Metal Evolution

Zint

There is not much Banger Films' Sam Dunn and Scot McFayden don't know about metal. The Canadian filmmakers began their historical and psychological dig into the oft maligned music genre with the intelligent and respectful 'Metal: A Headbanger's Journey' in 2005 and followed it with the socio-political culture-crossing 'Global Metal' in 2008.

The focused 'Iron Maiden: Flight 666' and 'Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage' came next, and now a comprehensive 11-part made-for-TV series, 'Metal Evolution,' which already started airing on VH1 Classic in the States in Canada on MuchMoreMusic on Nov. 25.

Metal Evolution presents 11 episodes based on the ground-breaking Heavy Metal Family Tree. This 26 sub-genre genealogical chart reveals the vast complex progeny of heavy metal from Early Metal and Shock Rock to Thrash, from Progressive Metal to Grunge and Nu Metal. Using the Chart as his road map, host/producer and metalhead turned anthropologist Sam Dunn, crisscrossed the globe exploring the vast history of heavy metal across its 40+ year history and beyond. From bars and back alleys to the biggest open air festivals, Sam will visit the pioneers of British and American hard rock who laid metals sonic foundation, as well as the current leaders of contemporary metal. Whether you love metal, documentaries or just great stories, Metal Evolution is the ultimate examination into the history of Heavy Metal music.

Drawing on the expertise of a whole team of musicians, journalists, academics, and producers, Sam will explore the questions heavy metal fans have always wanted to ask. A highlight of the series will be Sams in-depth discussions with many of heavy metals most important and influential personalities. From Alice Cooper to Slash, Lemmy to Rob Zombie and members of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Slayer, Van Halen, Def Leppard, The Stooges, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, Poison, Rage Against The Machine, Alice In Chains, Korn, and many more, Sam will investigate the history, myths and intricacies of Metal.

VH1

Much More Music

Finally finished watching this today.

It was pretty good.

At times it was really good,at times it left me wanting more.

For an 11 part series at times it felt...uh...a little skimpy.

But...they are billing this as "Season One",so perhaps it will get a little further beneath the surface if there is indeed further seasons.

If you consider it as an extention of their other docs then yeah,it's pretty rounded out.

All in all though,I really enjoyed it and I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out.

Anybody else seen this?

hey, the stooges belong to punk, don't try and steal the stooges!

But proto-punk bands like The Stooges, MC5, etc. helped contribute to the concept of metal.

I've just seen bits and pieces of it...I found the segment on Dick Dale really interesting. Even being a massive Dick Dale fan, I'd never thought of his music contributing to the evolution of metal in any way, other than that he was really the first true guitar virtuoso.

Edited by Powerage5

There's a lot people don't know about the history of metal and Ken Burns isn't going to tackle it, so this was a pretty cool series, and now you have to explain how some bands from 69 would be classified as "metal" bands when they sounded more like really loud variations of blues and jazz.

i watched it through the power metal episode i like most of it their are some things i dont get for instance the whole "shock rock" category he puts alice cooper,arthur brown,venom,king diamond, kiss in the same category. first off venom is part of the first wave of black metal along with mercyful fate and bathory(among others) alice,arthur brown,kiss could be in this category but king diamond is metal which he should be put into the speed metal category( which i dont think he has)

i know everyones metal tree would be different and i know some bands are hard to label but venom/king diamond should be placed in other categories

Sam Dunn is an expert on the stuff, I wouldn't question him.

Seriously though, it looks like there was a lot of deliberation and thought put into the categories, if those bands are where they are, there's probably a good reason.

of course he took alot of time but the weird thing is if you look at his metal evolution tree and his headbangers journey tree they are different. in headbangers journey he lists venom, mercyful fate, bathory(rightfully so) in the category of "first wave of black metal" and now in metal evolution he has venom in shock rock. in the headbangers journey he has shock rock as alice cooper,white zombie,ozzy osbourne,kiss.

i like the documentary and how he is promoting metal but having venom anywhere but in the black metal category doesnt make any sense and lumping king diamond and venom being metal bands with alice cooper and kiss being non metal bands is just weird to put it mildly

Sam Dunn is an expert on the stuff, I wouldn't question him.

Yeah and you know what project they are working on now??

Alice Cooper!!

From the beginning up to the 80's comeback!

:) B) :) B)

that is beyond awesome! cannot wait.

They hope to have it ready for TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival).

So they are looking at a September release.