Do we really want leaks?

Vincent Vega

Let's think rationally here for a second:

Part of the chilly reception to CD here on the boards was because many of us had heard the material already through leaks and whatnot. It spoiled the album for a lot of people, and led to people feeling underwhelmed. ...

Well ya have to look more deeply at the ''whatnot'' above. What's left out here is the huge gap between the leaks coming out, which did caused media attention fueled by illegal radio plays, and 11/23/08. Such a gap, even more tracks heard later, then the realization the vocals and album tracks were basically the same upon myspace stream, all that made interest wane and sales suffered.

Now leak 2-3 wicked demo tracks 2 weeks before release and see the difference.

Btw always remember the album is fantastic regardless of how it sold. I have TWAT blaring right now!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I listen to every leak I could get my ears on for years? Yes. It was more exciting than the actual album release, because as has been mentioned, none of us really thought it was ever coming. Did it spoil my first listen? Partially, I managed to resist downloading Scraped when it leaked three weeks prior to the release and it blew me away upon first listen. Considering how overproduced the final versions were, I'd embrace new leaks. The first Catcher In The Rye leak pisses all over the album version.

leaks do hurt album sales.

if I hear a leaked album and don't like it, I won't buy it. When I was growing up, you bought the album off a single, word of mouth, radio, magazine review, artist rep - and well if you didn't like it once you bought it.......*shrugs*, you were sol.

this idea that leaks and the net don't hurt album sales is silly.

your silly. leaks don't hurt album sales, it's a lack of PR and frankly bad music that hurt album sales. You can go into HMV and listen to any album you want prior to buying it. If you choose not to purchase it, that's your right. Afterall it's your money and your power.

Let's think rationally here for a second:

Part of the chilly reception to CD here on the boards was because many of us had heard the material already through leaks and whatnot. It spoiled the album for a lot of people, and led to people feeling underwhelmed. Do we really want that again? Do we really want any awesome surprises to be spoiled again? Because if MSL leaks the next album, it will spoil it for those who listen and then the same cycle of bitching and moaning about how "CD II" isn't enough because we've heard the material already will just happen again...Just like last time.

Also, Axl in his chats and interview expressed how the leaks harmed their plans and were a pain in the ass...and we're supposed to be fans. I realize there's a chance that if the material DOESN'T leak, we won't hear it for another twenty years...But I think the question comes down to that of a matter of loyalty, respect and/or faith in Axl.

I beg to differ on your opening line. The chilly reception was a result of several factors- the least is that people had heard the leaks! If anything the leaks reignited a curiosity that had long been waned by time, age and the belief that the band had broken up in the 90's with nothing but rumour and innuendo to keep the spark alive.

The chilly Reception was:

Vast amounts of time passed

It wasnt for all intents and purposes "GNR" -didnt act sound or feel like classic GNR especially to a vast amount of people of the original fanbase.

No band/fanbase interaction.

No band writeups..no Axl interviews.. who here has seen an official band picture of 2001/2002 line up? Or 2009/2010?

NO PROMOTION from powers that be including and least of AXL himself... Best Buy was a bust and promotion was zilch to nothing and now at my local BB its marked 7.99

Burned out people that had believed every release date possible and been disappointed when it wasnt delivered

VMA's ..says one says all

But mainly... NOT A SINGLE SONG is 'ICONIC" ..some are good... some are great but most willnever ever be up there with the classics.

Also.. what the fuck was the 2002 tour? Mix Master Mike and Cky???? then crash and burn in Philidelphia???

By then .. most of the hardcore GNR fans from 80's 90's had mortgages,kids, jobs and life wasnt free and easy like it was in high school and college

Edited by rockerman

I wouldn't mind a song or two. Not nearly the whole album like the last time, but to be honest, we never know if they're even going to release another full album. With that, I'll take my chances with spoiling a few songs, because I don't even believe in God without proof, and Axl Rose is not God.

As I've said a billion times, no. I was like everyone else the first time it happened. I downloaded them instantly and listened to them over and over again. I did so because I truly never expected CD to see the light of day and figured this was the only way I'd ever get to hear them. But when the record officially came out and I was listening to it, 80% of the experience was anti-climatic. From that moment forward, I vowed to never listen to leaks again from ANY band.

I'll wait for the real thing and enjoy it fresh. Listening to leaks is like knowing what you're going to get for Christmas. Some kids were into that whole thing but I never wanted to know because the surprise was have the fun.

agreed

No leaks for me thank you. But if there is something from the mid 90's, yes.

As I've said a billion times, no. I was like everyone else the first time it happened. I downloaded them instantly and listened to them over and over again. I did so because I truly never expected CD to see the light of day and figured this was the only way I'd ever get to hear them. But when the record officially came out and I was listening to it, 80% of the experience was anti-climatic. From that moment forward, I vowed to never listen to leaks again from ANY band.

I'll wait for the real thing and enjoy it fresh. Listening to leaks is like knowing what you're going to get for Christmas. Some kids were into that whole thing but I never wanted to know because the surprise was have the fun.

This.