Matt Sorum on the GNR HOF induction

holyhat00

Haven't seen this video yet, and if it's in the wrong section, mods feel free to move/delete.

Matt explains how he found out, and his hopes for the event:

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/triplem-music/video/matt-sorum-on-guns-n-roses-in-rock-hall-of-fame-713774#ooid=1qeTg4MzqjUaVKDWKhAt53GXh-34931B

There's also a cool video on this site where Matt explains the last days of GNR, and how Chinese Democracy (or at least its musical direction) was GNR's ultimate undoing.

Edited by holyhat00

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gee-wizz what a boring guy. Shouldnt even be on HOF list, he was just a hired hand/grade B drum machine (sure sounded like one).

Musical un-doing...

Oh you're cool

No I am not.

But dont dread on me newbie.

its funny how he says the group wasn't liking the direction axl was taking but then the guns n roses "ended" and they're the ones doing shitty music or music with no originality at all while axl has made an epic record...

and matt sorum always had a big mouth...he's such a loser looking for atention and he still he think's hes going to get invited for the hof ?? come on...for me its the afd line up or the actual line up...

I still don't get the Sorum hate. My favorite UYI songs are what they are in (large) part because of his drumming.

You have to remember what Axl said and thinks of him. That's how we form our opinions on people and music around these parts.

Oh shut the fuck up. You'd love to believe that was the case, but the truth is you're full of shit. At least GnrDuff asked a question about it, instead of calling the entire forum Axlites. I swear knife-chase, you're probably the alt of some long-ago banned poster.

Here's the deal: Sorum's a boring drummer. And his timbre sucks. lol. Seriously.

If you can't hear it, then you're tone deaf. When I was 12 years old and the UYI records came out, I INSTANTLY recognized that something was amiss with the drums and drumming on the Use Your Illusion albums. Listen to his kit- his snare drum is basically mistuned- it's off-pitch, midrangey sounding, and let's be honest- Sorum used triggers on stage, Adler didn't. Boom. Beyond the actual sound of Sorum's kit, his style was just very boring. He's no fun to air-drum to, save for a few songs (you could be mine among them). Adler's style and timbre are infectious. Sure, Steve's a drug addict and is not the most revered drummer in the world, but godamnit, he knows what rock n roll drumming is.

Also, part of the Sorum hate is that he's a bit smug and douchey. Kinda like Gilbey.

But anyway, it was nice of Steve to call Matt and let him know about the rock n roll of fame. Classy move.

Edited by Popcorn's Timbre

Never really understood all the Matt hate to be honest. Some of his drumming in UYI was great :shrugs:

Seems like a lot of peoples' noses are out of joint because he is getting inducted into the HOF. 'He's just a drummer', 'he's a hired hand', 'he didn't contribute enough'... blah blah blah. Then the same people praise DJ Ashaba and Bumblefoot in other threads. Quite ironic.

He may be 'just a drummer', but as it stands, Matt has contirbuted WAY more to the legacy of GNR than DJ Ashba has. So people need to be a bit more objective and grow up

LA

Edited by LA_0013

The sound of Sorum's drums on the record very well could have been out of his hands. That big boomy/bass like/flat sounding sound could have been tampered with after. None of his other recordings are like that and he's a beast on sounds like Slither and Illegal I Song. Old guns: November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, etc etc etc. Who tinkered with the sounds of UYI for months and months after the record was done? Sorum? Nah, he played his parts for like one month and was done. He comes across to me as sort of shy and humble, not as a douche and an evil prick like so many try to pin him as.

Mind you, his nineties hair WAS douchey x 10012931203.

I'm full of shit? Whoever Axl rags on instantly falls out of favour around here. Suddenly Hulk Hogan sucks, Gene Simmons sucks, Eagles of Death Metal suck, even Kurt Cobain sucks to some around here JUST because Axl had a beef with him (yes some members even admitted that like it wasn't idiotic), same with Vince Neil, Dave Grohl sucks, the members of the old band who Axl hasn't made up with suck but for some reason Duff and Izzy are back on the forum's good side after playing with Axl but Sorum, Gilby, Slash, and Adler aren't. I wonder why...

Hey there, not sure if you actually read my post, but maybe you wanna re-read the part where I assert Sorum used triggers during live gigs and Adler didn't. Whattya think of that, buddy? I wasn't just talking about the UYI albums. And yes I know about the Axl quote where he laments how the drums were mixed on UYI, or something akin to that. I never said he's evil. In fact, I should say that I suppose he's a nice guy, and I fully acknowledge that he should get in the R&RHOF. I do not dispute that. But, do me a favor. Watch Paradise City at the Ritz [listen to steve's snare drum], then watch any gig with Sorum and Paradise City. Do ya see a difference?

You can keep calling the forum full of clones, but I assure, I am not one of them. So don't lump us all in one boat, mmkay?

Oh and Gilby WILL ALWAYS BE A DOUCHE. Always. There is no debate.

P.S.

You should find the video on youtube of an interviewer asking Izzy about the new drums. Notice Izzy's response- he pauses, laughs, stumbles through his answer. Why? Cuz he didn't dig Sorum's sound.

Never really understood all the Matt hate to be honest. Some of his drumming in UYI was great :shrugs:

Seems like a lot of peoples' noses are out of joint because he is getting inducted into the HOF. 'He's just a drummer', 'he's a hired hand', 'he didn't contribute enough'... blah blah blah. Then the same people praise DJ Ashaba and Bumblefoot in other threads. Quite ironic.

He may be 'just a drummer', but as it stands, Matt has contirbuted way more to the legacy of GNR than DJ Ashba has. So people need to be a bit more objective and grow up

LA

Okay I don't hate him. He seems like a cool guy, although I still think he's a bit too smug for his own good. I never said anything like all your made-up quotes. I acknowledge he should totally get in. I may be a big fan of Adler, but even I admit Adler's um, not very reliable. I was very pro-Adler, then I saw Sober House and I was like "this is the exact shit that got him kicked out of the band."

And for the record, I never made any comments about DJ's contributions. Matt is a part of the legacy and I acknowledge this. I just wish he would tune his snare drum like Steven's, ya dig?