Duff DID call Axl a Dictator..

HowlinWolf

It did happen.. Quick, check it out before Jarmo makes the article disappear.

HF : After you finished the tour with NO, the medias started to talk about line-up problems in Guns N’ Roses. Was this the beginning of the band’s downfall?

D : Everything started when Slash turned his back and said : « This is shit. » [referring to their musical differences.] He and Axl didn’t talk to each other anymore. It had become quite irrational.

HF : The communication between them?

D : Yes. I was always in the middle, the one both came to see, and I got the impression I arbitrated little kids’ quarrels. Matt was never a full member of the band, he was on an ejector seat and Axl said : « I’m gonna fire him. » I answered that this decision required more than one person to be taken since we were a band, that he alone didn’t own the majority. All of this because Matt told him he was wrong. The truth is, Matt was right, and Axl wrong indeed.

HF : Wrong about what?

D : About schedules and the way Axl was late for the next album. Susan, my girlfriend, was pregnant. We were going to have a baby, but this band was becoming a dictatorship, everything had to get done in Axl’s way or it wouldn’t get done at all. It wasn’t like that when we started out. At one point, we were offered a huge sum of money to play a concert in Germany. I thought : « I never played for money and I’m not gonna start now! ». I’ve got a house, I’m secure financially. Post-Neurotic was the worst moment of my career in Guns. I went out for dinner with Axl and I told him : « Enough is enough. This band is a dictatorship and I don’t see myself playing in those conditions. Find someone else. »

HF : Why did Axl become so egomaniac and arrogant?

D : Because many people around him maintain him in that state of mind. They kept telling him he was right. Some of them feared him cause they were scared they were gonna lose their job. It’s as simple as that. I don’t want to do anything that goes against what I am now. I’m honest with myself and with the people surrounding me. Had I stayed with Axl, I would have acted against my personality. And nothing worse could ever happen to me. In this story, the real losers are Guns N’ Roses fans, unfortunately.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=26

Edited by HowlinWolf

Duff is playing some kind of game these days. In his book he glosses over certain things. And it is interesting to note that in Axl's interview he questions his meeting last November with Duff as being coinsedence. I have always said Duff would make an excellent politician.

Duff is playing some kind of game these days. In his book he glosses over certain things. And it is interesting to note that in Axl's interview he questions his meeting last November with Duff as being coinsedence. I have always said Duff would make an excellent politician.

That was the way Duff felt.. Time has went by and I am sure he just wants to forgive and move on.. It was a long time ago. It is just comical that Axl will never EVER accept blame for anything. There meeting may have not been a coincidence but I doubt it was Duff's doing.. Maybe his wife or something? I think if Duff wanted to talk to Axl, he would have just called him.

I don't believe that's been transcribed accurately.

While some of the semantics and phrasing are the same as the ORIGINAL transcript of this interview, others have been mysteriously altered. And in a case like this, semantics matter. Accuracy matters.

Someone needs to post the actual interview transcription.

Duff's roots are old school punk rock, so that's where the "I don't play for money" thing comes from. But you can tell he doesn't like playing for free, either. The night he joined GNR on stage.. it's still work, and everyone else was making a nice chunk of change except him.

I think it's hard not to be bitter about some things, but then you look at the bigger picture, and that outweighs everything. The beginning of the band, the rise to the top, and getting to do what you love. But when you don't love it anymore, and start destroying yourself? You're going to have bittersweet memories about it as well.

Most bands have a 7-10 year life span, and he lasted pretty long with Axl. By the time he left, he was prob. bummed out, but then he just took his bass and went elsewhere. One door closes, another opens.

Once Axl rejected Slash's songs, the band as we knew it was over. They stopped compromising. They just became older, wealthier, and stopped giving a shit about each others' opinions & suggestions. But the real dislike towards Slash seemed to happen much after that. I think there was something Slash said in an interview that Axl responded to, something about when they first became famous, but can't remember what it was.

Duff's roots are old school punk rock, so that's where the "I don't play for money" thing comes from. But you can tell he doesn't like playing for free, either. The night he joined GNR on stage.. it's still work, and everyone else was making a nice chunk of change except him.

I think it's hard not to be bitter about some things, but then you look at the bigger picture, and that outweighs everything. The beginning of the band, the rise to the top, and getting to do what you love. But when you don't love it anymore, and start destroying yourself? You're going to have bittersweet memories about it as well.

Most bands have a 7-10 year life span, and he lasted pretty long with Axl. By the time he left, he was prob. bummed out, but then he just took his bass and went elsewhere. One door closes, another opens.

Once Axl rejected Slash's songs, the band as we knew it was over. They stopped compromising. They just became older, wealthier, and stopped giving a shit about each others' opinions & suggestions. But the real dislike towards Slash seemed to happen much after that. I think there was something Slash said in an interview that Axl responded to, something about when they first became famous, but can't remember what it was.

+1

Axl thinks the whole world is conspiring against him.

This pretty much sums up Axl's life.

Exactly, which is why I take anything and everything Axl says with many grains of salt. I think anyone with half a mind can figure out what the problem is by now. It's interesting though to hear Axl's perspective whenever we get the chance.

Axl thinks the whole world is conspiring against him.

This pretty much sums up Axl's life.

Exactly, which is why I take anything and everything Axl says with many grains of salt. I think anyone with half a mind can figure out what the problem is by now. It's interesting though to hear Axl's perspective whenever we get the chance.

I don't think any of the past members of GNR are wrong They all have their opinions and sides of the story.

Don Henley: 'there's 3 sides to a story, yours, mine, and the cold hard truth"

I don't believe that's been transcribed accurately.

While some of the semantics and phrasing are the same as the ORIGINAL transcript of this interview, others have been mysteriously altered. And in a case like this, semantics matter. Accuracy matters.

Someone needs to post the actual interview transcription.

As you requested.....

HF : After you finished the tour with NO, the medias started to talk about line-up problems in Guns N’ Roses. Was this the beginning of the band’s downfall?

D : Everything started when Slash turned his back and said : "This is shit". [referring to their musical differences.] He and Axl didn’t talk to each other anymore. It had become quite irrational.

HF : The communication between them?

D : Yes. I was always in the middle, the one both came to see, and I got the impression I arbitrated little kids’ quarrels. Matt was never a full member of the band, he was on an ejector seat and Axl said : "I’m gonna fire him". I answered that this decision required more than one person to be taken since we were a band, that he alone didn’t own the majority. All of this because Matt told him he was wrong. The truth is, Matt was right, and Axl wrong indeed.

HF : Wrong about what?

D : About schedules and the way Axl was late for the next album. Susan, my girlfriend, was pregnant. We were going to have a baby, but this band was becoming a dictatorship, everything had to get done in Axl’s way or it wouldn’t get done at all. It wasn’t like that when we started out. At one point, we were offered a huge sum of money to play a concert in Germany. I thought : "I never played for money and I’m not gonna start now!". I’ve got a house, I’m secure financially. Post-Neurotic was the worst moment of my career in Guns. I went out for dinner with Axl and I told him : "Enough is enough. This band is a dictatorship and I don’t see myself playing in those conditions. Find someone else."

HF : Why did Axl become so egomaniac and arrogant?

D : Because many people around him maintain him in that state of mind. They kept telling him he was right. Some of them feared him cause they were scared they were gonna lose their job. It’s as simple as that. I don’t want to do anything that goes against what I am now. I’m honest with myself and with the people surrounding me. Had I stayed with Axl, I would have acted against my personality. And nothing worse could ever happen to me. In this story, the real losers are Guns N’ Roses fans, unfortunately.

http://duffmckaganonline.tripod.com/interview.html

Boom!

Actually, I'm kinda shocked by this thread. The band is out there giving us what we want. A fantastic tour, A 3 hour show and

playing almost every song we want to hear. Really there's nothing to complain about here. Take this to the 'former gunners' section.

Edited by 31illusion

Who cares?

Just people who want to continually stir up crap from 15 or 20 years ago to show what a bad guy Axl is.

Let me just end all future threads like this.

Axl was a prick and dictator. He let fame go to his head. Probably could be a complete egotistical prima donna jerk.

But he is the best rock singer out there, which is really what we should mostly care about.

Actually, I'm kinda shocked by this thread. The band is out there giving us what we want. A fantastic tour, A 3 hour show and

playing almost every song we want to hear. Really there's nothing to complain about here. Take this to the 'former gunners' section.

I agree!

Who cares?

Just people who want to continually stir up crap from 15 or 20 years ago to show what a bad guy Axl is.

Let me just end all future threads like this.

Axl was a prick and dictator. He let fame go to his head. Probably could be a complete egotistical prima donna jerk.

But he is the best rock singer out there, which is really what we should mostly care about.

This action please,its history and belongs in another section.

Things are looking good,there are scheduled gigs,and even a interview!!

Can we not inject negativity into each and every thread? <_<