I love Catcher in the Rye

wasted

to me you can't necessarily put into words or explain Johm Lennons dearhbor what it means to you, so I think the na na na works or makes sense, the music takes you to that point. don't know if they consciously did that or it's just a instinct thing.

I think at one show they got the audience to sing na na na part after the song finished. early in the tour.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear an entire album of Catchers, meaning songs that are as defined in their own craziness and follow their own direction and have that feel to them, epic and dark but at the same time have many facets and you can just listen to the pretty melody if you want to.

which ever version you prefer, Axl really nailed it with this one imo. I hope CDll is built around a couple of huge songs like Catcher and There Was A Time like Chinese Democracy was. It really worked for me.

I wonder if it's possible for Axl to write something similar to Catcher or if there's a song like it on CDll. The subject matter and the inspiration for it does make me think it could be impossible.

That said, Axl is very good at writing an epic classic song, and then write a 'twin' to it like November Rain and Estranged sort of thing.

They are similar in ways but you gotta have them both.

Edited by Rovim

yeah maybe on Shacklers and Riad. maybe it's just a 90s sound. the density and intensity.

I think the way they came out has some contemp influences. like Ron's touches and I feel like This. I love was prob 10 mins in the 90s. Always thought CD had Holy Bible element.

Like Manic Street Preacher's album?

I'd say Atlas Shrugged could be twin. like Catcher is subjectivity and Atlas is objectivity. Pure guesswork obviously but they are like opposites those two books.

I wonder if it's possible for Axl to write something similar to Catcher or if there's a song like it on CDll. The subject matter and the inspiration for it does make me think it could be impossible.

That said, Axl is very good at writing an epic classic song, and then right a 'twin' to it like November Rain and Estranged sort of thing.

They are similar in ways but you gotta have them both.

Interesting. Both Atlas and Catcher also featured at some point Brian May's guitar work but I feel we were lucky to hear his Catcher work and the studio version with Bumble.

Don't think we'll be able to hear both versions of Atlas and it's weird cause with Catcher I feel I need to listen to both to really get all the magic this song has to offer.

It's like one version of each song on Chinese Democracy is not enough. I'd love to hear Brain's remixes.

there's that acoustic version of Catcher too. The Rose Bar? and some live versions.

It would be weird just to hear the studio version first. in someways just the studio gives a song an authority or magic out of the gate.

I drove around San Andreas to Catcher demo.

I love when Axl changes gears in his narrative to 'check out how crazy this shit is' mode when approaching song writing. This was present in Appetite but it was more of how crazy the surroundings were and Axl's ability to see that like Jungle, or in other people like My Michelle but that was more of a crazy life style.

In Catcher it's like it's not him but yet it feels like he's singing from a padded room with the jacket on.

Kinda special how you can both be the crazy and criticize the crazy in a song.

It's that duality that I find fascinating. Maybe Seven will be like a breakdown of the craziness divided to more specific parts.

Edited by Rovim

I liked axls explanation of the song in the chats where he said the song was like him drifting in and out of consciousness , like he's lucid dreaming whilst being in reality at the same time. I mean to conjur up a way to write lyrics like that by inserting yourself into a situation that you're not totally aware of your surroundings whilst experiencing clarity in the altered state, well it's pretty fascinating.

I take that last verse as Axl trying to find the fine line between the insanity and sanity battle he has with himself and how all actions can be justified based upon that persons own perception of their actions which of course defies logic in reality, but not in the minds of the insane who choose to justify it instead of accepting the true consequences in real life.

Axl singing from the perspective of the head in the box.

I think Catcher would make a perfect GNR video. Axl could play all the roles and shoot it in central park.

as if they'd ever learn as if that's mine to say is kind of how I feel. kind of old and gouty.

I love when Axl changes gears in his narrative to 'check out how crazy this shit is' mode when approaching song writing. This was present in Appetite but it was more of how crazy the surroundings were and Axl's ability to see that like Jungle, or in other people like My Michelle but that was more of a crazy life style.

In Catcher it's like it's not him but yet it feels like he's singing from a padded room with the jacket on.

Kinda special how you can both be the crazy and criticize the crazy in a song.

It's that duality that I find fascinating. Maybe Seven will be like a breakdown of the craziness divided to more specific parts.

It's like Axl is an actor playing these roles. He'd prob be a goodethod actor. Shacklers is the similar. Or not maybe Axl is just twisted.

I liked axls explanation of the song in the chats where he said the song was like him drifting in and out of consciousness , like he's lucid dreaming whilst being in reality at the same time. I mean to conjur up a way to write lyrics like that by inserting yourself into a situation that you're not totally aware of your surroundings whilst experiencing clarity in the altered state, well it's pretty fascinating.

I take that last verse as Axl trying to find the fine line between the insanity and sanity battle he has with himself and how all actions can be justified based upon that persons own perception of their actions which of course defies logic in reality, but not in the minds of the insane who choose to justify it instead of accepting the true consequences in real life.

Interesting discussion going on here. Inspired me to pick up a copy of CITR at my local library today. I´ll return with my thoughts later on...

Me, too. Luckily, I always carry a copy. I'm rereading it now because of this discussion. :D

I still don't get how anyone could say, "Hmm Holden hates phonies? I must kill John Lennon!" or whatever that thought process was. Does anybody know exactly what in the book made Chapman do it?

The book reinforced his own ideas of phonies. He saw Lennon as a phony. I think though he crossed a line where he though Lennon was an imposter. Chapman thought he was in fact Lennon. but Chapman had anger issues. The Killing of John Lennon movie kind of shows how it builds up.

Chapman has said that he thought by killing Lennon he would become someone. It's like he's angry at himself for being nothing, but he needs to direct that anger at something. In Holden he found a way righteously justify it. To back him up.

Also I think Lennons quote about Beatles being bigger than Jesus upset Chapman. That combined with the perception that Lennon sold out his Peace and Love ideals.

It all led Chapman to turn his anger on Lennon.

Illusion-esqueness is a real word!

weren't Catcher and This I Love started in 94, which might explain Illusionesqueness.

Yes wasted,also love your terminology "Illusionesqueness".That stands up there with "inconquerable". :)

Indeed! :D