M.Shadows on GNR

Goose!

You also jammed with Duff on “It’s So Easy.”

It was so cool, man—it was just thrown together. We’d been planning on doing it for a long time and he just couldn’t make it to a rehearsal at the same time that we could make it to rehearsal. We ended up being on tour and then him playing a show in LA the night before the Revolver Awards, so we never practiced it. We just kept talking to one another—“Are you sure we got this?” And Duff was like, “Hey, man, I know how to play it; everything will be OK.” We’re like “Fuck, dude, yeah, I’m sure you know how to play it but we’re just makin’ sure.” We can’t just walk up there on TV and play a song for the first time and he seemed to think it was gonna be fine and it was. It was awesome; we played it really well and it gelled and we had a good time with it. But I was definitely very scared about that performance over anything else that night.

Guns were an influence on Avenged back in the day?

Oh, yeah; they were my favorite band growing up. And they probably still are—there are a couple bands that I’ve really gotten into in the last few years like Pink Floyd and some of the classics. But Guns N’ Roses Use Your Illusion I and II are two of my favorite records of all time.

Do you have any feelings about the Chinese Democracy record?

There are great songs there and Axl is a great singer; he’s an amazing singer. It’s hard because a lot of times it’s that feeling a band gives you when you know they’re a band and you know what it’s about. And there’s so much drama that goes around that camp. I’ve met Bumblefoot and a couple of the guys in that band and they’re great guys and great players—it’s just really hard to play in that shadow of what Guns N’ Roses was. And I think that kind of takes you away from when you’re listening to a record and what it’s all about. What made Dark Side of the Moon so great is some of the mystique and where it was coming from and just the authenticity of it. And that’s what kinda sucks about the new Guns N’ Roses—it’s really hard to put your finger on it but it’s not the same thing. I think for all of us it would be really nice if they could just get it together and do some stuff but that’s probably never gonna happen.

Full interview - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/avenged_sevenfold_youll_be_killing_zombies_while_you_hear_that_song.html

Edited by Goose!

I've met M. Shadows, Zachy, Syn and Johnny at a Hot Topic signing.

I have their death bat tattoo on my upper right bicept and underneath it is a GNR tattoo. Shadows noticed both my tattoos and told me how he loved GNR too.

I've seen them live 5 times and M. Shadows usually has a bandanna underneath a backwards baseball cap like Axl wore in the GNR early years.

Not that it wouldn't be awesome to see him in biker shorts! :)

Damn, A7X were lucky enough to open for Axl and the new GNR in Europe, M. Shadows sang a song on Slash's new cd and then jammed with Duff. I'd say these guys are living the dream. Now too bad those guys weren't all playing in the same GNR band.

anyway, A7X are one of my all time bands up there with GNR. These guys rock 110% live! And their cds are fuckin awesome.

He puts it very well

They don't deserve all the shit they get from hipsters and music snobs alike, great great band. I knew they were huge GNR fans before I ever heard them talk about it in interviews, City of Evil was like a 00's Appetite for Destruction, maybe not nearly as great of an album but still a pretty damn good album.

City of Evil was like a 00's Appetite for Destruction, maybe not nearly as great of an album but still a pretty damn good album.

This! After 6 years it still kicks ass. A7x is one of the few mainstream bands that writes interesting (or skillful) guitar parts...

And M.Shadows opinions on CD (and GnR) are pretty much the same as mine, so cool! :D

He puts it very well

They don't deserve all the shit they get from hipsters and music snobs alike, great great band. I knew they were huge GNR fans before I ever heard them talk about it in interviews, City of Evil was like a 00's Appetite for Destruction, maybe not nearly as great of an album but still a pretty damn good album.

They are a great band, although their last two albums aren't nearly as good as city of evil

A7x are my second favorite band of all time behind guns. They to me are the new guns n roses. They have a epic guitar player in syn a great rythm guy in zacky, jc at bass and a fantastic frontman. The rev was probably one of the best drummers of all time also. They are extremely underrated and it is crazy how mast people don't know who they are. Saw them in orlando last week and could only think of how great it would've been to see them

and guns together.

In Finland A7x are pretty big at the moment, I think. I wanted to go see them last year, but their show sold out in a few hours. I thought only a few people knows about them :D. That was the case in 2006, when I started to listen to them, but I guess I've been since then living under a rock or something :D...

A7x are my second favorite band of all time behind guns. They to me are the new guns n roses. They have a epic guitar player in syn a great rythm guy in zacky, jc at bass and a fantastic frontman. The rev was probably one of the best drummers of all time also. They are extremely underrated and it is crazy how mast people don't know who they are. Saw them in orlando last week and could only think of how great it would've been to see them

and guns together.

The music is great, but the vocals and lyrics suck balls.

He puts it very well

They are a great band, although their last two albums aren't nearly as good as city of evil

It's all a matter of what you perfer. Nightmare is my favorite A7X record, then the Selftitled album, followed by Cit Of Evil. I'm not a fan of the stuff before that.

and guns together.

The music is great, but the vocals and lyrics suck balls.

very well said.

He puts it very well

It's all a matter of what you perfer. Nightmare is my favorite A7X record, then the Selftitled album, followed by Cit Of Evil. I'm not a fan of the stuff before that.

Agreed !! Feel the same !!

I don't get all the shit about the lyrics.. For me they are very well strung together and are immensely hard to sing, and M. Shadows manages to do that and put his own little twists to it.. ! Think that is very cool and very skillfull.. !!

You can't have it all - Definately the next generation of Rock N' Roll / Metal...

and guns together.

Dude I agree with everything you said! Right on!

Guest siliconmessiah

and guns together.

Dude I agree with everything you said! Right on!

I also agree with you guys.

I have seen A7X twice.

Once as a support act to Guns N´ Roses in 2006, and secondly as a headline act as their own in 2010.

Both times, amazing!!