Band working on new songs for Rio?

AxlIsGod.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hello my peeps,

I’m completely stoked that my record is finally out there, and want to thank all of you who have bought it so far. For those of you looking for it on vinyl, there was a production snafu and it’s now looking like the LPs will hit stores in November, just in time for Christmas. In the meantime, it’s available digitally and on CD, and if your local record store isn’t carrying it, tell them that they can order it from Redeye Distribution.

Also, in case you haven’t heard, a portion of the money you spend on my record will go directly to the Timkatec Schools in Haiti. This photo shows a three-story building that was a two-story building when we went down there for their graduation in July of 2010. The third story was built with the money raised in the auction last year. I can’t begin to say tell you how good this makes me feel, and I can’t wait to contribute more and I encourage you to as well at Timkatec.org.

We had a great time playing shows we over the last month, and look forward to doing a whole lot more in the future. There were lot of bonuses along the way — We had to re-order the CD twice because it kept selling out, we had a great in-store show at Main Street Music in Philly (I can’t wait to do more of those), and I met all sorts of nice people. I also figured out that as much as I want to play guitar on stage, it’s best that I stick to bass, as well as lay off the pizza and jellybeans.

After Hurricane Irene forced us to postpone the Providence and Boston shows, Tim, Jon, Emily and myself stocked up on survival supplies and came back to our house in upstate New York to weather the storm and started recording some new songs. It was my first time recording a whole band in my new digs. I am very stoked at how quickly and easily it was to work with these guys and we’ll definitely be doing a lot more of it in the new year.

Thats all for now. I’ve gotta get back to workin’ up some GNR tunes for Rock in Rio. Whoa…stay tuned.

t

Source: http://tommystinson.com/

OMG D:

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

I’ve gotta get back to workin’ up some GNR tunes for Rock in Rio.

Could simply be a reference to rehearsals (which might of course entail “new songs”).

I wouldn't take it as that there definately are gonna be new songs played. Is there a possibility? Of course, but at the same time it is very possible there won't be any new songs either. It would be a great avenue to debut a couple of new tunes considering the huge crowd and the fact that we will get a pro-shot soundboard version of it

Edited by WhazUp

Surely if it was just rehearsal or setlist changes from already released songs then it wouldnt be like "Woah, stay tuned" ? If it was a normal rehearsal he would have said "doing rehearsal with guns for rio" Surely?

Agreed. Tommy's been in the band since 1998. I'm pretty sure he has Pardise City, Jungle and SOD down. ;)

Surely if it was just rehearsal or setlist changes from already released songs then it wouldnt be like "Woah, stay tuned" ? If it was a normal rehearsal he would have said "doing rehearsal with guns for rio" Surely?

Agreed. Tommy's been in the band since 1998. I'm pretty sure he has Pardise City, Jungle and SOD down. ;)

haha, Definately.

Axl is always the final word. Even if they're rehearsing new songs, we shouldn't hold our breaths.

If I recall correctly, 'Prostitute' was on the planned setlist in 2006 but they never played.

Yes, and instead they played other new songs? they'll probably rehearse a few songs.

Axl is always the final word. Even if they're rehearsing new songs, we shouldn't hold our breaths.

If I recall correctly, 'Prostitute' was on the planned setlist in 2006 but they never played.

Yes, and instead they played other new songs? they'll probably rehearse a few songs.

If Axl doesn't feel like singing new songs it's not gonna happen, you know the man. I'm going to Rock In Rio expecting a great show. If they play new material, great; if not, i'll be happy too.

Misinterpretation plain and simple. Although I do believe they'll play atleast one new song, nowhere in this statement did Tommy give the notion that they're practicing new material. He's only stating band rehearsal is coming.

Read it again, did he say they were rehearsing? No, he said "working on gnr tunes for rio, Woah stay tuned"

Also, in case you haven’t heard, a portion of the money you spend on my record will go directly to the Timkatec Schools in Haiti. This photo shows a three-story building that was a two-story building when we went down there for their graduation in July of 2010. The third story was built with the money raised in the auction last year. I can’t begin to say tell you how good this makes me feel, and I can’t wait to contribute more and I encourage you to as well at Timkatec.org.

I like this

Misinterpretation plain and simple. Although I do believe they'll play atleast one new song, nowhere in this statement did Tommy give the notion that they're practicing new material. He's only stating band rehearsal is coming.

Read it again, did he say they were rehearsing? No, he said "working on gnr tunes for rio, Woah stay tuned"

The only thing they're working on is their timing. You're getting triggerhappy and decided it was necessary to post a propaganda thread blowing what Tommy said out of proportion. They're rehearsing. No matter how you badly you want to believe he said "We're tuning on NEW songs". Topic over.

The only thing they're working on is their timing. You're getting triggerhappy and decided it was necessary to post a propaganda thread blowing what Tommy said out of proportion. They're rehearsing. No matter how you badly you want to believe he said "We're tuning on NEW songs". Topic over.

Ok bro

It doesn't say anything about new song being recorded, rehearsed, or to be played at Rio. But, even though that didn't happen, doesn't mean that GN'R can't play new songs at Rio, especially as he said "Whoa..stay tuned."

Remember a few months ago, when someone from GN'R was posting on the GN'R twitter and responded to a question about playing new songs at Rio, the responce was always prepping for something that we haven't done yet!" i think there some music lying around for that.

Even though this may be just about rehearsals, I still think there's a chance we get atleast one unreleased song at Rio. GN'R the last 2 times have played unreleased material at Rio, and seeing as though it's the biggest concert in the world, and will be streamed live to millions, what better plaace to reveal atleast one new song that Rock N' Rio.

you know, i've always thought you have the STUPIDEST signature i've ever seen, anywhere. :rofl-lol:

Edited by nambis

It doesn't say anything about new song being recorded, rehearsed, or to be played at Rio. But, even though that didn't happen, doesn't mean that GN'R can't play new songs at Rio, especially as he said "Whoa..stay tuned."

Remember a few months ago, when someone from GN'R was posting on the GN'R twitter and responded to a question about playing new songs at Rio, the responce was always prepping for something that we haven't done yet!" i think there some music lying around for that.

Even though this may be just about rehearsals, I still think there's a chance we get atleast one unreleased song at Rio. GN'R the last 2 times have played unreleased material at Rio, and seeing as though it's the biggest concert in the world, and will be streamed live to millions, what better plaace to reveal atleast one new song that Rock N' Rio.

Agreed. Rio's gonna be awesome, whether new songs are played or not. But, for better or for worse, the big question about whether the next album is going to come sooner than later hinges on whether new material is played at Rock In Rio. That much should be obvious. :shrugs:

what? whats wrong with it? lol

oops, that wasn't directed at you. it was directed at iftheworld... i just think that's 1) the lamest photo pose ever, 2) that jacket is silly as hell, and 3) the purple lightning background makes the whole thing over-the-top GAY (and by that, I don't mean homosexual).

Edited by nambis

Rio is special to Axl... GNR have been taking a "one-year vacation" (not the proper expression but you understand me), I doubt Axl has been sitting on his ass rehearsing the same songs for a year. Impossible.

I'm betting good money that he's spent the last months getting back to his best shape for Rio, slimer, different haircut or longer hair (he's very careful about his hair haha), and I'm pretty sure they'll play Chinese in its entirety or so, at least TWAT and/or Prostitute, and maybe a new song, or a very old song like Estranged. And of course This I Love will be a highlight of this show, they haven't played it live in Rio yet, same for Sorry, seems to me that Axl particularly enjoys those two live.

I'm really expecting a long show, 26-27 songs, and two or three songs rarely played live if not eve (The General or No love Remains and Estranged would be perfect imo). And an Axl madder than ever.

It's Axl's last huge opportunity to prove the world he exists better than ever and that you can still kick everyone else's ass when you're considered "old" or "has been", kind of like Rocky Balboa. He'll be 50 next year. He's still "young", he can still do it, I'm highly doubtful he'll still have it in 10 years but he's different from everyone else so who knows...

I'm sure this show will be wonderful whatever happens, having seen this line up last year live, they have no reason to fail Rio.