To: GnR Guitarists

W 23 Axl III

I think the 3 guys do a good job of splitting parts up etc.

I have one major complaint and I think others may too.....

When they go to hit certain notes that are bent, for example....the first note of the first NR solo (is that 4tus?).....or the Estranged parts over "So nobody ever told ya baby, how it was gonna be..."....

....those are just 2 examples.......but...

they are taking just a split second extra to get from the starting note (in NR for example, the first note is bent from a G to an A) to the bent note......I dont want to start a Slash fight, but Slash would just bend that note from G to A instantly, and right on pitch. These guys are taking longer to get from the original note to the bent note, and its not sounding the way its supposed to.

The most blatant example is 4tus on the first NR solo. But it happens throughout by all 3 of them. If you play guitar you know what I mean here....they just dont seem as confident bending those notes and just going with it, they slowly bend so as to ensure they get the destination note right, but the slow bends just dont sound as good.

I get what you mean, but I see it as more them trying to put their own spin on it to make it their own. I'd rather that then have any of them try to directly copy Slash.

The only one that sound a little weird to me I have to admit is Fortus' November Rain solo. It doesn't sound bad, just different since I'm so used to the original. Sometimes when I play the song I find myself doing what Fortus does unknowingly. It messed with my mind. :lol:

I get what you mean, but I see it as more them trying to put their own spin on it to make it their own. I'd rather that then have any of them try to directly copy Slash.

The only one that sound a little weird to me I have to admit is Fortus' November Rain solo. It doesn't sound bad, just different since I'm so used to the original. Sometimes when I play the song I find myself doing what Fortus does unknowingly. It messed with my mind. :lol:

Exactly.

itstimetostoppostingCat.jpg

:lol:

Exactly.

This. They aren't exactly amateur players.

I am not saying they are amateurs - and I get that they are trying to put their own spin on it. Its just that some of those bends are hard for me to listen to. Especially that first NR solo - I'd be happier if he just slid from the G to the A, instead of that slow bend. We are talking about nano-seconds here, but it doesnt sound right.

If you play guitar and know the intro to Since Ive Been Loving You by Zep....the 5th note is the bend from Bb to C....if you are slow on the bend, or sharp, or flat, it wont sound right. In GNR, noone is really sharp or flat (although DJ's guitar is out of tune sometimes)...its just those slow bends that kill some solos for me.

One thing about Slash, those bends are always on point. Full of confidence with feeling/balls behind it. He may have flubbed some bends (ala Robin) or made blatant mistakes, but the bends were always right on, exactly matching the album version.

Takes talent to bend strings to perfect pitch almost 100% of the time!

I am not saying they are amateurs - and I get that they are trying to put their own spin on it. Its just that some of those bends are hard for me to listen to. Especially that first NR solo - I'd be happier if he just slid from the G to the A, instead of that slow bend. We are talking about nano-seconds here, but it doesnt sound right.

One thing about Slash, those bends are always on point. Full of confidence with feeling/balls behind it. He may have flubbed some bends (ala Robin) or made blatant mistakes, but the bends were always right on, exactly matching the album version.

Takes talent to bend strings to perfect pitch almost 100% of the time!

I don't accept the majority of your premise. Sounds like you have a little agenda. Whether it be known to your conscious mind or not is still up for debate. But your subconscious needs to be checked, and I'm going to bring you back to reality. ; )

This whole business about "some of those bends are hard for [you] to listen to" is a load of crap. If you are a true GnR fan, then you know that Slash was perhaps one of the sloppiest players when it came to live shows. I can post 100's, yes 100's of videos of Slash out of tune, screwing up multiple parts of a guitar passage multiple times during a concert. So your hyperbolic drama-queen statement about the current batch of guitarists' bending techniques being hard to listen to is a complete pile of bullshit. Now, I don't hate Slash. I like the contrast he brought to Izzy and Axl. But let's be real here: he botched a ton of his own guitar passages. Nowadays, he's a much better player because he's not all smacked out and drunk. So in the context of the new millenium, your premise holds just a few grains more worth of weight. But back in the day, I hate to break it to you, but sometimes his playing was downright embarrassing.

Also, I don't quite understand how Slash "may have flubbed some bends [and] made blatant mistakes", and yet at the same time be "always right on, exactly matching the album version." Utter bullshit.

Go to youtube right now. As i said, I can show you 100's of videos where Slash plays in a manner, which, to quote you "is hard to listen to."

You can look through rose-colored glasses all you want, but the reality is perhaps hard for you to handle, thus we get this freudian denial of a thread from you.

It's all about feeling if you're a player who plays for the right reasons, sure Slash made mistakes but he always felt what he was playing. These guys are playing his material and doing it great justice with their own feeling imo and they are under about 1000% more pressure than him with the context and they play it with their own spin and style whilst retaining the original emotion, it's not easy to do so something like this I just feel is really not an issue but everyone's allowed an opinion bro.

Slash isn't an option for Axl these day, so he has to make do :D

Axl isn't an option for Slash these days, so he has to make do.

Too bad for Slash that any GnR song he chooses to play doesn't sound right without Axl. Whoops! But we thank you for coming to this site. It's posters like you who keep this place in business with all the time you spend here. ; ) Keep comin back for more.

Take the reins off and let them rock and do their thing, Axl, or either reunite please. I feel if he doesnt get creative on this tour soon and unleash some mind-blowing new shit, it's starting to hurt the name Gnr.

Nah. Gn'R is doing fine. The shows just keep getting better and better, a new interview is on the horizon and people who actually go to the shows are loving it. :thumbsup:

I noticed missed bends that take the notes off key and such, but that's what you get when you're flinging the guitar around putting on a show and not playing the solo with more attention. Doesn't ruin the songs for me or anything, and guitarist are going to fuck up live.