chinese democracy re-release... who's going to pay for it?

cancerface

who would pay for costs associated with reprinting and rereleasing the album? does axl expect the record company to do it? or is that something axl would have to pay for himself? it seems like that would be a very costly endeavor.

i honestly couldn't see a record company -- especially in this day and age -- agreeing to fund a massive re-release of an album that was only released a couple of years ago. especially when there are still so many unsold copies in circulation anyways. it just doesn't seem financially beneficial of them to spend all that money to get new liner notes out there.

do you think the new liner notes and another release of the album is important enough to axl that he would pay for it out of his own pocket? does anyone know how much that costs? how many shows/tours would it take to raise the money to do a proper re-release?

unless theirs a good monumental promotional campaign in place, I don't see it happening (not that I wouldn't want it to happen, Im LOVING the alt artwork).

A re-release of CD will be with some bonus tracks.

One can only hope.

Didn't Axl pay for the album's funding for the later years?

If a re-release was on the horzion I would like to think that both Axl and the record company could come to an understanding about marketing CD.5 correctly.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

If a re-release was on the horzion I would like to think that both Axl and the record company could come to an understanding about marketing CD.5 correctly.

This a is key point. If there aren't schemes in place to ensure a re-release reaches its fullest potential then Axl and co. shouldn't bother. A re-release will do nothing on its own (much like the initial album).

This a is key point. If there aren't schemes in place to ensure a re-release reaches its fullest potential then Axl and co. shouldn't bother. A re-release will do nothing on its own (much like the initial album).

I don't think the band will re-release CD but I don't think there is anything new to offer at the moment either.

okay, i can understand why people around here would want bonus tracks, extra discs, live stuff, and making of DVD's. but all this stuff costs money to make before it can be sold. who do you think is going to be fronting all that money? frankly, it seems kinda delusional to me to expect a record company to once again front tons of money for another chapter in the chinese democracy saga, as it hasn't exactly been one of their most successful ventures. i do not think they'd be ready to fork over more money to re release the album with new liner notes. and i think they'd be even less likely to fork over more money to make a documentary DVD or any other extra feature that would mean the world to all the people on the forum, but probably wouldn't be of equal interest to the general record buying public.

so do you think axl believes in the new liner notes enough to front the costs out of pocket? that would be a very rock star thing to do. sink or swim, he did it his way. but that would take a lot of money to do. even by axl rose standards. everyone can record and produce albums at their homes now. but physical reproduction and distribution is still expensive.

okay, i can understand why people around here would want bonus tracks, extra discs, live stuff, and making of DVD's. but all this stuff costs money to make before it can be sold. who do you think is going to be fronting all that money? frankly, it seems kinda delusional to me to expect a record company to once again front tons of money for another chapter in the chinese democracy saga, as it hasn't exactly been one of their most successful ventures. i do not think they'd be ready to fork over more money to re release the album with new liner notes. and i think they'd be even less likely to fork over more money to make a documentary DVD or any other extra feature that would mean the world to all the people on the forum, but probably wouldn't be of equal interest to the general record buying public.

so do you think axl believes in the new liner notes enough to front the costs out of pocket? that would be a very rock star thing to do. sink or swim, he did it his way. but that would take a lot of money to do. even by axl rose standards. everyone can record and produce albums at their homes now. but physical reproduction and distribution is still expensive.

They got their money back with the best buy deal, they're in the profit... the album sold VERY well worldwide, it was a worldwide hit. There is no reason to think they wouldn't back a 2nd album and or a re-release. If that was the case they'd probably release GN'R from their contract, which wont happen, there might not be as much money to be made as back in the day... but financially GN'R are still a going concern.

Axl believed that the company would get it right the first time. The reason for a re-release would be, in part, to get right some of the stuff that was wrong in the first place. Why would he trust them to get it right this time if they botched it the first go? From this perspective, it's easy to see a long stale-mate over the details of something like this, eventually leading to it not happening. I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a version with different art-work, a booklet without flaws, extra tracks, live DVD's all that jive....getting it done? *ponder*ponder*

i wonder if this re release may be holding up the US tour, the whole year before chinese d came out they were "in discussion" with the record label on releasing the album, axl may be in talks with the record company for the re release to concide with the us tour, hopefully the record company and axl can work out something

stupid, stupid, stupid thread.

yeah, you're right. if their label is stupid enough to pass up on the opportunity to do the whole chinese democracy thing again, then i'm sure all the other record companies will be chomping at the bit. especially with all the extra money they've got to throw around these days.

so when do you expect the new and improved liner notes to hit the shelves?

who would pay for costs associated with reprinting and rereleasing the album? does axl expect the record company to do it? or is that something axl would have to pay for himself? it seems like that would be a very costly endeavor.

i honestly couldn't see a record company -- especially in this day and age -- agreeing to fund a massive re-release of an album that was only released a couple of years ago. especially when there are still so many unsold copies in circulation anyways. it just doesn't seem financially beneficial of them to spend all that money to get new liner notes out there.

do you think the new liner notes and another release of the album is important enough to axl that he would pay for it out of his own pocket? does anyone know how much that costs? how many shows/tours would it take to raise the money to do a proper re-release?

Record company would print it out - all that it would mean is going to the factory and having them insert the sleeves for the next batch of discs. Country to country, the covers have slight changes. There's one I saw in a store with an advisory right on the cover, not a sticker, either. Not sure what country they got it from.

Or you can just print them out yourself and make your own book up.

It only costs money when they've printed up 100K and over CDs and have to destroy them because mistakes were made. The collectors try to snatch those up somehow.

He could make a booklet up and sell them at the shows without having the record company logo on there. There's nothing stopping him from putting a booklet out that happens to fit in a CD case.

stupid, stupid, stupid thread.

yeah, you're right. if their label is stupid enough to pass up on the opportunity to do the whole chinese democracy thing again, then i'm sure all the other record companies will be chomping at the bit. especially with all the extra money they've got to throw around these days.

so when do you expect the new and improved liner notes to hit the shelves?

Sarcasm fail