Article on Gnr from 2002-2010 I've never seen before

Guest Gunns

Guest gunns5

http://completetopcelebrity.onsugar.com/search/Drummer+Jacket

Read it, very cool!

excerpts

In January 2005, Axl Rose announced he had moved GN'R's song publishing business to Sanctuary Records, a recent contender for Industry Heavy status. Sanctuary executive Merck Mercuriades was also managing Guns, since Doug Goldstein had resigned or been fired by Axl for reasons unknown. Eight months later, Slash and Duff McKagan sued Axl after they stopped receiving royalty payments from Guns N' Roses. Axl's lawyers claimed it was all a mistake, and Axl countersued Slash.

why only slash and not duff? :question:

But the rest of the month went well, despite some sparse crowds at smaller venues, and the band played a letter-perfect show at sold-out Madison Square Garden in New York on December 5. Afterward, Axl went out with an entourage, but he was rudely turned away from ultra-chic, model-ridden nightclub Spa because he was wearing a fur jacket and the club had a strict no-fur policy. Humiliated, mad as hell, he stormed back to his hotel.

Instead of playing in Philadelphia the next day, he stayed in and watched a basketball game on television. After both opening bands had played, with Axl still in Manhattan, the Philadelphia show was canceled at eleven P.M. Chairs flew through the air. Trash fires were set. The riot cops arrived. The rest of the tour was canceled by the promoter.

The tour was undertaken to raise cash to finish the album and keep the band alive, since their label refused to renegotiate or discuss marketing and video treatments until they had the master tapes of Chinese Democracy in hand
Edited by gunns5

'The tour was undertaken to raise cash to finish the album and keep the band alive'

If that's true, they sounded on verge of being f-cked.

Eight months later, Slash and Duff McKagan sued Axl after they stopped receiving royalty payments from Guns N' Roses. Axl's lawyers claimed it was all a mistake.

Maybe it was no mistake. Maybe Axl needed to money to keep going.

Is this chronologically correct?

In 2000, Sean Bevan quit trying to produce Chinese Democracy. Interscope got Axl to agree on Roy Thomas Baker, who had produced Queen's major albums. Baker had Guns rerecord everything of any significance with a new drummer, Brian Mantia, formerly of Primus. Then Axl hired Buckethead, the shy, virtuoso metal guitarist who appeared in public wearing a plastic mask and a commercial fried chicken bucket on his head. Axl had this version of Guns N' Roses re-record the tracks they had done for producer Baker.

"They finished the tour at London's Wembley Arena, with Weezer opening, completely sold out. Uncle Axl told the audience that Guns had two new albums, ready to go. He ranted for a while and then asked Tommy Stinson if his remarks qualified as a rant. Then he felt too sick to continue, so Sebastian Bach took his place for "Nightrain" and "Paradise City" and finished the show."

Axl getting sick and beeing replaced by Bach happened in 2006, not 2002

"They finished the tour at London's Wembley Arena, with Weezer opening, completely sold out. Uncle Axl told the audience that Guns had two new albums, ready to go. He ranted for a while and then asked Tommy Stinson if his remarks qualified as a rant. Then he felt too sick to continue, so Sebastian Bach took his place for "Nightrain" and "Paradise City" and finished the show."

Axl getting sick and beeing replaced by Bach happened in 2006, not 2002

Yeah, saw this too. Baz and axl didn't Speak till 06 i believe?

It's taken from the "Watch You Bleed" book - it's a piece of shit...at least Mick Wall's book on Axl got the chronology correct.

I enjoyed Watch You Bleed. It really got me into the band again, and I'm yet to discover that these "inaccuracies" are such a big deal.

"Guns N' Roses of the twenty-first century played a week of blazing shows in New York in May 2005—intense theater-size concerts that were hailed by both critics and fans."

Uh I think I missed the memo on that one... cause I was at all the Hammerstein shows in 2006... not 2005..

This article while amusing is so full of chronological errors you simply can't take any of it seriously or as fact. PERIOD

What I find odd is that most reviews from 2002 talk about how awesome and powerful Axl sounded. Powerful isn't really the word I'd use to describe his voice in 2002. But most professional reviews have a lot of positive comments in regards to his voice. Seems like a pretty big disconnect there.

Is this chronologically correct?

In 2000, Sean Bevan quit trying to produce Chinese Democracy. Interscope got Axl to agree on Roy Thomas Baker, who had produced Queen's major albums. Baker had Guns rerecord everything of any significance with a new drummer, Brian Mantia, formerly of Primus. Then Axl hired Buckethead, the shy, virtuoso metal guitarist who appeared in public wearing a plastic mask and a commercial fried chicken bucket on his head. Axl had this version of Guns N' Roses re-record the tracks they had done for producer Baker.

No, Bucket was hired Christmas 1999. Axl had been courting him for some time to join Guns, and gave him a rare Leatherface doll which Bucket had wanted badly that Christmas Eve, which sealed the deal.

Baker came on board in 2000 or 2001 yes, but he didn't last long from what I've heard.

Timeline of producers:

1996-early 1997: Mike Clink works with the early concepts of what would eventually become CD

February-April/May 1997: Moby works with the band as producer (he stayed on board for around 6 months indirectly)

1997-1998: Steve Lillywite, Scott Litt, Mark Bell, Jay Baumgardner and Robbie Jacobs are all considered but either are rejected or turn down the offer.

Spring-September 1998: Youth and Critter work as co-producers on CD. Youth stays on a few months and gets Axl to sing again (Axl hadn't sung in 18 months prior). Critter leaves very rapidly, frustrated. Youth leaves or is quit after a few months as well after he asks Axl to focus; Axl feels Youth is pushing him too fast.

September 1998: Sean Beavan is hired, and remains the producer for the next two years, quitting in Spring 2000 over frustration with the lack of progress.

Edited by Count Drugcula

But the rest of the month went well, despite some sparse crowds at smaller venues, and the band played a letter-perfect show at sold-out Madison Square Garden in New York on December 5. Afterward, Axl went out with an entourage, but he was rudely turned away from ultra-chic, model-ridden nightclub Spa because he was wearing a fur jacket and the club had a strict no-fur policy. Humiliated, mad as hell, he stormed back to his hotel.

Instead of playing in Philadelphia the next day, he stayed in and watched a basketball game on television. After both opening bands had played, with Axl still in Manhattan, the Philadelphia show was canceled at eleven P.M. Chairs flew through the air. Trash fires were set. The riot cops arrived. The rest of the tour was canceled by the promoter.

Whether or not any of this happened, they forgot to mention the only confirmed part, which was that he was on his way to the arena.

its actually really shitty that he wears fur tbh.

e; assuming its true, that is.

Yes. A guy as smart as Axl should know better.

ahhh..interesting take... by logic then YOU and him and every one wearing leather should refrain.

Guest siliconmessiah

What I find odd is that most reviews from 2002 talk about how awesome and powerful Axl sounded. Powerful isn't really the word I'd use to describe his voice in 2002. But most professional reviews have a lot of positive comments in regards to his voice. Seems like a pretty big disconnect there.

Now I´m gonna tell you exactly how it is, and I´m afraid that it´s gonna be a little rant.

I have been here since the beginnining of this forum and can tell you a story that is completely true.

Back in 2002, Guns & Roses gave their fans fantastic shows. Sold out Madison Square Garden and the people attending these gigs, lived to tell about amazing performances, and some videos on youtube shows this as well.

Back in 2006, Guns & Roses gave their fans fantastic shows. Sold out venues all over the world, playing with enormous energy and delivering the goods in amazing performances.

Back in 2009-2010, Guns & Roses gave their fans fantastic shows. Sold out venues all over the world that got watched by over a million people, making spontaneous acoustic extra shows, rocking the fucking shit all over the fucking world.

During all those years. The band has been amazing.

Axl´s voice have foremost been fantastically powerful and back in 2002 he could hit some bad-ass hi-pitched notes that was cool.

But you know what?

Yeah.

Some people still bitched.

They bitched about his clothing, his voice, the band playing. Because they are jealous of Axl Rose succeeding in still being one of the greatest rock stars still alive on this fucking planet.

There are a lot of people that are envious of Axl and Guns & Roses still living on, living the dream, delivering one of the last standing rock n roll shows to the masses.

Those people infest threads all over this forum, calling for a reunion.

But what is a reunion? People don´t even know that anymore. It´s so fucking annoying to see Buckethead & Slashites & Bumblefooters still beating each other about "who´s the real band", when these new incarnations have toured even more than the second incarnation of the band (with slash, without gilby).

You have to see and enjoy all the different incarnations of this band. If you do that, you´ll notice that all those incarnations have something to enjoy. I just wish that all those incarnations could have released some music, but I hope we will see this music someday.

But I guess even then, "fans" and random rumor-mongers on forums will find something new to bitch about...

I wasn't complaining. I like the 2002 stuff. But his voice wasn't particularly powerful. People have complained for years about the helium voice during that period, yet most reviews said he sounded like the Axl of old. Hence, a disconnect. I don't think anyone could really argue that he sounded like the Axl of old in 2002. I fully agree GNR put on some awesome shows in 2002.

Guest siliconmessiah

Now I´m gonna tell you exactly how it is, and I´m afraid that it´s gonna be a little rant.

I have been here since the beginnining of this forum and can tell you a story that is completely true.

Back in 2002, Guns & Roses gave their fans fantastic shows. Sold out Madison Square Garden and the people attending these gigs, lived to tell about amazing performances, and some videos on youtube shows this as well.

Back in 2006, Guns & Roses gave their fans fantastic shows. Sold out venues all over the world, playing with enormous energy and delivering the goods in amazing performances.

Back in 2009-2010, Guns & Roses gave their fans fantastic shows. Sold out venues all over the world that got watched by over a million people, making spontaneous acoustic extra shows, rocking the fucking shit all over the fucking world.

During all those years. The band has been amazing.

Axl´s voice have foremost been fantastically powerful and back in 2002 he could hit some bad-ass hi-pitched notes that was cool.

But you know what?

Yeah.

Some people still bitched.

They bitched about his clothing, his voice, the band playing. Because they are jealous of Axl Rose succeeding in still being one of the greatest rock stars still alive on this fucking planet.

There are a lot of people that are envious of Axl and Guns & Roses still living on, living the dream, delivering one of the last standing rock n roll shows to the masses.

Those people infest threads all over this forum, calling for a reunion.

But what is a reunion? People don´t even know that anymore. It´s so fucking annoying to see Buckethead & Slashites & Bumblefooters still beating each other about "who´s the real band", when these new incarnations have toured even more than the second incarnation of the band (with slash, without gilby).

You have to see and enjoy all the different incarnations of this band. If you do that, you´ll notice that all those incarnations have something to enjoy. I just wish that all those incarnations could have released some music, but I hope we will see this music someday.

But I guess even then, "fans" and random rumor-mongers on forums will find something new to bitch about...

I wasn't complaining. I like the 2002 stuff. But his voice wasn't particularly powerful. People have complained for years about the helium voice during that period, yet most reviews said he sounded like the Axl of old. Hence, a disconnect. I don't think anyone could really argue that he sounded like the Axl of old in 2002. I fully agree GNR put on some awesome shows in 2002.

My post was a way to describe the attitude from some random people on this forum for the past 10 years, I wouldn´t call them fans. Not all of course, but mostly newbies. It was not directed directly towards you in any way.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Whether or not any of this happened, they forgot to mention the only confirmed part, which was that he was on his way to the arena.

its actually really shitty that he wears fur tbh.

e; assuming its true, that is.

Yes. A guy as smart as Axl should know better.

Please enlighten me, what is the crime of wearing fur,and for that matter wearing leather and eating meat? They all fall under the use of Animals raised for a specific purpose;so unless you wear pleather and are a strict vegetarian,never venturing into carnivoire land,wearing plastic shoes; Peta people are full-on hypocritical geek-bags.