A remarkable night with Axl Rose.

ManetsBR

MEMORY – A REMARKABLE NIGHT WITH AXL ROSE

In this section you will go through the Rock In Rio’s time tunnel, remembering remarkable moments from the festival from a different point of view, because the stories here told come directly from the people that makes this event happens for more than 25 years.

And debuting this section is Axl Rose and his come back to the huge shows on Rock in Rio 2001, for the delight of more than 200 thousand people at the City of Rock on the night of January 14th. Absent from the stages for seven years then, no one knew what to expect from the Guns N Roses’ performance, neither the audience, the producers, nor even Axl himself.

Everything started with the interest from the band itself to come back to play at the stage that, ten years before, had consecreted the band in two historical concerts. This interest quickly became reciprocal and, negociations made and everything checked, there was only the final “yes” from Axl Rose left to set on the stone his come back in great style. The time was short and the organization needed an urgent answer to close the festival’s line-up, however, before endorse his come back, Axl wanted to consult his “spiritual guru” to see if his comeback would be successful. Confusions and consultations aside, it all worked out at the end, and on January 12th of 2001 Axl Rose was already in brazilian ground, and the countdown to his show had already began.

Moments before his presentation, two requests tested the organization's competence: the band’s manager asked for the scheme that was already done for Axl’s arrival to be changed, asking for a helipad closer to the stage; besides, the band’s security chef decided to prohibit whatever kind of photography, including from the audience, warning that Axl and the band would only take the stage after all the photographers that were already close to the stage to take their shots were removed.

Providential changes and requests accorded as possible, there was only the waiting before the spectacle. The Rock in Rio were ready to welcome Axl Rose and Guns N’ Roses’ come back. But were Axl and Guns ready to come back to the musical scene right on Rock in Rio?

A few minutes after the end of the performance, it was possible to answer this question, and in a very positive way. It was a remarkable concert, not just for the memorable performance from the band and it’s frontman, but also because of the connection between the audience and the singer, with a synergy capable to transform the performance into a mutual show between the band and the audience.

Thousands of people got emotional – specially Axl Rose. So much that, at the end of the concert, he called to the stage the brazilian Elisabeth Lebeis, his personal assistant (that were being “like a mother” to him), to translate his appreciation towards her and the brazilian public.

And after saying goodbye to the audience, Axl took a big group of journalists to the hotel he was hosted for a chat. Arriving there, everyone sat by the pool, where Axl made a huge Caipirinha, squeezing the lemons with his own hands in an ice bucket for champagne. The star told about his whole life, career and personal dramas to the presents, in a chat that lasted until the break of dawn. The chat ended with a golden key the night that’s safe into Axl’s memory, the journalists’ and all the spectators who had the oportunity to participate of this historical moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMW31wtwpk&feature=player_embedded

Source: Rock in Rio Official Site

I think it was translated by Pinball Wizard, from Here Today Gone To Hell, so, thanks to him.

Edited by ManetsBR

I don't think so. He didn't use much of his raspy voice, which isn't exactly a bad thing actually. I liked how he sounded for the biggest part of the show, especially in November Rain and KOHD... a singer doesn't always need to sing like a duck to be considered a good singer. In fact, his range was even shorter and sometimes he couldn't even keep his tone back then, when he used to sing with his raspier voice.

Oh, and yeah, that was a great night! That's when I became a GNR fan. I was watching the show with my older sister, and she was an old GNR fan... so we were curious before and, after the show, surprised by how good they sounded.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

I don't think so. He didn't use much of his raspy voice, which isn't exactly a bad thing actually. I liked how he sounded for the biggest part of the show, especially in November Rain and KOHD... a singer doesn't always need to sing like a duck to be considered a good singer. In fact, his range was even shorter and sometimes he couldn't even keep his tone back then, when he used to sing with his raspier voice.

Oh, and yeah, that was a great night! That's when I became a GNR fan. I was watching the show with my older sister, and she was an old GNR fan... so we were curious before and, after the show, surprised by how good they sounded.

Ummm he got out sang by Robin Finck during Nightrain buddy. He sounded shit that night.

This is imo 1 of the best versions of Chinese democracy.

I prefer this version of the song above the album version.

Agreed. I LOVE the album version, but there's an awesome energy with this version. Shorter, faster and far more punky...

Just my toughts. I first heared this somewhere around 2002 and i was realy excited because imo the sound of the song came close by the early '90s G N' R sound. I still can't understand why they didn't keep this sound for the album. It would made the album so much better.

I remember that concert... First time I'd seen Axl perform since the Illusion tour.

Interesting that all 3 of the guitarists from that 2001-02 era were eventually replaced, some for the better (Ashba>Finck, Fortus>Paul Huge), some for the worse (Buckethead>Bumblefoot)

LA

The Rock In Rio gig was interesting. I still have it on Vhs (it was that long ago)

I thought this is it, Chinese Democracy is due anytime now!

How wrong I was :D

Other than the 'raw' New Years eve gig (Vegas?) there had been more more sighting of the Yeti than Axl Rose.

When Rose hit the Rio stage I wasn't sure what to think..

He looked fat, very fat. What was he wearing? it was like he didn't know what to wear, so opted for casual.

On the upside, Axl sounded better than 2010, and performed the best version of the The Blues ever.

Buckethead played the hell out of Nightrain and made it his own. Robin Finck and Buckethead played an amazing duet.

Axl's sound issues gave the impression the event was all too much for him.

If they had released Chinese Democracy in 2001, I still say Brain, Robin, Buckethead would be onboard now, and the album would have sounded better, and possibly have sold more.

Edited by star

Jungle was completely awesome.

Don't bash on me, but do i sense some backing tracks on the scream in the beginning of the song??

Because there's no way he could pull that.

He couldn't do it back in the AFD tour, how could he do it in RiR 2001?´

Or maybe i'm being stupid and he sounded awesome.

I don't get why people bash on the 2001-2002 tour because of Axl's voice.

I like it.

The first half of Madagascar and Bucket's solo on it are highlights for me.

The crowd was great too. Really carried that show.

The Rio show was as good as the new GN'R got, and then, for reasons unknown, they waited years, and years, and years, loosing Brain, Bucket, Robin (the most 3 talented members) along the way, before releasing the album. They allowed last minute band additions to add their parts. Madness, utter madness :shrugs:

Don't bash on me, but do i sense some backing tracks on the scream in the beginning of the song??

He did it in 2006 quite easily.......

LA

Or maybe i'm being stupid and he sounded awesome.

I don't get why people bash on the 2001-2002 tour because of Axl's voice.

I like it.

no way in hell thats a backingtrack!

jungle from rio is awesome. or, at least the beginning of the song and from the second solo. he is amazing on the outro there

Where is Elisabeth Lebeis now??is she still with axel??

I believe tha Axl's voice is now days better that 2000-2002 .Maybe it is a matter of practice...

And he was not fat.He was not so thin like the old days. But thats the reason i belive that in chinese democracy tour he is wearing cloths all time.

The HOB performance of Chinese Democracy is the best. It's better than Rio or the 02 tours. There probably isn't any other song that sounded best on the very first performance, but the HOB is everything that is great about Rio, but tighter and better. I think The Blues was a little better at HOB as well, even though the best quality has a few seconds gap. There isn't "ok nevermind", which I guess some like and some don't. House of Blues 01 was a great show. I wish there was video. Axl sounds great and probably would have sounded that good at RiR and the 02 tour if he hadn't ran around everywhere.