Albany cancelled

k12

I was at the 2002 Albany show on the same date (day before Thanksgiving), and the turnout was decent as I recall. What better way to party with family/friends than a GNR show?! The Times Union is under new ownership since the 2002 show, and word is they don't allow the pyro setup GNR wanted to use.

I was also at the 2002 show and the venue was about half full from what I remember. I don't think there was anyone in the upper deck.

Also the TU center is not under new ownership. It is, and always has been owned by Albany county going back to when it first opened as the Knickerbocker arena in 1990. TU just has the naming rights which means they pay a boat load of money to put their name on the building.

It would be really shitty to cancel a show because of the pyro though.

I'm very confident that was not the reason it was cancelled. I saw AC/DC there less than 2 years ago and there were plenty of pyrotechnics.

Like I said in a previous post this was definitely cancelled due to poor ticket sales. I was on ticket master Monday evening & there were still floor seats & lower level seats available. How have the other shows been selling? Are they selling out? Albany is a rather large college city so it's possible there were a lot people who left the area for the holiday.

Edited by Chewy2

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When All Is Said and Done.. to coin a phrase ;P - Robin Finck was the ideal one to see GN'R into it's new era, an industrial direction. With the current 2011 line up, I sense that direction is no longer. Axl's backtracked. AC/DC tunes are being covered. Other than Chris Pittman, how can Silk worms ever fit in ?

Thankfully!!!!!!

I'd much rather have an AC/DC type direction - straightforward rock and roll songs, rather than an industrial album.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Axl's backtracked.

I don’t think the traditional nature of present GN’R indicates a recent resignation on Axl’s part. The label simply wouldn’t swallow industrial GN’R & and a result Chinese Democracy was subject to an extensive dilution. The finished product was a rock album.

This better not be the start of numerous cancellations.....or at least not the Vegas NYE show....fuck, I will fucking blow a fucking gasket.fuck.

I know how you feel!

It was good though that they said "the rest of the dates will be done as scheduled" though in the statement.

Chris's voice will still be heard on future releases if there ever will be any. Unless of course he leaves the band then any future release will be more straightforward. Would be a shame because I really liked If The World which the co-wrote.

I think Chris was a bigger influence in industrial music than Robin was.

I was at the 2002 Albany show on the same date (day before Thanksgiving), and the turnout was decent as I recall. What better way to party with family/friends than a GNR show?! The Times Union is under new ownership since the 2002 show, and word is they don't allow the pyro setup GNR wanted to use.

I was also at the 2002 show and the venue was about half full from what I remember. I don't think there was anyone in the upper deck.

Also the TU center is not under new ownership. It is, and always has been owned by Albany county going back to when it first opened as the Knickerbocker arena in 1990. TU just has the naming rights which means they pay a boat load of money to put their name on the building.

It would be really shitty to cancel a show because of the pyro though.

I'm very confident that was not the reason it was cancelled. I saw AC/DC there less than 2 years ago and there were plenty of pyrotechnics.

Like I said in a previous post this was definitely cancelled due to poor ticket sales. I was on ticket master Monday evening & there were still floor seats & lower level seats available. How have the other shows been selling? Are they selling out? Albany is a rather large college city so it's possible there were a lot people who left the area for the holiday.

Hey...you're wrong, and while you're at it....go f u c k yourself. Happy Holidays!

Chris's voice will still be heard on future releases if there ever will be any. Unless of course he leaves the band then any future release will be more straightforward. Would be a shame because I really liked If The World which the co-wrote.

I think Chris was a bigger influence in industrial music than Robin was.

Don't worry Pitman isn't going anywhere. he's sorta the class clown in GNR, he only leaves if he wants too. Axl loves using synth in hi music going back to illusions and Pitman is one of the most well known guys to use that stuff. He's a computer junky too and Axl loves keeping up with all the new "tools" available.

Axl's backtracked.

I don’t think the traditional nature of present GN’R indicates a recent resignation on Axl’s part. The label simply wouldn’t swallow industrial GN’R & and a result Chinese Democracy was subject to an extensive dilution. The finished product was a rock album.

this is a very good post. I honestly think that a large part of the reworking of Chinese was the label. It seems obvious that Axl was ready in 2002 and 2006 with the tours to release the album.

God if we could only listen to either the 1999 album and the 2002 album that we've heard things about from Freese and Zutaut. I would imagine they are very good.

Freese has played with everybody and said (about the 99-00 stuff) that he believed in the music.

This better not be the start of numerous cancellations.....or at least not the Vegas NYE show....fuck, I will fucking blow a fucking gasket.fuck.

Just stop with the ultimatums and speculations,its not helpful.

When you go spend over 400 dollars on tickets and travel expenses and shows start getting cancelled, let me know how you fuckin feel :thumbsup: I don't give a shit whether or not my speculation is helpful to others. I'm voicing my frustrations on a FORUM. Deal with it dude.

Hey...you're wrong, and while you're at it....go f u c k yourself. Happy Holidays!

Ooo-k. I don't even know where to begin with this. I wasn't attacking you so I'm not sure why you're so angry. And what is it that I'm wrong about? I don't know for sure that it was cancelled due to low ticket sales but I do know for a fact that it was not cancelled due to a ban on pyrotechnics. I know someone who works there who gets me free tickets to a lot of events. He said he has not heard yet the actual reason it was cancelled but the venue does not have a ban on pyro's.

When you go spend over 400 dollars on tickets and travel expenses and shows start getting cancelled, let me know how you fuckin feel :thumbsup: I don't give a shit whether or not my speculation is helpful to others. I'm voicing my frustrations on a FORUM. Deal with it dude.

Get your money back?

Shit happens man. That's life.

Could be worst, you could be starving living in a cardboard box.

Not everybody has the luxury of losing $400 and then saying, "Aw shucks! Well, shit happens! I'll just take $400 out of my socks and see the next show!"

You people need to stop acting like inconveniences are so trivial. Inconveniences really fuck people over. Not just a slight fuck up, but a major fuck up. And if you can sit there and say that if you lost $400, you'd just shrug and say, "Whatever," you're either crazy, rich, or just irresponsible.

Shit happens man. That's life.

Could be worst, you could be starving living in a cardboard box.

Not everybody has the luxury of losing $400 and then saying, "Aw shucks! Well, shit happens! I'll just take $400 out of my socks and see the next show!"

You people need to stop acting like inconveniences are so trivial. Inconveniences really fuck people over. Not just a slight fuck up, but a major fuck up. And if you can sit there and say that if you lost $400, you'd just shrug and say, "Whatever," you're either crazy, rich, or just irresponsible.

Well, most people would simply get their money back. Tickets are refundable. Nobody lost $400.

Airplane tickets aren't...usually refundable (unless someone like, dies), nor are hotels when you buy in a package. 1600 dollars is a lot to say aw, shucks about. GNR tickets are the least of the expenses when you're talking about NYE. So... lets get the tour on again tomorrow =)

Guys have some respect for those that are out $$$ please, I realize not all of us had a show cancelled but some users have, and they are upset about it.

I feel bad for those that this happened to I wish there was something nice I could say to ease the pain of missing their favorite band and loosing any ammounts of $$ :(

Have some respect for those users that lost in some way :)

What is strange about that last minute cancellation, is the fact that on the tour shirts and poster, the date is not even there!

Yeah saw that too but it was because the date was added later, it also says Toronto on the 28th when it should be Hamilton

Guys have some respect for those that are out $$$ please, I realize not all of us had a show cancelled but some users have, and they are upset about it.

I feel bad for those that this happened to I wish there was something nice I could say to ease the pain of missing their favorite band and loosing any ammounts of $$ :(

Have some respect for those users that lost in some way :)

What is strange about that last minute cancellation, is the fact that on the tour shirts and poster, the date is not even there!

Yeah saw that too but it was because the date was added later, it also says Toronto on the 28th when it should be Hamilton

Thanks

:)

• 4 weeks later...