Guns N' Roses - Influential or the Final Masterpiece?

ags_rule

Something I've been thinking about recently...

Led Zeppelin. The Rolling Stones. Aerosmith. AC/DC. Black Sabbath. Metallica. Iron Maiden. The Beatles.

What do these bands have in common? They're all some of the most influential acts in rock/metal music.

But I question whether GNR were a truly influential act, or rather the final culmination of the nearly 30 years of rock music that had preceeded them, taking all the best parts from acts such as the above and melding them into the ultimate rock n' roll package.

Certainly in the aftermath of GNRs initial success, rather than a host of imitators, we were faced with a new breed of innovators, such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Since GNR, has there been any popular rock act who can lay claim to their style as a major influence? Or did they perfect a style that did not call for imitation or influence? Or were GNR simply unfashionable?

Just to say that I don't see it as a negative trait. I think it's one of the reasons why GNR remain such a big draw in rock music, particularly the old hits - because there hasn't been any band before or since that made music like that. The reasons why nobody imitated or was heavily influenced by GNR are more what I'm interested in.

Edited by ags_rule

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Crowes came along after GNR. They've been called "the most rock and roll, rock and roll band." I think they've carried along the tradition of rock and roll far more than GNR ever did. Great music, more albums, very good to their fans, long career.

GNR came along at the end of a stage in music, and a new stage began. That's how music tends to be. I wouldn't say they're too influential...

It's tough to emulate Axl's voice and Slash's riffs and solos; and do it in a way where you come up with your own classic songs. Instead you get Jack White: A musician who's good at aping an older style, but who fails when it comes to writing classic songs.

Edited by ITW 2012

Final masterpiece. Sad, if Nirvana hadn't come along, we'd still have good music today.

Or going down the other side of that street, maybe if Nirvana hadn't come along we'd still have trite cock rock.

Better than foo fighters

So out of 20 years worth of music, you pick one band you dislike to represent it all? cool story bro

Final masterpiece. Sad, if Nirvana hadn't come along, we'd still have good music today.

Or going down the other side of that street, maybe if Nirvana hadn't come along we'd still have trite cock rock.

Better than foo fighters

So out of 20 years worth of music, you pick one band you dislike to represent it all? cool story bro

I think his point was that he'd take cock rock over most of the shit Nirvana influenced.

Led Zeppelin. The Rolling Stones. Aerosmith. AC/DC. Black Sabbath. Metallica. Iron Maiden. The Beatles.

What do these bands have in common? They're all some of the most influential acts in rock/metal music.

But I question whether GNR were a truly influential act, or rather the final culmination of the nearly 30 years of rock music that had preceeded them, taking all the best parts from acts such as the above and melding them into the ultimate rock n' roll package.

Certainly in the aftermath of GNRs initial success, rather than a host of imitators, we were faced with a new breed of innovators, such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Since GNR, has there been any popular rock act who can lay claim to their style as a major influence? Or did they perfect a style that did not call for imitation or influence? Or were GNR simply unfashionable?

Just to say that I don't see it as a negative trait. I think it's one of the reasons why GNR remain such a big draw in rock music, particularly the old hits - because there hasn't been any band before or since that made music like that. The reasons why nobody imitated or was heavily influenced by GNR are more what I'm interested in.

I think it is more complex and you have to look beyond music to find an answer.

It's been downhill culturally ever since the end of the cold war, maybe this was the last time pop/rock music really had a connection with life and souls and something to say (and the original GN'R was a part of that) because a generation had something to say, they had hopes and fears.

When you look back each generation had their cultural ups and down but there was always progression and light at the end of the tunnel, so for art there was something to express, rebel against or reach out about.

Not for todays people in a world where equality just means being out of balance. Ever since 9/11 the western world is in a coma, lethargy, apathy. Our generation has lost hope and that is reflected in the music, in any form of expression.

Final masterpiece? If you search for that somewhere in the early 90's, the last time the western world was full of HOPE and CHANGE, then you might find songs like "Estranged" by GN'R ask yourself "Does it ever get any better than this?" - Twenty years later, the answer seems to be: "No, because we didn't even fucking try."

So with the CD project Axl kinda reminds me of Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest, like "at least I tried", must be tough with no chief in sight. They are out there but no new ideas in the house, every book has been read.

Great topic but I'd be more intrested in another question: Where do we go now?

I think it is more complex and you have to look beyond music to find an answer.

It's been downhill culturally ever since the end of the cold war, maybe this was the last time pop/rock music really had a connection with life and souls and something to say (and the original GN'R was a part of that) because a generation had something to say, they had hopes and fears.

When you look back each generation had their cultural ups and down but there was always progression and light at the end of the tunnel, so for art there was something to express, rebel against or reach out about.

Not for todays people in a world where equality just means being out of balance. Ever since 9/11 the western world is in a coma, lethargy, apathy. Our generation has lost hope and that is reflected in the music, in any form of expression.

Final masterpiece? If you search for that somewhere in the early 90's, the last time the western world was full of HOPE and CHANGE, then you might find songs like "Estranged" by GN'R ask yourself "Does it ever get any better than this?" - Twenty years later, the answer seems to be: "No, because we didn't even fucking try."

So with the CD project Axl kinda reminds me of Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cockoos Nest, like "at least I tried", must be tough with no chief in sight. They are out there but no new ideas in the house, every book has been read.

Great topic but I'd be more intrested in another question: Where do we go now?

We're all waiting for the world to implode so we can start over.

We're all waiting for the world to implode so we can start over.

We ARE the world. Use it or lose it.

Most of the great rock music has come out of the US and the UK, and both are nations in severe decline. Maybe we'd get some good new original music if people started to push back against the State controlled fear society that sprung up after 9/11.

Most of the great rock music has come out of the US and the UK, and both are nations in severe decline. Maybe we'd get some good new original music if people started to push back against the State controlled fear society that sprung up after 9/11.

Or maybe we just peaked already, as a culture.

Or maybe we just peaked already, as a culture.

Possibly, or maybe we just quit trying. Perhaps the next generation of great musicians all became gamers and slackers instead. We haven't really had a legendary band come along since the 90's after all.

Edited by ITW 2012

Few bands are truly innovative. Musicians are simply a product of their influences. Just as GN'R combined elements from many different classic rock bands, Nirvana was basically the Pixies with a poppier sound and Pearl Jam were 70's hard rock with some punk influences. The difference is that GN'R's influences were more mainstream and therefore more obvious to the average fan.

I think the internet has a small role in it as well. When I was a teen, we'd wait til weekend to watch Headbangers Ball. Our music news came from hit parader and circus, which came out once a month. You'd save ur allowance for a new album to come out. There was anticipation. Excitement build up. There was mystery. Maybe some weird guy at the music store would come up with a live bootleg. A new album was like waiting for christmas. NOW???? You can be told "hey, I'm really digging this band" and instead of the old process of finding out about them.....within 30 minutes on the internet u can download all their songs, watch youtube videos or numerous live performances, you can read about their entire life history. In the past u wouldn't get every detail about the members of the band. U didn't have guys going on celebrity rehab or having reality shows.

Rock stars were truly rock stars, because we didn't know every detail about their entire life. Look at Ozzy. Before we knew him as the Price of Darkness. A mad man who could drink or do mountains of drugs like no other. Who would bite the heads off of live animals. But after watching his reality show, didn't your vision of Ozzy change?

When I was a teen, new albums and singles were an event. Something to be excited about. Today? We get leaked copies of entire albums months or years before the album comes out. There is no mystery any more.

I remember when CDs became popular. It was painful financially to switch over. To replace your music collection. To have a CD ruined and then decide to replace it or buy a new cd coming out by another band. Using your hard earned money to buy a CD meant that purchased music had a "value" to you. You earned that CD. Today? I can go download any cd for free. So there isn't the same personal investment into music today as there used to be. Another example. I can remember buying a bootleg live cd for 36 bucks back in the day. This was maybe 15 years ago, so picture 50 bucks now. That cd had meaning to me. And my friends listened and thought it was bad-ass, as they didn't know it existed. Today????? Thirty seconds on youtube and u can see 50 live performances of every song every band has ever done. Think of the old pictures of an entire family gathering around the radio to listen to elvis or the beatles perform. When is the last time you and your family did that?

Not the entire problem. But imo it is part of the reason.

Rock and Roll belongs in a museum. Maybe that's why Axl is dressed up like Indy these days.

Short Round: What is Chinese Democracy?

Indy: Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Short Round: Dr. Jones, no time for Chinese Democracy. We've got company.

Edited by ITW 2012