UYI overproduced

Vincent Vega

I don't really have much of a desire to see the old GNR back together at all.

I don't buy that, people that say this would be the first to lose their shit and be in line for tickets if GNR got going again...

Honestly, what's the point? i'd be more excited if new Guns will move forward with the current players with no more line up changes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WAY too much Dizzy Reed in the UYI - and Axl's layered voices like in Knockin on Heaven's door. KOHD is way better from the Ritz live version. It is raw. The UYI version is way to refined.

Ah, so it's all Axl (and someone Axl is friends with)'s fault.

We get it buddy. BUT YOUR REUNION AIN'T EVER COMING!

I'd be excited, yes. I'd buy tickets if they were near me, but I genuinely like the band as it is and don't feel a real need for the old guys to reunite. It'd be awesome, but I'm just as happy with what we have now.

you can be supportive of what may be there in place now, that doesn't mean it wouldn't shook up the rock world if old school lineup ever worked together even for a one off or by accident.

I mean, the most note-worthy instance of the current band's tour was DUFF walking up onstage with them... :shrugs:

except of course the Black Album had multiple hit singles, broke Metallica out of the theaters and into the stadiums, and sold like a kajillion copies...

Yeah and the Black album opened the doors to "box sets" music videos, and all kinds of other shit Metallica said they would never do. They sold out to the record companys and became a band for money, and thats ok, like Newstead said "yep we sold out, every stadium we played in" But after watching them have there group therapy sessions about there feelings on Some Kind of Monster I lost what little respect i had left of the band I once loved. Yep, they sat down and did what all the "reunite GNR" fans want. They sat at a table and talked about how one's feeling were hurt by what another had said, boo hoo..If GNR ever did that we'd be burning them at the stake for being fake as hell. But they didnt do it, they all said fuck you to each other and moved on. I respect that more than crying to a therapist you bring on tour so that you can "express" how much your hurting because you don't feel your input is taken properly, wtf..

except of course the Black Album had multiple hit singles, broke Metallica out of the theaters and into the stadiums, and sold like a kajillion copies...

<_<

:lol:

I always thought the UYI albums had too many songs, rather than them being overproduced

Dude, it was a double album, hence UYI 1 and UYI 2, it was supposed to have alot of songs.

I shouldn't have been because the quality wasn't there, half of UYI 2 was filler, the UYI albums weren't overproduced in the overdubs sense but in the song sense

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to AFD, yes it is over produced and personally I preferred the bare stripped down versions of some of the songs as they played them on the "Skin N Bones" Tour....Hopefully the stripped down demos without Axl's overdubs that Slash mentioned in interviews will surface someday so we all can do a proper comparison.............

The only real flaw I see with the Illusions is Izzy's guitar being so buried in the mix. I think in a two guitarist band, both guitars should be equal in volume, and the production should slice very clear as you can tell who is playing what.

I agree Izzy's guitar playing being buried in the mix was a problem. I also think the introduction of Sorum was a backward step.

I disagree with your post above about novembe Rain though. While synth can be a defining element of a song, on November Rain it always felt a little tacked on imo?

Moreover I think the bombastic version that appeared on the album was kinda ill fitting for the lryical content. I thin kthe song would had much more pathos if it was just Axl and the piano.

Compared to AFD, yes it is over produced and personally I preferred the bare stripped down versions of some of the songs as they played them on the "Skin N Bones" Tour....Hopefully the stripped down demos without Axl's overdubs that Slash mentioned in interviews will surface someday so we all can do a proper comparison.............

The only real flaw I see with the Illusions is Izzy's guitar being so buried in the mix. I think in a two guitarist band, both guitars should be equal in volume, and the production should slice very clear as you can tell who is playing what.

I agree Izzy's guitar playing being buried in the mix was a problem. I also think the introduction of Sorum was a backward step.

I disagree with your post above about novembe Rain though. While synth can be a defining element of a song, on November Rain it always felt a little tacked on imo?

Moreover I think the bombastic version that appeared on the album was kinda ill fitting for the lryical content. I thin kthe song would had much more pathos if it was just Axl and the piano.

I disagree, to be honest.

I feel the synth gives it that sort of epic feel, I can't quit explain it--That sort of "The Rain Song" epicness to it.

It adds a beauty to the song despite the sadness of the lyrics.

A song which should've been just Axl and the piano, IMO, is This I Love. THAT song should've had more pathos. That's an example of where synth isn't needed.

I disagree, to be honest.

I feel the synth gives it that sort of epic feel, I can't quit explain it--That sort of "The Rain Song" epicness to it.

It adds a beauty to the song despite the sadness of the lyrics.

A song which should've been just Axl and the piano, IMO, is This I Love. THAT song should've had more pathos. That's an example of where synth isn't needed.

I understand the analogy you are making but for me the rain song has a kinda other worldly almost mystic feel to it which I think the synth helps with. In the case of November Rain to my ear the synth did not work as well.

I actually think just Axl the piano and maybe a flute would have been perfect. Although I would like to hear a proper release of the accoutic version too as it was also very cool but in a completely different way.

I just don't get "This I love" so its hard for me to commment. I am not a hater I have seen the new band 4 times and bought the album, but this one just never grew on me.

I dunno when I hear Axl sing this one it always makes me think of him as a Las Vegas lounge singer, I think its the way he sings it. Also the rhyming makes me cringe a little, I realise he does it on other songs. But here given that he is meant to be pouring out his sole it seems outta place?