Do we really want leaks?

Vincent Vega

Let's think rationally here for a second:

Part of the chilly reception to CD here on the boards was because many of us had heard the material already through leaks and whatnot. It spoiled the album for a lot of people, and led to people feeling underwhelmed. Do we really want that again? Do we really want any awesome surprises to be spoiled again? Because if MSL leaks the next album, it will spoil it for those who listen and then the same cycle of bitching and moaning about how "CD II" isn't enough because we've heard the material already will just happen again...Just like last time.

Also, Axl in his chats and interview expressed how the leaks harmed their plans and were a pain in the ass...and we're supposed to be fans. I realize there's a chance that if the material DOESN'T leak, we won't hear it for another twenty years...But I think the question comes down to that of a matter of loyalty, respect and/or faith in Axl.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. :shrugs:

If it turns out that some GNR activity is on the horizon (a new album, a multipack rerelase of CD or whatever) I'm not going to listen to them immediately, but if nothing happens, it's good to have 'em. With this band, nobody knows if anything is going to happen some time soon, so it's better to have leaks than nothing at all.

If it turns out that some GNR activity is on the horizon (a new album, a multipack rerelase of CD or whatever) I'm not going to listen to them immediately, but if nothing happens, it's good to have 'em. With this band, nobody knows if anything is going to happen some time soon, so it's better to have leaks than nothing at all.

I can understand that perspective, believe me I'm tempted to...But wouldn't it just lead Axl to feel that he has a bunch of selfish, disloyal dicks as fans and why should he do anything for them?

There's a few factors IMO, at least for me personally:

Time of leaks - This is the big one. I don't want to see a leak if we can see the light at the end of the tunnel for a new release. If there's a release date, or some other form of indisputable evidence that an album will drop and nothing can stop it, let the leaks be, everyone will hear everything soon enough anyways. This situation would be in line with when the full album finally leaked a few weeks before the release date. On the other hand, I think it can actually be beneficial in a much earlier stage. If tracks get leaked in one of the "dark times", it can create a lot of buzz. Even if a fair number of people out there don't like the music, it's still publicity. I'd align this situation with the '06 leaks.

What is being leaked - What exactly is getting leaked to us? I'm not particularly excited to hear a finished product get leaked, it ruins the album to an extent. For example, any of the '08 leaks were too polished for leaks for my liking. However, the '06 leaks, as well as the first Maddy leak were nice little tasters. Those earlier, rougher demos just gave a preview of what was to come. Had it not been for the subsequent leaks of IRS, Better, TWAT, CITR, and Maddy, I think I would have been blown away hearing those songs on the album.

I had the priviledge to become a GN'R fan about 2 months before CD was released. I didn't know anything about the leaks or the messageboards at that time. I was still listening to Greatest Hits on repeat.

One day I just went to Brian May's website and saw that there was a release date for GN'Rs new album. I made a Myspace account just to be able to hear it when it came out. Then I listened to it it a couple of times in a row. It was all fresh amazing new music to me. Looking back I kinda see how listening to the leaks could have spoiled the whole experience for me.

I don't want leaks. I want to hear it in the official way.

NO!

YES!

NO!

YES!

NO!

I don't know....

Just little parts ....

But if we have to wait a long time for new music, say 14 years or so :rolleyes: , than leak away in a couple of years!

Edited by MBRose

I had the priviledge to become a GN'R fan about 2 months before CD was released. I didn't know anything about the leaks or the messageboards at that time. I was still listening to Greatest Hits on repeat.

One day I just went to Brian May's website and saw that there was a release date for GN'Rs new album. I made a Myspace account just to be able to hear it when it came out. Then I listened to it it a couple of times in a row. It was all fresh amazing new music to me. Looking back I kinda see how listening to the leaks could have spoiled the whole experience for me.

You have no idea what it was like for someone like myself who stuck with the band from the time of AFD to the long silence that followed the disintegration of the original line-up. Without the leaks, it is highly likely CD never would have been released. The potential for new leaks may be the only way to get anything else out of this band.

One thing the "I don't listen to leaks" people leave out.....I got to enjoy various copies of The Blues for seven years more than you did. So you might have had more excitement the first time u plopped in the new CD....but I already had 10000 listens to The Blues.

For a normal band, I would not want to hear every leak. But when we know it could be 10 more years before an album is released, its hard to say no.

And we aren't "dickhead" fans like the OP rudely says. We are "diehard" fans of Axl Rose and we are CRAVING new music.

You have no idea what it was like for someone like myself who stuck with the band from the time of AFD to the long silence that followed the disintegration of the original line-up. Without the leaks, it is highly likely CD never would have been released. The potential for new leaks may be the only way to get anything else out of this band.

Yeah that is a very fair point of view. Can't really blame anyone for listening to the leaks since everything about Guns is so vague and uncertain.

I can understand that perspective, believe me I'm tempted to...But wouldn't it just lead Axl to feel that he has a bunch of selfish, disloyal dicks as fans and why should he do anything for them?

No, it would lead to a standoff between the selfish, disloyal dick fans and the selfish, disloyal dick Axl Rose. How dare we crave more than 1 album in 15 years!!!

There's a few factors IMO, at least for me personally:

Time of leaks - This is the big one. I don't want to see a leak if we can see the light at the end of the tunnel for a new release. If there's a release date, or some other form of indisputable evidence that an album will drop and nothing can stop it, let the leaks be, everyone will hear everything soon enough anyways. This situation would be in line with when the full album finally leaked a few weeks before the release date. On the other hand, I think it can actually be beneficial in a much earlier stage. If tracks get leaked in one of the "dark times", it can create a lot of buzz. Even if a fair number of people out there don't like the music, it's still publicity. I'd align this situation with the '06 leaks.

What is being leaked - What exactly is getting leaked to us? I'm not particularly excited to hear a finished product get leaked, it ruins the album to an extent. For example, any of the '08 leaks were too polished for leaks for my liking. However, the '06 leaks, as well as the first Maddy leak were nice little tasters. Those earlier, rougher demos just gave a preview of what was to come. Had it not been for the subsequent leaks of IRS, Better, TWAT, CITR, and Maddy, I think I would have been blown away hearing those songs on the album.

This. Totally agree. I like to hear how a song develops by having an earlier version and then purchasing he finished version. I also turned people on with the buzz of the leaks which ended up adding a few sales from people I know would not have otherwise bought CD and of course, specifically with GNR you may have to rely on these things to keep you going through the vast spaces when there is nothing going on and NO information available.