Relationsship between Axl and Izzy

sixtus

Ist it right, that Izzy broke up with the band just after the release of UYI, after a few shows during the UYI Tour?

No one ever spoke about the really reasons, except Izzy couldn't stand Axl's behaviour anymore. But no one every spoke about really situations, who is to blame, or what happend backstage. No one, no Slash, no Duff, no Matt, no one.

So here is my question: Who come's that suddenly during the 1993 Tour, Izzy joined the band because of Gilbys broken hand? Does someone knows for how many dates? And, even more interesting, why did Axl on the same tour, dedicate Double Talkin' Jive to Izzy, instead of being thankful that he helped the band out? Questions, Questions, Questions.

Is Izzy without any pride, that he came on stage with Axl again in 2006?

Just a few questions, i was thinkin' about a lot - perhaps some of you might know, happy discussing! :)

From what I understand the relationship between Axl and Izzy is just fuckin' dandy.

They got together in the mid 90's to do some writing, and in 06' to do some touring.

It's not that Izzy doesn't have pride in himself, or is a sellout or anything like that, it's because Axl and Izzy have been friends for a long time, and musically they are just 'right' together.

musically they are just 'right' together.

Agreed. Too bad Axl still has the same characteristics Izzy didn't like in the UYI era... I would kill to have the duo that brought us My Michelle, Patience, Don't Cry, and You Cold Be Mine back together. Izzy's the main brain behind most of UYI.

From what I understand the relationship between Axl and Izzy is just fuckin' dandy.

They got together in the mid 90's to do some writing, and in 06' to do some touring.

And apparently Axl was pissed that Izzy negotiated a deal with the record company to do so.

No one ever spoke about the really reasons, except Izzy couldn't stand Axl's behaviour anymore.

source?

didn't Izzy quit because of his drug problem and because Guns became too big, famous etc. for him to handle?

There's more than a few interviews where Izzy says Axl's behaviour was a big issue. Also, Izzy was clean by that point and hanging out with the rest of the guys who weren't was another issue.

To the OP's question, it was only a couple of shows in '93 Izzy was around for. In the middle east and England I think? In Slash's book he mentioned Izzy rejoined for a few gigs because there really wasn't anyone else to call. Slash makes it sound like Izzy was just checking things out to see how the band was operating. Apparently it wasn't enough to his liking to consider a full-time comeback.

Axl called him out after he left because Axl's opinion on just about everyone changes hour to hour.

Edited by Bards

I would love to know what Izzy did that upset Axl to such an extent that a lot of Double Talkin' Jive's were dedicated out of spite.

There was a thread about this some years ago and if I remember correctly it had something to do with money but I can't remember much.

Izzy came back to help out and have fun but when he realised the guys were still in a state he made sure he got a good paycheck out of it.

I can't remember if I read that in the older thread I mentioned or a book.

I'm glad the two of them are friends again. When Izzy appeared in New York five years ago with Guns it was special moment.

OK, so let's discuss this: http://www.helium.com/items/2041402-why-izzy-stradlin-left-guns-n-roses

is there any proof to number 2,3 and 4?

In interviews over the next few years, Izzy Stradlin cited many different reasons to explain why he left the band. Here are a few of the things he mentioned:

1. He had become sober and didn’t really fit into the band any more.

In 1989, Izzy cleaned up. From this point and onwards, he felt somehow out of the band because Slash and Duff were doing drugs heavily. Axl, meanwhile, had drifted off and had less and less to do with the band. In this situation, Izzy felt the band had moved from being a bunch of friends and towards being something that did not make any sense anymore.

2. He was tired of paying money because Axl Rose wanted to go on stage late.

From 1991 and onwards, Axl began going on stage late. At first, he’d apologize for this, but over time, he stopped apologizing and it became part of the package. The result was that the whole band had to pay overtime fines. Izzy disliked this and felt that the person responsible should be the one to pay the fine. It’s unknown whether he ever confronted Axl on this issue.

3. He didn’t really feel that he took much part in the band much any more. Creatively Use Your Illusion had become a very different album than he had imagined. Izzy’s time working on Use Your Illusion took only a few weeks. After that, he left the band and when he came back, the album was very different from what he had taken part in.

4. He felt offended by being offered a contract by Axl that would cut the amount of money he’d receive. At some point in 1991, Axl offered Izzy a contract that would see Izzy’s share of the royalties from the band’s albums reduced sharply. The reasoning was that Izzy worked less than other members. Izzy felt that this was just another sign that the band was moving in the wrong direction. The band was becoming a business – and that was never his goal.

5. Guns n’ Roses had turned into a band that went beyond his ambitions.

Izzy many times hinted that he felt more comfortable playing smaller venues than stadiums and arenas. With the band becoming as big as it did, playing clubs and smaller venues no longer was an alternative and Izzy was feeling out of it.

I don't think their relationship is clear right now. I do realize he did a couple of shows with Axl and helped around with some songs with New GNR in the studio for future albums... but still i don't see a great trust from Axl on Izzy. As a matter of fact in one of his interviews, you can read Axl clearly stating that he's not very comfortable working with Izzy on other terms then the ones they have agreed in 2006, which means Axl clearly doesn't trust him.

Axl doesn't see Izzy capable of doing the tour kind of thing, he doesn't trust Izzy to be there at all times, and that's why they made that kind of agreement... If Izzy shows up all fine and dandy... if he doesn't show up, we're not expecting it anyways.... that's the kind of deal Axl had with Izzy.

I'm not blaming either for that. Not Axl, not Izzy, but it's clear that they're not the best of buddies... they may be friends, but they're not as close as people might think right now, which is normal due to so many years without talking...

I remember reading about the contract thing that izzy would receive a pay cut,but I thought it was because of the live shows.Axl complained izzy wasn't putting much into them.

It's unfair that Axl wanted to cut his paycheck... i mean Axl stated many times that most of the time the dude was so fucked up at the shows that he would start playing the wrong songs and they had to turn off his amp in order to get the show going.

Theorically he wasn't doing a good job... but if u wanna start picking on that, u would have to cut Slash's paycheck... i mean there's shows you can't understand what the dude is playing and he's also fucked up...there's shows where Axl fucked up his lines as well, or fucked up the whole show with his drama... that doesn't give any rights to anyone to start cutting the paycheck.

They were a band they should have acted like a band. Paychecks are not to be messed around with... that's where the confusion starts. I love Axl but he was selfish and greedy on what paychecks are concerned. I see no reason for that since he still made a lot of fuckin money...

And apparently Axl was pissed that Izzy negotiated a deal with the record company to do so.

From what I understand Axl didn't really get into that deal or know much about it, other than it was done. I want to say I read somewhere that Axl didn't even want to know what he was getting paid and he was ok with just doing the shows with him.

When Izzy appeared in New York five years ago with Guns it was special moment.

Not only does that make me feel older, but that makes me sad a bit. I enjoyed 2006 so much, all the GN'R shows (with Bach and Izzy), Axl on T.V., Eddie Trunk, etc.

If Axl was in charge of the contracts and paychecks like you just said, that is not compatible with where you said "They were a band they should have acted like a band."

And where you said " Paychecks are not to be messed around with..." I feel you on that one mate! I've had bosses mess me around and it made me mad as hell! :devil: Down with incompetent authority!!!

A lot of information of their relationship can be gleaned from reading what they have said about each other through the years:

Quotes on Izzy from the other band members: http://gnr-afd.forumotion.com/t89-izzy-stradlin

Quote son Axl from the other band members: http://gnr-afd.forumotion.com/t90-axl-rose

They have definitely had a tumultuous relationship :)