next album.....flowing or a mishmash

Apollo

What the fuck are you all talking about? I don't hear no cut and paste crap or a sloppy mixing job.....Chinese Democracy sounds fuckin' awesome (wether you like the songs or not) in my car sound system and in my home sound system :shrugs:

The actual sounds that are in the album are clear, dynamic, and sound great. I wish more modern albums would sound like that instead of being loud and compressed. But I can hear in songs where certain vocals are being punched in (and it is a fact that it happened, the demos and early leaks are clear evidence). And regardless of that, it boggles my mind how in CITR they take piano and vocal takes from 1999, guitar tracks from 2007, and who knows when the other tracks were recorded, and put them all together. The songwriting isn't the problem in this instance, it is the execution of the ideas that IMO could have gone better

I think we can find common ground in that we both like these songs and this album better than 99% of the crap that somehow passes for rock these days. On other issues,we can agree to disagree.Can appreciate you do have knowledge of what protools are capable of,and can see the vast progress from the recording of the analog 60's to the digital massive multitracks available today.

Absolutely, protools is fantastic and recording technology is better than ever IMO. The only issue is when it is not utilized properly, and I am glad that at least Chinese Democracy takes the more "clear sound and a lot of dynamics" approach. A lot of modern recordings (Death Magnetic by Metallica is the posterboy for this) are compressed so much that there is no dynamics as well as there being audible distortion as a result.

What the fuck are you all talking about? I don't hear no cut and paste crap or a sloppy mixing job.....Chinese Democracy sounds fuckin' awesome (wether you like the songs or not) in my car sound system and in my home sound system :shrugs:

The actual sounds that are in the album are clear, dynamic, and sound great. I wish more modern albums would sound like that instead of being loud and compressed. But I can hear in songs where certain vocals are being punched in (and it is a fact that it happened, the demos and early leaks are clear evidence). And regardless of that, it boggles my mind how in CITR they take piano and vocal takes from 1999, guitar tracks from 2007, and who knows when the other tracks were recorded, and put them all together. The songwriting isn't the problem in this instance, it is the execution of the ideas that IMO could have gone better

I think we can find common ground in that we both like these songs and this album better than 99% of the crap that somehow passes for rock these days. On other issues,we can agree to disagree.Can appreciate you do have knowledge of what protools are capable of,and can see the vast progress from the recording of the analog 60's to the digital massive multitracks available today.

Absolutely, protools is fantastic and recording technology is better than ever IMO. The only issue is when it is not utilized properly, and I am glad that at least Chinese Democracy takes the more "clear sound and a lot of dynamics" approach. A lot of modern recordings (Death Magnetic by Metallica is the posterboy for this) are compressed so much that there is no dynamics as well as there being audible distortion as a result.

You read my mind on that one,had Metallica in my sights for an example of what not to do.

So I guess the justa beaver fans,and the rest of mainstream mediocrity today can be deprived of our support. :)

I hope it has a great flow to it. CD to me just needed better studio takes and songs that went well together. Individually the songs are good but as an album IMO it was missing the flow that the truly great albums have. A lot of it has to do with the copy and paste nature of the album mixed with old studio takes that should have been kept in the 90's. So I hope this new album is truly "new" and not just a releasing of the vault (I would love for the past stuff to be released but not as a new album, maybe as a box set or something).

if the studio takes were left in the 90's Axl's voice would sound way different if he were to have re-recorded them just before the release.

I love it just the way it is.

I love CD and the diversity in the songs. But it really doesn't flow that well and seems like it was just random songs thrown together to fill out an album.

Shacklers doesn't sound like it would normally be on the same album as a prostitute or street of dreams.

Do u all think CD songs were specifically picked for the album? Or do u think Axl really has 30-70 songs and some songs were forced to CD (like if a song leaked, it was put on CD).

Do u think the next album will be a flowing one....orvwill it be an extreme mixture of different sounds?

Or maybe Axl does the double album again? One filled with songs like shacklers, oh my god, silkworms. And then one with the old school illusions type songs like catcher and Twat?

I'll take whatever I can get at this point. Although it sounds negative, I mean that in a very positive way. I truly look at Guns as artists, and as such I appreciate anything an artist would like to share. I just like Axl's singing timbre and cadence to be quite honest. Of course I dig all the musicianship that the others bring to the table as well. I watched the WTTJ rehearsal vid like 10 times before they pulled it down.

I hope it has a great flow to it. CD to me just needed better studio takes and songs that went well together. Individually the songs are good but as an album IMO it was missing the flow that the truly great albums have. A lot of it has to do with the copy and paste nature of the album mixed with old studio takes that should have been kept in the 90's. So I hope this new album is truly "new" and not just a releasing of the vault (I would love for the past stuff to be released but not as a new album, maybe as a box set or something).

if the studio takes were left in the 90's Axl's voice would sound way different if he were to have re-recorded them just before the release.

I love it just the way it is.

Exactly my point, his voice sound soooo much better now IMO I hated his late 90's / early 200's voice, he sounds fantastic nowadays

it just get progressively more epic on each side. but I do like 4 or 5 rockers in a row to really get things going. then an epic ballad.

I like the diversity,personally.And I like the layers of music,not fond of the "cut and paste" term. Music and the way it is made,mixed and produced is simply different now.I don't see the advantages of going back to analog four-track recording that was used in the 60's.

Don't get me wrong I think when used properly stuff like protools and other digital recording methods are fantastic ways to record

But you can HEAR the spliced up vocal tracks and the instruments being punched in on the album, and that is the problem. Great songs - horribly executed IMO

Listen to the end of CD, the final chorus in Riad, and the final vocal parts on Sod - it is soo obvious that pieces of the vocals are punched into the original track.

I love complex layered music but this goes beyond that in a negative way

Totally agree. It's there, it's hard to believe that some do not hear it.

I'd strip it back too. A more modern sound is fine, but all this layering and effects IMO takes away from the music. It's a distraction, the music loses focus and rawness and becomes detached in a way. If you can incorporate that stuff without the negatives then that's fine, but if it hurts the music then there's a problem.

Agreed with whoever gave the Axl props for mastering the record properly. The compression on albums like Metallica's and RHCP's to try to win over the mp3 generation is just killing music. Hopefully GN'R continue with the right approach for the forthcoming album(s).

Edited by KBear

it just get progressively more epic on each side. but I do like 4 or 5 rockers in a row to really get things going. then an epic ballad.

I like the diversity,personally.And I like the layers of music,not fond of the "cut and paste" term. Music and the way it is made,mixed and produced is simply different now.I don't see the advantages of going back to analog four-track recording that was used in the 60's.

Don't get me wrong I think when used properly stuff like protools and other digital recording methods are fantastic ways to record

But you can HEAR the spliced up vocal tracks and the instruments being punched in on the album, and that is the problem. Great songs - horribly executed IMO

Listen to the end of CD, the final chorus in Riad, and the final vocal parts on Sod - it is soo obvious that pieces of the vocals are punched into the original track.

I'd strip it back too. A more modern sound is fine, but all this layering and effects IMO takes away from the music. It's a distraction, the music loses focus and rawness and becomes detached in a way. If you can incorporate that stuff without the negatives then that's fine, but if it hurts the music then there's a problem.

Agreed with whoever gave the Axl props for mastering the record properly. The compression on albums like Metallica's and RHCP's to try to win over the mp3 generation is just killing music. Hopefully GN'R continue with the right approach for the forthcoming album(s).

I believe credit goes to Whazup for pointing out the Death Magnetic Compression problematic issue during our brief but pleasant discussion on Pro Tools. :)

I believe credit goes to Whazup for pointing out the Death Magnetic Compression problematic issue during our brief but pleasant discussion on Pro Tools. :)

Even though we may disagree on certain things its nice to be able to have an intelligent conversation about things we do agree on lol