Slash shares songwriting stories about Appetite For Destruction

Original GNR

As part of a longer interview, Slash was asked about the songwriting behind some of the Appetite tracks. I'm only posting that part of the interview as the rest is obviously not Guns N Roses related. I'll be posting the full interview in the Former Gunners sections.

April 12, 2012

ML: During your GNR days, you’re credited with helping to write some of rock music’s all-time greatest songs and favorites of our site. Is there anything that you can tell our fans about the lyric and songwriting process that went into staple songs like “Welcome To The Jungle”, “Sweet Child O’ Mine”, “Paradise City”…

Slash: With lyrics, that was very much an Axl thing. I always thought he was such a great lyricist. Those three songs, there was a riff there, and we got together and sort of fleshed out an arrangement for the songs. Axl may or may not have lyrics in his mind already when we do that. I think in the case of “Welcome To The Jungle”, he did.

ML: So they basically just started off of a riff?

Slash: Yeah, well, [“Welcome To The Jungle”] started off as a riff, but I think he had the lyrics in mind already. When he heard that riff and the rest of the band started putting together the song, it started to come. That’s my recollection of it. “Sweet Child O’ Mine” started with a riff, and I hadn’t even really expected anything to come of it. Izzy started playing some guitar chords underneath it and it just all of a sudden blossomed into a song.

The thing about the first Guns record [Appetite For Destruction] is that all these songs came together musically really quickly, like, in a matter of hours. They almost wrote themselves. And Axl may or may not have had the lyrics in mind already. “Paradise City” was pretty spontaneous, that all happened all sort of at the same time. I remember writing it in the van on the way from San Francisco to LA for a gig, and coming up with the chords and the chorus. I think it’s one of the few melodies I made up for vocals with Guns N Roses, and that turned into where Axl started writing lyrics for it. Sometimes Axl will ruminate over a lyric for a long time after the songs are structured, and that was also the case with [vocalist] Myles [Kennedy] on my last record, he came up with melodies to the music and then the lyrics really didn’t come until we actually started to record the record.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/blog/2012/04/12/interview-slash-talks-songwriting-new-album-and-fave-collaborators/

Edited by Original GNR

Inb4 "Slash never wrote anything for Guns"

Yeah I predict this thread is going to be filled with pointless arguments of people lessening Slash's importance and other people going off on Axl - when in reality nobody is going to convince anyone that they are right because it is more about these pointless arguments than it is about the actual music here.

Anyways, I always like reading stuff about the AFD days, it really fascinates me to read about the genesis of such a great record :thumbsup:

Plug plug plug the new album

Lol. The interview was primarily about his new album. They then asked a question about GNR. Don't see how it's a "plug" when the interview was for promo of his new album anyway. This was just a small part of a longer interview.

Edited by Original GNR

Guest gunns5

Lol. The interview was primarily about his new album. They then asked a question about GNR. Don't see how it's a "plug" when the interview was for promo of his new album anyway. This was just a small part of a longer interview.

and talking about gnr is a large part of the plug

He was asked the question. What did you want him to do?

By now he has to know it comes with the territory. If he makes a public appearance or sits down for an interview, people will ask GN'R questions whether it's the past or reunion stuff. If he was bothered about it he could request no Guns questions be asked.

Slash doesn't ask himself the questions. Do you get upset when someone asks Joe Montana abiut the 49ers?

Guest gunns5

Slash doesn't ask himself the questions. Do you get upset when someone asks Joe Montana abiut the 49ers?

your assuming Slash doesn't know about the questions before hand, the majority of interviews have preset questions or stipulations from the interviewee about what can or can't be asked.

Why are we arguing about this? I don't get what the issue is...

Whether or not Slash should answer questions about GN'R?

I just thought it was cool of him to talk about it.

Yeah same here, I love reading about those days and the process of making such a great debut album

Yeah, it is one of my favorite behind the scenes ever. I love reading about its history on how it came to be (and argue how it can ever be repeated). When Slash says the music was written within hours, it was just that their living is constant inspiration, they had enough music for two albums. You get into it than listen and go "damn, no wonder they didn't last long"

Cool of Slash to give credit where it's due. I think that Axl's an amazing lyricist myself.

Are you okay Damn_Smooth? :shocked:

Yeah man, thanks for asking.

I can't completely hate someone that was responsible for some of my favorite songs on earth, and I really thought it was cool of him to give credit to Axl when he didn't have to.

Edited by Damn_Smooth