SLASH Says He Doesn't Understand 'Level Of Hysteria' Around The Name GUNS N' ROSES

WhazUp

Heineken Music recently conducted an interview with legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER being hard acts to follow:

"I don't really like to spend time talking about them, but the interesting thing is the strong legacy about each band. The level of hysteria around the band — or should I say the name GUNS N' ROSES — has continued. I don't totally understand that. VELVET REVOLVER happened because Duff [McKagan] and I got together with Matt Sorum and Scott Weiland, and it was so good and intense we decided to carry it on. So trying to follow in GUNS N' ROSES' footsteps wasn't an issue for us at all, because it's been so long since Duff and myself had been in the band."

On how he has changed his personal and lifestyle habits:

"You can only push the excess to a certain extent — it never has the same appeal when you've done it so often. I'm fortunate in that I was definitely suspect of being one of those types of people at some point or another. Sadly, a lot of people have gone down that road and not come back. Most come out of the fog completely jaded and tired and don't even understand what they were doing."

On his image as the epitome of rock 'n' roll excess and dissipation:

"When I see the image of what the media and general public perceive as being a rock star, I don't see myself on that particular level. Cartoonish, sometimes, yes, and I do live certain aspects of the life still to this day. At the same time, this is just the image. For me, it's never been about dressing to impress. There's a thing about pushing your self over the limits, as far as possible, even to the point where you wake up in the hospital. After a while, however, it just gets a bit boring."

Read more from Heineken Music.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=160613

Heineken Music recently conducted an interview with legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES). A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER being hard acts to follow:

"I don't really like to spend time talking about them, but the interesting thing is the strong legacy about each band. The level of hysteria around the band — or should I say the name GUNS N' ROSES — has continued. I don't totally understand that. VELVET REVOLVER happened because Duff [McKagan] and I got together with Matt Sorum and Scott Weiland, and it was so good and intense we decided to carry it on. So trying to follow in GUNS N' ROSES' footsteps wasn't an issue for us at all, because it's been so long since Duff and myself had been in the band."

On how he has changed his personal and lifestyle habits:

"You can only push the excess to a certain extent — it never has the same appeal when you've done it so often. I'm fortunate in that I was definitely suspect of being one of those types of people at some point or another. Sadly, a lot of people have gone down that road and not come back. Most come out of the fog completely jaded and tired and don't even understand what they were doing."

On his image as the epitome of rock 'n' roll excess and dissipation:

"When I see the image of what the media and general public perceive as being a rock star, I don't see myself on that particular level. Cartoonish, sometimes, yes, and I do live certain aspects of the life still to this day. At the same time, this is just the image. For me, it's never been about dressing to impress. There's a thing about pushing your self over the limits, as far as possible, even to the point where you wake up in the hospital. After a while, however, it just gets a bit boring."

Read more from Heineken Music.

http://www.roadrunne...wsitemID=160613

even with sequins on your hat ? rofl-lol.gifrofl-lol.gifrofl-lol.gif

A little dig by Slash there, naughty naughty. Well, thats how i took it anyway.

me and you both lol

though to be fair imho, the other side is more obsessed with him than he ever was, so he probably doesn't do it intentionally, unlike... my friend over there

Edited by dario27

Guest Len B'stard

LOL you all analyze Slash's every word like it is the Dead Sea scrolls.

.the man just not that calculated.

Yeah, i think you're right although in my defence, i don't think interpreting:

The level of hysteria around the band or should I say the name GUNS N' ROSES has continued. I don't totally understand that.

that as a dig is that much of a stretch i mean, i mean the guys been in litigation about the name before now, and he purposely goes out of his way to go "...the band...or should i say the name", evidently he's calculating something, i mean he corrected himself, isn't that the definition of calculating, in a sense? Anyway, i think he's more than allowed his dig here and there towards that issue, i would and he's behaved fairly saintly through all this as far as i'm concerned, bless his dear top hat and Les Paul :lol: I'm not one of the anti-Slash brigade or anything.

Edited by sugaraylen

A little dig by Slash there, naughty naughty. Well, thats how i took it anyway.

Who is he digging at? No one specific. Quit reading between the lines, just because

someone highlighted the quote doesn't mean it's about anyone in particular.

Edited by 31illusion

Guest Len B'stard

well what else does that mean then, why say THE NAME Guns n Roses in mid-sentence? I'm sure he isn't that calculated but at the same time i don't think he spews random gibberish out of his mouth, it does mean something.

well what else does that mean then, why say THE NAME Guns n Roses in mid-sentence? I'm sure he isn't that calculated but at the same time i don't think he spews random gibberish out of his mouth, it does mean something.

Because it concerns the name more than the current band.

The problem isn't the fact that the original 5 have split and all have their own projects and bands, it's that Axl has called his new 'peoject' Guns n Roses.

No1 cares if Axl plays with Bucket or whoever the fuck he likes, they care that he does it under the GnR name and legacy.

It's not a dig at Axl or the people involved in the current interpretation of GnR, it's not even a dig. It's just stating that the name has become the biggest issue.