Guitarists that can match up to Bucket?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guthrie Govan shits on Bucket ( technically speaking ) at any hour of the day with one hand tied in the back.

Figure 6 in the above video is equally as technical as anything Guthrie/Bumble has ever done.

Easy to say, I don't see it. Same patterns? Please show us an example of Bucket re-using a pattern.

He does re-use licks, as do all guitarists. However, although some people here would like to have you believe, his playing style is by no means based on these "signature" patterns.

ron may have a unique style; his choice of taping, thimbles, notes and the way in which he applies these techniques to his music may be extremely difficult to replicate, but these things do not necessarily translate into a pleasant sounding solo or riff.

this is exemplified if you compare the two's work on CD: TWAT solo to Riad and the Bedouins solo for example. one is genius, one is nonsense. now, i don't know which of the two solos is more 'technical' or which requires a more extensive array of guitar knowledge to conceive and play, but i do know which one sounds better, and thats bucket.

bucket sounds better to me, i love his work, and he has more charisma on stage. ron has an 'every man' type quality to him, which is endearing, but bucket is larger than life. hes a like an alien entity or foreign life form on stage.

thats why i would prefer it if bucket were in guns; hes a rock deity, an eccentric one obviously, but a rock deity all the same. the same i do not think can be said of ron. which is not necessarily a bad thing, ron is a lovely man, and if i could have my way i would have bucket on lead and ron on rhythm. however, if you're looking for the man that could've replaced slash, bucket was the one.

Edited by Atlas Shrugged

2)Bumblefoot is ( way ) more technical : FACT.

How did you measure and quantify this FACT? and what does it mean anyway.

I...don't think I understand your question...

John Petrucci is more technical than Kurt Cobain. This is a fact. Do I really need to go into details and explain why ? ^^'

Same applies for Bucket and Bumble.

Bumble sometimes uses very unusual time signatures, sometimes time signatures that are completely different between left and right hand ( which is very disturbing ), his choices of notes are very unusual too, he plays microtonal stuff on the fretless, his use of the thimble is very difficult because he often mixes it with chicken picking ( good luck on playing with your fingers, your pick and your thimble at the same time while doing tapping with the left hand...and singing ), he never re-uses any pattern ( while Bucket's music is really full of it ), and, well, he's a fast motherfucker...

On the other hand Buckethead signature techniques : killswitch and 3 finger tapping. They are..mmh...let's say, not really hard to master...He has very distinctive patterns with both of these techniques but even though they sound impressive, they don't really require much work. Just Youtube "chromatic tapping" on Youtube for Buckethead's best known technique, pick up your guitar, do the lesson, and I'll bet that 3 hours from now you'll be playing chromatic tapping better than Bucket himself because, as I said, it's very easy. . .

To put it simply, after ten years of guitar, I'm able to play some of Bucket's average stuff but I just know that Bumblefoot's average stuff is completely out of reach for me and will probably remain so...

Buckethead may play his popular styles often but that doesn't mean he's "full of it".

At the end of the day Buckethead is more interesting and entertaining. His songs are better and his complex playing style is a lot more fun to listen to. That chromatic tapping fun to listen and he's pretty much the only person that comes to mind for that. That's the sole Buckethead support you mention. You don't address Ron's facility of guitar sweeps on acoustic which isn't that hard if you play fingerstyle to begin with.

And take Strangles. That song's complex but would I really listen to it if I wasn't a guitar nerd. Not really. I'll take Buckethead's songs any day. Two different time signatures? Not really that impossible for someone that plays bass and treble on the keys. Fretless guitar? I'm sure if Buckethead put his mind to it he could master that guitar but what are people favorite fretless guitar songs? I can't think of a single one. Even a banjo sounds more fun. Where's Buckethead's mastery of the tremolo bar? No one cares.

The John Petrucci vs. Kurt Cobain analogy. Oh my.

Watch any live version of Soothsayer. All he really does for that once beautiful solo is repeat patterns live.

Oh my god, this is really laughable.... So the whole near nine minute song is just "repeating patterns" to you? I heard him use a similar lick about 3 times, and that was to build up the solo. That is your argument? Good lord, stop the press, this just in, a guitarist CANNOT use a similar lick more than once if he wants to be better than Bumble!!!

I must be the only one who likes Bukmle's solos on Shackler and Riad. I actually thought the Shackler one was Bucket, but since I heard studio version of Riad I've loved that solo, it's the best solo on album. Bucket is genius but Ron is underated. If Ron, Dj or Fort bow out I wouldn't say no to Justin Hawkins from The Darkness (Hot Leg) coming in.

I must be the only one who likes Bukmle's solos on Shackler and Riad. I actually thought the Shackler one was Bucket, but since I heard studio version of Riad I've loved that solo, it's the best solo on album. Bucket is genius but Ron is underated. If Ron, Dj or Fort bow out I wouldn't say no to Justin Hawkins from The Darkness (Hot Leg) coming in.

See, i respect your opinion, because you posted in a diplomatic manner. Not like some people hear who have to piss on others because their fan boy idol doesn't get praised.

but since I heard studio version of Riad I've loved that solo, it's the best solo on album.

This is a joke right?

Hands down the lowest point on the album, even worse than Finck's abortion of a solo on TIL.

Watch any live version of Soothsayer. All he really does for that once beautiful solo is repeat patterns live.

Oh my god, this is really laughable.... So the whole near nine minute song is just "repeating patterns" to you? I heard him use a similar lick about 3 times, and that was to build up the solo. That is your argument? Good lord, stop the press, this just in, a guitarist CANNOT use a similar lick more than once if he wants to be better than Bumble!!!

:rofl-lol:

Edited by ashysdad

the shackler's solo is nice, but i'd be willing to wager that if there were a bucket solo for the song it would not only compliment the song more, it'd be more pleasant to listen to. riad on the other hand, well, rons riad solo is terrible imo. it sounds as if it were just plonked on top of the song, irrespective of theme or its overall contribution to the song itself. its sounds as if axl simply said " ron, play something only shred enthusiasts can appreciate, then when you think you've nailed it, embellish even more and make it ridiculous."

now, bucket may shred, but he does so in such a way that its melodic and serves the song, rather than leaping out of it and screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME IM DOING CRAZY SHIT WITH THE GUITAR, I AM STRUMMING IT WITH A FUCKING XYLOPHONE"

Edited by Atlas Shrugged

but since I heard studio version of Riad I've loved that solo, it's the best solo on album.

This is a joke right?

Hands down the lowest point on the album, even worse than Finck's abortion of a solo on TIL.

Are you honestly trying to say someone's opinion is wrong because it's not Bucket playing it? Young_Gun has the right idea. You're just ignorant.

Not what I meant at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqh5SNUwzc8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4:28-4:47

A full 19 seconds of Bucket repeating patterens.

The Riad solo is just something fresh or orginal, something that made me sit up and listen. It's completely off the wall but it works, it's where the song had to go. Same with Shacklers solo to lesser extent, I don't think a feel blues solo would fit the songs. Obviously the solos in TWAT are awesome the way it's all put together.

the shackler's solo is nice, but i'd be willing to wager that if there were a bucket solo for the song it would not only compliment the song more, it'd be more pleasant to listen to. riad on the other hand, well, rons riad solo is terrible imo. it sounds as if it were just plonked on top of the song, irrespective of theme or its overall contribution to the song itself. its sounds as if axl simply said " ron, play something only shred enthusiasts can appreciate, then when you think you've nailed it, embellish even more and make it ridiculous."

now, bucket may shred, but he does so in such a way that its melodic and serves the song, rather than leaping out of it and screaming "HEY LOOK AT ME IM DOING CRAZY SHIT WITH THE GUITAR, I AM STRUMMING IT WITH A FUCKING XYLOPHONE"

I feel it captures the insanity of the song, like it gets to that point and it's so wound up that it has to go there. I hadn't actually thought if it was difficult to play or not because I don't know. I enjoy that it's not a cliche this is GNR so solos should be soaked in whiskey. There's no law say you have to like it, I do though, it seems to work within the context of the song.

Not what I meant at all.

I'm trying to see what you mean, but i do think you are exaggerating. The guy is shredding through a scale, he obviously maintains the same speed for most of it but is moving around the neck hitting different notes. I hardly see how that is "repeating a pattern". If he was playing the same lick(like a blues lick for example) in the same spot over and over, i could see what you mean. I've seen videos of Bumble shredding in the same "box" for a while too, every guitarist does it.

Not what I meant at all.

I'm trying to see what you mean, but i do think you are exaggerating. The guy is shredding through a scale, he obviously maintains the same speed for most of it but is moving around the neck hitting different notes. I hardly see how that is "repeating a pattern". If he was playing the same lick(like a blues lick for example) in the same spot over and over, i could see what you mean. I've seen videos of Bumble shredding in the same "box" for a while too, every guitarist does it.

Every guitarist does it once in a while, but just keep watching that vid and Bucket does it many, many times. Much more than he should.

Not what I meant at all.

Every guitarist does it once in a while, but just keep watching that vid and Bucket does it many, many times. Much more than he should.

I can kind of see what you mean. I do think however, that using that as a basis of who is better, is similar to crucifying someone because they don't use a whammy bar often, or that they use pinch harmonics too much. Regardless, Ron is does not shy away from this either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KXeGL5Mzs

I really like this song too, but there are repetitions throughout.

Not what I meant at all.

I can kind of see what you mean. I do think however, that using that as a basis of who is better, is similar to crucifying someone because they don't use a whammy bar often, or that they use pinch harmonics too much. Regardless, Ron is does not shy away from this either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KXeGL5Mzs

I really like this song too, but there are repetitions throughout.

Yea. I love that song, and love Bucket as well.

BTW, I have gone on the record in saying that song sounds like a Bucket song lol.

See, CDLove, The Glow Inc.? They don't know what they're talking about and yet they pretend they're right. Some of them don't even know how repetitive Bucket is, even though he's really creative... they even try to argue over a fact. Well, they try to argue over several facts. Young gun even thought that the reason that made Ron improvise most of Bucket's solo in 2006 was because he didn't have transcriptions. Really? The guy can transcribe his most insane pieace of music and yet can't transcribe Bucket's patterns. This is stupid, I don't even know why I'm here posting and everytime I post here discussing this whole subject I feel more idiot.

Regarding the "Bucket's solos were praised by everyone here" thing, let me be happy that GNR camp ain't that blind about this subject. They don't think that Bucket is the be all and end all of guitar playing because he left the band and act like if Ron's a unknown guy that does thimble licks and play a fretless instrument.

These guys' ignorance is encyclopedic, I'm fighting against a wall of ignorance and stupid arguments.

Funny fact: Ron couldn't play Bucket's solo note for note before because he wasn't technically as good; now that these cupcakes are proven wrong, he didn't play them note for note before because he didn't have Bucket's transcriptions :rofl-lol: what's next? Ron probably got hold of Slash's transcriptions and this is the reason that made him play some of the older solos note for note or at least closer to the original? :lol:

See, CDLove, The Glow Inc.? They don't know what they're talking about and yet they pretend they're right. Some of them don't even know how repetitive Bucket is, even though he's really creative... they even try to argue over a fact. Well, they try to argue over several facts. Young gun even thought that the reason that made Ron improvise most of Bucket's solo in 2006 was because he didn't have transcriptions. Really? The guy can transcribe his most insane pieace of music and yet can't transcribe Bucket's patterns. This is stupid, I don't even know why I'm here posting and everytime I post here discussing this whole subject I feel more idiot.

Regarding the "Bucket's solos were praised by everyone here" thing, let me be happy that GNR camp ain't that blind about this subject. They don't think that Bucket is the be all and end all of guitar playing because he left the band and act like if Ron's a unknown guy that does thimble licks and play a fretless instrument.

These guys' ignorance is encyclopedic, I'm fighting against a wall of ignorance and stupid arguments.

Funny fact: Ron couldn't play Bucket's solo note for note before because he wasn't technically as good; now that these cupcakes are proven wrong, he didn't play them note for note before because he didn't have Bucket's transcriptions :rofl-lol: what's next? Ron probably got hold of Slash's transcriptions and this is the reason that made him play some of the older solos note for note or at least closer to the original? :lol:

It's impossible to decipher what you mean, no offense.

Which ever way you look at, all 3 of the guys have been great in GN'R.

I like the Riad solo too, and I know it's not a widely held view. It may be because of the song itself though? Riad is my favorite CD song (which isn't a widely held view either :lol:). And it's strange because I'm usually a big Buckethead suporter, but this is the one place where I prefer Ron. I've heard the demo and found the solo kinda boring.

It's impossible to decipher what you mean, no offense.

Which ever way you look at, all 3 of the guys have been great in GN'R.

Slash's had the most soul - smooth too.

BF - all over the shop. horrible

Buckethead - Great take on a great theme :thumbsup: