Rearviewmirror

wasted

Sounds like Axl is a big Eddie Vedder fan, that's almost what he's doing. Unplugged was a masterstroke. PJ don't seem as commercial as U2, every U2 song has clean vocals and silky smooth production. It doesn't help that the bottom has dropped out of the rec industry. Even Bono can't make a pitch.

Axl turned out to be more Grunge than anyone from the Seattle scene.

It was as if Cobain threw a funeral for himself on Unplugged.

PJ is more of a classic rock sounding band. They are sort of like a grunge Doors. Eddie Vedder is the only rock star but the rest of the guys are still really important as songwriters and players.

axl makes de la rocha look like an a llist celebrity. I think he must have known it was the end. guns was more like 5 rock stars enter rehab, only one survived.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there even a 'best' pj song?

Yellow Ledbetter. Try to argue against that

no .. actually there's just so many: given to fly, rearviewmirror, black, daughter, wishlist, the point i'm trying to make is I can listen to almost each of their songs and feel as moved as the one before. whenever i think this is the 'best' song, the next day i feel that way about another. sorry. i've actually been listening to the melbourne Oz concert bootleg these last days, so i'm gonna pay particular attention in light of this thread and let you know which one came up trumps for me.

how there songs start remind me of street of dreams. just straight in there.

i agree, i really like that about sod too. interesting melodies off the bat, and great lyrical arrangement

Edited by maXx

no .. actually there's just so many: given to fly, rearviewmirror, black, daughter, wishlist, the point i'm trying to make is I can listen to almost each of their songs and feel as moved as the one before. whenever i think this is the 'best' song, the next day i feel that way about another.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I really really can't put a finger on one favourite of all time. Well, maybe to me, most of the time it has been "Oceans" but right now it is "Tremor Christ" or "Inside Job", so... :shrugs:

is there even a 'best' pj song?

Yellow Ledbetter. Try to argue against that

no .. actually there's just so many: given to fly, rearviewmirror, black, daughter, wishlist, the point i'm trying to make is I can listen to almost each of their songs and feel as moved as the one before. whenever i think this is the 'best' song, the next day i feel that way about another. sorry. i've actually been listening to the melbourne Oz concert bootleg these last days, so i'm gonna pay particular attention in light of this thread and let you know which one came up trumps for me.

how there songs start remind me of street of dreams. just straight in there.

i agree, i really like that about sod too. interesting melodies off the bat, and great lyrical arrangement

"i seem to recognise your face" - that one but might misquote.

twat early guitars seems to have pj influence too but might be wrong. i thought that when listening to world wide suicide.

twat early guitars seems to have pj influence too but might be wrong. i thought that when listening to world wide suicide.

The waiting drove me mad

You’re finally here and I’m a mess .. how's that for an opener?

and... Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay

Were laid spread out before me, as her body once did

They have SO many good songs and most of them have meaning, both lyrically and emotionally.

~ to be honest i haven't been giving cd much time at all lately. But I have been noticing some guitar riffs in random songs that I swear could have been lifted directly from other known bands' material

Wholeheartedly agreed. I really really can't put a finger on one favourite of all time. Well, maybe to me, most of the time it has been "Oceans" but right now it is "Tremor Christ" or "Inside Job", so... :shrugs:

right now it's corduroy for me, but inside job has a haunting beautiful intro

1. Yellow Ledbetter

2. Alive

then it gets difficult ...

3. Leash

4. Given To Fly

5. Breath

???

approximately...

Drifting, Down, Dissident, Black, Wishlist, in some order...

Maybe others

This is my Pearl Jam 2 disc playlist:

vyy0wz.png2e3sope.jpg

And this is the top 10, by number of times listened to: (does not include past data before an iTunes library wipeout, and eschewed by many times when I didn't listen to the song all the way to the end - yet YL is still #1)

r780if.png

The waiting drove me mad

You’re finally here and I’m a mess .. how's that for an opener?

They have SO many good songs and most of them have meaning, both lyrically and emotionally.

~ to be honest i haven't been giving cd much time at all lately. But I have been noticing some guitar riffs in random songs that I swear could have been lifted directly from other known bands' material

I'm liking Nothing as it Seems right now, they do just enough to up the ante. What songs are those intros.

When I listen to Scraped I can't help but think of Manic Depression by Jimi... meets The Prodigy. I think they were pulling from a small group of 90s bands while thinking this is GNR.

no .. actually there's just so many: given to fly, rearviewmirror, black, daughter, wishlist, the point i'm trying to make is I can listen to almost each of their songs and feel as moved as the one before. whenever i think this is the 'best' song, the next day i feel that way about another.

Don't you have the lyrics to Oceans tattooed somewhere? I've always been interesting in seeing that tattoo :)

The waiting drove me mad

You're finally here and I'm a mess .. how's that for an opener?

I'm liking Nothing as it Seems right now, they do just enough to up the ante. What songs are those intros.

When I listen to Scraped I can't help but think of Manic Depression by Jimi... meets The Prodigy. I think they were pulling from a small group of 90s bands while thinking this is GNR.

The guitars through much of Nothing as it Seems are pure Pink Floyd -Shine on you Crazy Diamond I'd say, and McReady outshines himself. I suspect Eddi is a huge fan too.

Edited by maXx

Maybe I missed it but has no one mentioned Off He Goes? I don't know that I can confidently say it's my favorite Pearl Jam song (because I can't honestly say that I have a single PJ favorite song) but it's definitely in my top 5.

My other favorites are : Black, Wishlist, Better Man, Yellow Ledbetter, Rearviewmirror, Lukin, Go, Thumbing My Way, State Of Love and Trust, Light Years, Down, and I Got ID.

.. or bucket's influence thrown in with an already eclectic mix of axl musical tastes

Don't you have the lyrics to Oceans tattooed somewhere? I've always been interesting in seeing that tattoo :)

Ha, yeah, I have the lyrics they way they are in the booklet tattooed on my inner right arm. I really don't think I have a picture of that, but I'll go searching and come back with one eventually!

.. or bucket's influence thrown in with an already eclectic mix of axl musical tastes

Bucket's influence would be like a Rob Zombie/Korn song then Axl would have made it kick ass like GNR song. On the second side it seems like they tried less to sound like GNR.

The waiting drove me mad

You're finally here and I'm a mess .. how's that for an opener?

The guitars through much of Nothing as it Seems are pure Pink Floyd -Shine on you Crazy Diamond I'd say, and McReady outshines himself. I suspect Eddi is a huge fan too.

That's the one PF album I listen outside of Division Bell.

at the moment i'm hoping to get in on excess stock ticket pre-sales on the 25th to one of Eddie's SOLD OUT Melbourne shows. They just scheduled some Perth dates and are refunding all the Perth fans' interstate tickets. So, there won't be many, but I'm hoping to get the jump on 2 :ph34r:, cause I missed the original pre sale