Why do you think Axl is so gun shy?

ITW 2012

Why do you think Axl is so gun shy? I get that the record company probably isn't interested in releasing another New GNR album, but what is stopping Axl from playing some new songs on this tour? Do you think he's just been waiting to get his voice back before debuting new songs?

Edited by ITW 2012

Part of it may well be two things; if you watch videos of all his shows, no matter how good his voice is he struggles a little with some of the new material, much more than the classics. It's much more technically difficult stuff so that might be part of it. The other part may just be a time issue, he consistently plays over 2 hours a night to fit in the classic hits and be able to throw in some ChiDem material, it would be quite the exercise to add yet more material to the set which people aren't even familiar with and has no planned release date.

How many threads about this is necessary?

As many as possible until something new gets played.

:sleeper:

I'm sorry? I didn't know there was a problem with people being hopeful and optimistic. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with having hope and optimism, just having a new thread every 2 minutes about wanting new songs is kinda annoying. We get it.

Why is he gun shy? Ohhhh, I don't know. Maybe because half of the last album leaked last time? Maybe because in this day in age debuting 3 new songs is the same as those songs being leaked because of youtube?

I think that's the reason why he's not going to give anything new and I don't blame him. Keep it locked up until you're ready to release it.

Why do you think Axl is so gun shy? I get that the record company probably isn't interested in releasing another New GNR album, but what is stopping Axl from playing some new songs on this tour? Do you think he's just been waiting to get his voice back before debuting new songs?

Axl is mercurial and yet very intentional. Yet it would seem lately there are signs something is happening. Look for the followup to Chinese Democracy to be less pretty and digitally sounding, but still rich and textured.

Axl is mercurial and yet very intentional. Yet it would seem lately there are signs something is happening. Look for the followup to Chinese Democracy to be less pretty and digitally sounding, but still rich and textured.

I was kind of hoping he'd still release the heavy electonica stuff he talked about back in the late 90's.

You musn't forget your rock n roll roots, young padawan. And I never said anything about the fuckin white stripes. I posted a Thin Lizzy song. So there.

At least give me a wee bit o credit for not posting "The boys are back in town" or "jailbreak."

What I don't understand is, what's the problem with a song getting heard live? Songs by bands are supposed to be heard. "It's like a song leaking these days if you play it live..."

Well yes and no. See I get the leaks being an issue because people may hear versions of songs that aren't ready/how you want them to be. A Live representation is always going to be different so it doesn't matter. It's road testing a song, maybe seeing what works what doesn't and taking the learnings into the studio.

BUT still my over all question in point is: What's the problem with people hearing your music. Unless it's shit and embarrassing I don't get the problem. People will always illegally download songs before/after an official release anyway. So sales won't be affected, unless it's shit and will put them off buying the album. But again you shouldn't be releasing shit songs.

Get the music out there if you're proud of it. get people wanting a new album and maybe the record company will forget about the chinese democracy album and support a new release. I get the fact that Axl is out of shape and his voice is rubbish at the moment, so if that's the case, then do what someone else suggested and release a song for free on your website, or release it via iTunes for 80p and get some buzz going.

These ideas have been around forever and GNR never take them up so there's no reason they will now. There are no reasons why new songs are played except for the decision of Axl, and no doubt it's the fact he has no confidence in the songs, himself, and the music business/press anymore.