I love Catcher in the Rye

wasted

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siliconmessiah

Great song!

The best was at the Tokyo show, after they performed it Axl joked that they played the 5th version of Catcher :rofl-lol:

Yeah. I can understand that.

It needs to be arranged pretty much to get that "live flow" feeling, and to fit in on a GNR-live show.

Well not much to add other than "I agree". Don't know how many times I've listened to this song and get chills around the "when no one else was there" line.

Why? What do you think it's meaning. not cross questioning you it's just my reaction the song changes. maybe it's a good thing. a good single bcos people would make of it what they want.

I've listened to it all day, I think it shoulda coulda woulda been a great single and video. it's a grower. I could see it playing on radio like Stop Crying Your Heart Out.

Edited by wasted

Guest siliconmessiah

I've listened to it all day, I think it shoulda coils woulda been a great single and video. it's a grower. I could see it playing on radio like Stop Crying Your Heart Out.

Yeah. No doubt about it, it´s one of CD´s finest!

I like how Ron's solo just sort of stays within the parameters of the general momentum of the song. He doesn't just breakaway and do a blues solo. but yeah it does get very intense on headphones. Perfect end to a great side.

Edited by wasted

Yeah I guess parts of it do sound a bit like Slash the first solo then the beginning of second but then it seems to follow Axls vocal to the end. amazing really. maybe too intense for a single, not sure. it starts out like a summers day but ends lin the eye of a hurricane.

If released as a single it would make all other bands break up.

Every reply of yours seems premeditated to cause a reaction,are you infected with BBA herpes?

Back on topic,love catcher the lyrics and melody are perfectly matched.The lyrics still bother me a bit if I'm taking them introspectively but good lyrics sometimes should disturb imo.

how do you relate to the lyrics?

CITR is my personal favorite from CD, only GNR song I like better is Coma. AS far as the lyrics go, for me, it's the loss of John Lennon.

On an ordinary day

Not in an ordinary way

All at once the song I heard

No longer would it play

For anybody

Or anyone

That needed comfort from somebody

Needed comfort from someone

Who cared

To be

Not like you

And unlike me

And then the voices went away from me

Somehow you set the wheels in motion

That haunts our memories

You were the instrument

You were the one

How a body

Took the body

You gave that boy a gun

You took our innocence

Beyond our stares

Sometimes the only thing

We counted on

When no one else was there

Lennon was a voice of more than one generation, it was a devastating loss to so many people, to me, it seems very obvious, Axl was one of them. Great song!

so how does that match up with the early verses where Axl is singing as Holden Caulfield Syndrome suffer/Chapman. or maybe he isn't?

The tribute part is great. It's Axl emoting on the loss of Lennon who he blames Salinger for.

I've read reviews where they thinking Axl is empathizing with Holden.

So the two parts contradict themselves?

Edited by wasted