are ultimately never happy with their exploits.

each movie has a new Bond girl, a new gadget, a new villain, vehichle. Same as GNR records. Always a new GNR Lady (Everly, Seymour, Beta), different type of Hat (top hat, bucket, fedora), diferent enemy (Cops, Media, Internet), vehicle (Harley, White 'vette, Van)

The Chinese Democracy trilogy will probably be like Axl's Indiana Jones trilogy. Appetite was Jaws, The Illusions were Close Encounters and ET, and CD I is Raiders. He's Spielberg when it comes right down to it.

Edited by ITW 2012

CD I was Axl travelling through the Gobi desert to Tibet, then find a secret passageway into a Buddhist temple where he had to replace a mythological Crystal Buddha with a bag of weed and escape to Shangri-la being chased by an army of Mongolians on horseback. Maybe CD II will be like Spy Hard.

Is anybody else reminded of all the actors who've played James Bond when they think of GNR lead guitarists?

Slash

The original classic lead guitarist of GNR. He's definitely the Sean Connery of the lot. Played on their biggest albums and will always be the definitive GNR guitarist. Like Connery in Highlander, The Untouchables or Indiana Jones: Slash has found success outside GNR in his work with Velvet Revolver, Michael Jackson and Lenny Kravitz. No matter what he does though, the public will always see him as the lead guitarist of GNR; just like how Connery will always be seen as being James Bond.

Buckethead

The enigma. He's the George Lazenby of GNR guitarists. Didn't stick around very long, but made a real impact with his work on Chinese Democracy. Very much like the impact Lazenby had on On Her Majesty's Secret Service. A small minority of die hard fans even consider him to be the best GNR guitarist ever. He was the first GNR guitarist to wear a bucket on his head, while Lazenby was the first James Bond to wear a kilt.

Robin Finck

The Roger Moore of GNR. Was known to the public as the guitar player in NIN before he ever joined GNR. Just as Roger Moore was known to the public as The Saint on British television before he ever played Bond. Robin, like Moore, brought a different style to the role of GNR's lead guitarist: choppy, and some would say sloppy, but original nonetheless. He also held the role for a long period of time, just like Moore who portrayed Bond from the early 70's to the mid 80's.

Richard Fortus

Technically he's classified as the rhythm player of the band, but he does play his fair share of leads live. He's also been known to play the James Bond theme song during his solo spot at Guns shows.

DJ Ashba and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal

The whippersnappers of GNR lead guitar. Have yet to write with Guns so it is unknown which Bond actors they'll best match up with. No doubt in my mind that a comparison will arise at some point down the road though.

I'd class Fortus as Timothy Dalton. The quiet, reserved Bond. The shady background man.

and DJ Ashba as Pierce Brosnan. Brosnan tried to emulate a mix of Connery and Moore; Ashba tries to emulate a mix of Slash and Finck.

BBF is David Niven, perhaps?

Edited by Count Drugcula

Slash

The original classic lead guitarist of GNR. He's definitely the Sean Connery of the lot. Played on their biggest albums and will always be the definitive GNR guitarist. Like Connery in Highlander, The Untouchables or Indiana Jones: Slash has found success outside GNR in his work with Velvet Revolver, Michael Jackson and Lenny Kravitz. No matter what he does though, the public will always see him as the lead guitarist of GNR; just like how Connery will always be seen as being James Bond.

You forgot one thing; technically inferior to the new guy.

Who would be the Brosnan? Looks good on paper, but just ends in disappointment.

Slash

You forgot one thing; technically inferior to the new guy.

not relevant