"Being in Guns ´N Roses"

Guest siliconmessiah

Guest siliconmessiah

I have always wondered what it feels like to be a part of Guns ´N Roses 2000-2011 - musically that is.

There were speculations that Buckethead/Brain/Finck left the band due to the lack of releasing new music, and that´s why I create this topic.

My worst fear as a fan, is that with the lack of released material, Guns ´N Roses may fall into just becoming a touring "nostalgia act".

Does anyone agree with me on this? Is there something the band can do to turn this around?

I think that if GNR would release an album that the public can really lach onto, they might still have a chance. Even though chinese democracy wasn't a total flop, it certainly wasn't the album that GNR needed for the current lineup to gain relevance. And the whole waiting 15 years to put out an album doesn't help the situation, regardless of why it took so long

the band finished an european tour less than a year ago. its not rare for bands to not do much for less than a year, look at bands from a similar time like Iron Maiden sure they were around before GnR but they went through similar lineup changes and are of similar ages etc, they will do a tour and then you dont hear anything of them until they announce something new.

i think people are announcing GnR death Tolls long before they are due

Guest siliconmessiah

the band finished an european tour less than a year ago. its not rare for bands to not do much for less than a year, look at bands from a similar time like Iron Maiden sure they were around before GnR but they went through similar lineup changes and are of similar ages etc, they will do a tour and then you dont hear anything of them until they announce something new.

I am with you on your idea. But the difference is that Iron Maiden continously produces material and releases albums.

We all know what Guns N´ Roses released since 1999.

Not to step on any toes, but this is my honest opinion:

Put out albums more regularly

Have a solid line up and keep it

Band photos

Music videos with said band in the video

Band interviews

No gag orders

Have less songs from pre-new-GnR played live(big hits only)

While its correct that its not uncommon for bands to take a 6 month break or even a year off, most bands do the above(Megadeth, Metallica, Maiden etc) so its no big deal when the band is inactive from touring.

Guest siliconmessiah

Agreed,the bell does not toll for GNRS,just a bit of downtime,RIR is already on the horizon,and ChiDem certainly had a variety of music ,so I don't envision it as any form of nostalgia

Yes. But I am saying that it ain´t fair to draw a line between Iron Maiden and Guns N´ Roses, as Iron Maiden have released FOUR albums since 2000.

My original question was if there can be an amount of frustration in a band (Guns N´ Roses) with only one album release since the comeback in 2001.

Guest siliconmessiah

Band photos

Band interviews

No gag orders

This is of course the dream scenario for Guns N´ Roses.

But if Axl´s vision of still wanting Buckethead and Finck in the band being true, then these things won´t happen until they return.

Band photos

Band interviews

No gag orders

While its correct that its not uncommon for bands to take a 6 month break or even a year off, most bands do the above(Megadeth, Metallica, Maiden etc) so its no big deal when the band is inactive from touring.

Idealism is a wonderous concept,but this is GNR and GNR has never done things on any given timetable

No one asked you to make up defenses for Guns N' Roses. The OP asked US for our opinions, I gave mine. Geez man, not every thread is an attack on GnR, the OP asked a hypothetical question. I posted what I think would help Guns move away from the nostalgia act that many think they are now and you are stating reasons why that can't happen. WE ALL KNOW Guns run on a retarded time schedule, thanks for pointing that out Mr Obvious, that was not the question at hand.

Chinese Democracy 2001 - 2011

'nough said ?

That's why NuGnR became a revolving door to begin with. I doubt it was Axl's choice to have Buckethead, Tobias and Finck leave...

And who can blame them really ? Playing somebody else's music is only exciting for so long...Paychecks help but it's still a question of pride and boredom I suppose...

Guest siliconmessiah

Band photos

Band interviews

No gag orders

Idealism is a wonderous concept,but this is GNR and GNR has never done things on any given timetable

No one asked you to make up defenses for Guns N' Roses. The OP asked US for our opinions, I gave mine. Geez man, not every thread is an attack on GnR, the OP asked a hypothetical question. I posted what I think would help Guns move away from the nostalgia act that many think they are now and you are stating reasons why that can't happen. WE ALL KNOW Guns run on a retarded time schedule, thanks for pointing that out Mr Obvious, that was not the question at hand.

Why the hostility,you stated your opinion,I stated mine,no personal malice intended,but GNR does not operate like any other band,never has, and in all probability never will,I like this aspect of the band,personally,and those who don't can find a band that fulfills their own needs,imo

Trilogy.

While both you and I have a positive look at most of Guns N´ Roses. You must admit that the band would have been better off releasing four albums instead of one since 2000. Stating anything else would just be idiotic.

I agree with Young Gun about what is needed for Guns N´ Roses to become relevant again, instead of a nostalgia act.

Band photos

Band interviews

No gag orders

Why the hostility,you stated your opinion,I stated mine,no personal malice intended,but GNR does not operate like any other band,never has, and in all probability never will,I like this aspect of the band,personally,and those who don't can find a band that fulfills their own needs,imo

You stated your opinion on a subject that was neither bought up or relevant to the thread. No one really bought up the "time" aspect, merely what Guns can do to make itself its own band. You stated your opinion several posts before mine and when i posted mine, you proceeded to shoot it down with your usual defense. I'm fine with that part as I'm not always right, but your defense is always the same and almost never even attempts to debunk any of the points made by myself or other posters, you simply say "This is GnR, don't like it, tough" or something to that extent. So pretty much you are telling us that we can't talk about it, which ticks me off. Guns USED to make video clips before, Guns USED to have band interviews, Guns USED to have band photos, Guns USED to release albums every few years, so simply saying "Guns never have done things on any given time table is totally irrelevant, as we are mainly talking about the content, not the time it is delivered.

Guest siliconmessiah

I honestly don't see GNR as a "nostalgia act",and am glad they released one quality Album as opposed to multiple mediocre Albums,charts and critics don't dictate my taste in music,I know what I like,and I know how GNR has operated,I don't understand why

"Starting on time" is relevant, I don't have a set bedtime,and don't sleep immediately after a Gig anyway,So I have a varying opinion,and am more than willing to understand and accept the way GNR is, "Rock Rules" is an oxymoron

Trilogy. You used to have some good input, but you are taking things out of their context.

We have not on ONE POINT in this thread been discussing if GNR´s lateness on stage?! It was you who brought it up, and I wonder why?

What we have been discussing however. Is the question that with the lack of released material from Guns N´ Roses, there MAY BE A RISK of them turning into a nostalgia act.

Another run of "The Chinese Democracy tour"...you know....

My input is that a regular scheme of releases since 2000, would have been making the old lineup seem less relevant today.

Geez...

Edited by siliconmessiah

I honestly don't see GNR as a "nostalgia act",and am glad they released one quality Album as opposed to multiple mediocre Albums,charts and critics don't dictate my taste in music,I know what I like,and I know how GNR has operated,I don't understand why

"Starting on time" is relevant, I don't have a set bedtime,and don't sleep immediately after a Gig anyway,So I have a varying opinion,and am more than willing to understand and accept the way GNR is, "Rock Rules" is an oxymoron

Trilogy. You used to have some good input, but you are taking things out of their context.

We have not on ONE POINT in this thread been discussing if GNR´s lateness on stage?! It was you who brought it up, and I wonder why?

What we have been discussing however. Is the question that with the lack of released material from Guns N´ Roses, there MAY BE A RISK of them turning into a nostalgia act.

I would have taken three other albums over Chinese Democracy any day.

My input is that a regular scheme of releases since 2000, would have been making the old lineup seem less relevant today.

Geez...

Exactly, that's my main problem with Trilogy, ignoring good points made by posters(mainly because he can't defend those points), but bringing up something either totally irrelevant to the topic or basically saying "this is Guns N" Roses, there are other bands that follow the norm you can follow if you don't like it".

Band photos

Band interviews

No gag orders

im definitely not going to argue against that i would love to see and hear more from GnR and i really hope that this lineup is permanent because i really like the combination, i just dont think you can vount them out as a nostalgia act EG Journey, Foriegner etc at this point

Geez...

sorry for the double post

i found the last sentence here really interesting SM, i seem to remember Axl once saying something along the lines of "i want to buy AFD" like it was a time in his life and an album that he wanted to destroy, obviously i am paraphrasing here, i cannot remember exactly however that could be an interesting point.

Could a more constant stream of new music make old GnR less relevant in arguments or balance the fans between old and new GnR more (similar to Roth Vs Hagar), or was the option chosen to take a long tme producing one album that was representative of the entirety of new GnR and the future of GnR the correct way to go?

Guest siliconmessiah

i found the last sentence here really interesting SM, i seem to remember Axl once saying something along the lines of "i want to buy AFD" like it was a time in his life and an album that he wanted to destroy, obviously i am paraphrasing here, i cannot remember exactly however that could be an interesting point.

Could a more constant stream of new music make old GnR less relevant in arguments or balance the fans between old and new GnR more (similar to Roth Vs Hagar), or was the option chosen to take a long tme producing one album that was representative of the entirety of new GnR and the future of GnR the correct way to go?

Hmm...can´t remember that. But at the same time, something comes to my mind as you mention it.....maybe someone else could give some input.

I am sure that a constant music-flow could make old GNR less relevant. But at the same time, it´s a big gamble and a risk to take...

As a big fan, I wish that Axl would have the guts to do it and release his trilogy of albums, starting today.

And my point being I'd rather have fewer Albums with higher quality material than a plethoria of mediocre,formulated rock,everyone in this thread is merely speculating and giving their opinions,and that is how I feel, I would be very disappointed if GNR was releasing shitty music for the explicit purpose of releasing albums,or releasing albums filled with subpar,formulated rock,am very satisfied with the announcement of headlining RIR,and I have my life to live until further announcements are made

Yeah but that's not the point because other albums by Axl feat. Buckethead, Robin and Brain wouldn't have been "mediocre formulated rock" either...

There ARE other albums waiting to be released.

The point is that it took ten years to release one ( and the departure of both Bucket and Robin, the two guys responsible for the best moments on CD ) while it was more or less finished YEARS before...

Guest siliconmessiah

other albums by Axl feat. Buckethead, Robin and Brain wouldn't have been "mediocre formulated rock" either...

No. I am sure these albums would have been killer.

One can only hope that they get released but not re-recorded...

My worst fear as a fan, is that with the lack of released material, Guns ´N Roses may fall into just becoming a touring "nostalgia act".

Er- sorry to disappoint you, but they already have- outside of these forums where a few thousand fans follow the band religiously, everyone else does just see Axl n' friends as a nostalgia act. Some are even good enough to put aside their feelings of "this isn't really GNR" to still go see Axl in concert and hear him belt out some of the great tunes from the old band. But make no mistake, outside of this board, nobody really gives a shit.

Which is sad really because at the concert I've been to, the audience seemed to like the current guitarists, judging by the reactions to their antics or to the solos.

They ARE a great live band.

But unfortunately, Axl does no allow them to be anything more than that... :shrugs:

CD era started in 2000 so it's time to move on with the other two unreleased albums

No need to rerecord parts by different band members just hit the studio polish/mix and put the CD's out

That isn't your call to make,to be totally tactless,but I'm sure many share your opinion

sure we can play chinese democracy for 20 years without a new album and we will have one fan happy trollogy

Guest gunns5

CD era started in 2000 so it's time to move on with the other two unreleased albums

No need to rerecord parts by different band members just hit the studio polish/mix and put the CD's out

That isn't your call to make,to be totally tactless,but I'm sure many share your opinion

sure we can play chinese democracy for 20 years without a new album and we will have one fan happy trollogy

I agree with Thinakboutyou,

I want every last song out of that cd-era vault before we get any new material from the current band, thats not being 'tactless'. Lets get all the buckethead/finck era music out before anything else, after all , to indirectly quote a band member "the best still hasn't been released'

Guns should release music, tour and do interviews.

Simple as that. And I'm not saying that Axl should whore himself or anything like that. He could do interviews where he talks about music, recording and hypes tours, nothing personal stuff. I know he doesn't want to, but those things would help Guns to be relevant again and not be a nostalgia act that they are at this point, unfortunately. Touring heavily and releasing music every two or three years would make them look good and hard working. They would get new respect from us, die-hard fans, from casual fans and from other musicians/bands too. (And I'm not saying that Guns aren't respected, but they are respected because of the 80's and the 90's.)

guns doesn't have to release albums or do interviews or have silly photoshoots.

they just have to keep doing what they do. as of the year 2011, they play massive world tours, massive music festivals around the world, and have released a hit album that went platinum around the world and is still tearing up the charts a full two years later. i think axl has proven he knows how to run a band better than anyone on this forum, unless of course some of you are keeping secret the fact that you are international music celebrities.

so thanks for all the hot tips from all the people with a millionth of the talent and accomplishments axl has. file it under: rat's ass.