Richard Fortus is/was in Thin Lizzy?!

GunsNRevolvers2

Obviously Thin Lizzy's heyday was way before my time as I'm only 19 but I've been a fan of their stuff via my dad. I don't consider myself a huge fan, I spin the Jailbreak album every now and again and I absolutely don't follow the band at all these days, though I know they're still touring.

But I was watching this video of Whiskey In The Jar from 2011 and all of the sudden I see Fortus up there, I spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any!

What's the story with this?

I'm mad at Thin Lizzy. They stole Damon Johnson from Alice Cooper, and he got replaced with Orianthi :angry:

I don't think anyone in Lizzy is an original member.

LOL shouldn't they then just be another band now? Rather than sucking on the teet that feeds...?

I'm mad at Thin Lizzy. They stole Damon Johnson from Alice Cooper, and he got replaced with Orianthi :angry:

Orianthi is a pretty solid player IMO.

Doesn't matter how good she is, she's not right for Alice Cooper at all. She literally stands there and plays, no energy whatsoever compared to the rest of the band. She doesn't look like she's having fun at all. Not to mention she's replacing Damon Johnson, who in my opinion is the most charismatic guitarist Alice has ever had in his band.

Edited by Powerage5

Nobody left in lynyrd skynyrd is either and you never hear anyone bitching about it like they do about gnr. Well of course the skynyrd ones died, which may be a difference though. But regardless the fans are much crazier at skynyrd concerts than gnr ones now.

Nobody left in lynyrd skynyrd is either and you never hear anyone bitching about it like they do about gnr. Well of course the skynyrd ones died, which may be a difference though. But regardless the fans are much crazier at skynyrd concerts than gnr ones now.

Depends on the band really. Many fans see Ronnie in his brother. Plus they still play the old songs. Southerners are more forgiving.

Edited by BirdCatcher

Doesn't matter how good she is, she's not right for Alice Cooper at all. She literally stands there and plays, no energy whatsoever compared to the rest of the band. She doesn't look like she's having fun at all. Not to mention she's replacing Damon Johnson, who in my opinion is the most charismatic guitarist Alice has ever had in his band.

I always liked Keri Kelly, he's gone now though hasn't he?

Edit: The Thin Lizzy Deal - It was originally the guy from Def Leppard (Vivian Campbell) that was the guitarist in the "New" Thin Lizzy, but he left to go on the road with Def Lep, so they got Fortus and now they got a new guy.

Edited by Binge_And_Slash

I always liked Keri Kelly, he's gone now though hasn't he?

Edit: The Thin Lizzy Deal - It was originally the guy from Def Leppard (Vivian Campbell) that was the guitarist in the "New" Thin Lizzy, but he left to go on the road with Def Lep, so they got Fortus and now they got a new guy.

Yea, Keri left at the end of last year. He was always one of my favorite Alice guitarists too. But I've learned to love Tommy Henrikson and Steve Hunter throughout this year.

Even when Skynyrd "was Skynyrd" they had a lot of band changes. Ronnie passing would've been like GNR in a plane crash in 92 and it wound up Axl , Matt, and Dizzy dying along with the backup singers, some of the road crew, but everyone else injured. Would GNR have gone on with another singer, maybe get Sebastian Bach at that time, have Izzy rejoin, and bring Steven back in the band? Hard to say. Most of the band did live, and could've carried on. Ronnie's brother Johnny was 16-17 when it happened, Donnie was already in 38 Special but didn't sing at that time as far as I know, but the Van Zant brothers did put music out.

Skynyrd had band changes going on every year, way more than GNR. I think after Billy Powell passed, maybe it was time to call it a day though. Steve Gaines was a tragedy because he was only in the band for a year and really had potential talent to have gone on to be a big player in his own right. All you have are some pre-Skynyrd and Street Survivors to base any of that on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lynyrd_Skynyrd_band_members

I don't see a problem with the reconfigured Thin Lizzy, it's not being done to replace Phil by any means. It's more about the songs than the players.

With Skynyrd, Johnny was able to sing the songs properly, he looks and sounds a lot like his brother, the musicians wanted to keep the name going. and that was a big reason why they decided to put it together again - just without the short temper and made it more a family friendly show. It'll never be the original, but as I said, they had way more changes than GNR did. What kind of sucked was when Skynyrd did get back together, Collins had just been paralyzed the year before and they wheeled him out at the first reunion shows, and couldn't play guitar anymore. He died a few years later.