The prospect of Myles Kennedy fronting a GNR offshoot

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-slash-on-closing-the-book-on-guns-n-roses-at-the-hall-of-fame-20120425?print=true

The other way of looking at is that with Myles, you sound good doing those songs. That could be a thing.

Slash: No, I don’t think it went that way. It’s way too complicated an idea at this point, but it was fun doing it. It was definitely a special moment for everybody involved, going up there and jamming those songs. I wasn’t totally sure, you’ve probably heard this a million times, the sort of whole concept of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction prior to doing it, it was like there’s so much bad blood that’s gone on over the last 25 years, it was hard to appreciate it. So it was hard to get excited about it, but once we were actually there, it was a really, really cool event, and there was a sense of accomplishment at that point, doing the actual acceptance and going out and playing

Myles Kennedy himself fronts Alter Bridge, which was formed after the guys from Creed needed someone to sing after Scott Stapp launched a solo career.

The band that played at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sounded fucking amazing. It would be a shame if those guys didn't try to record together again (maybe even Izzy would get involved) and make new music.

Myles was recuited by Led Zeppelin for pretty much the same purpose a few years ago, but Robert Plant stepped in and refused to sign off on another singer replacing him.

Well, as long as it's not called "Guns N' Roses", I'd love to see a tour with Myles fronting Slash, Duff, Gilby, and maybe both Matt and Steven trading off on drums.

Adler and Slash both have solo tours booked until next year, but after that who knows.

At this point, if Axl is making me choose between New-GNR and Old-GNR with a new singer, Old-GNR would get my money.

Anyone else agree?

I don't know man. Axl Rose is Axl Rose. He doesn't sound anywhere near to what he used to but he's still Axl fuckin' Rose. I'm just happy with what we have today. I support Axl and his band, Slash and his band and so on. It's not like I would need to choose one of them either. I have enough money to pay to see both bands.

Why the need to pick one or the other? Why not both? Seriously, that's exactly the reason why there are so many idiotic fights around here! But anyway, it wouldn't work for me not if they play GnR songs anyway, Myles sucks on them... But that lineup with Myles (don't matter how boring he's as a frontman), his amazing voice and new music? I'm all on board, would love it!

Slash/Miles are coming to London (rock the park) Ontario (my city) this summer. the radio (FM96) is promoting it like crazy even using snipets of GNR songs. It's coming across almost as if the band's name is "SLASH".

The song "You're a lie" is also getting ton of airplay (in support of the concert).

No thanks. Would rather see Axl playing 3 hour shows with new guitarists who kill it on the old material, than see Velvet Revolver with a new lead singer with no balls singing the old Guns stuff

I don't know.

A couple years ago I would have agreed, but one of the latest web streams (Chicago I think) had me seriously questioning whether or not Axl should still be doing his thing. The recent tour has exposed them as a theater band, and Axl's vocals sound like shit most of the time.

Not saying the concerts aren't still fun, but on a technical level Axl's struggling to do justice to his songs.

Why the hell would anyone want this?...

Look, this was something which happened because of GN'R's induction into the ROHF. And it's something that was really cool for some people, but why on earth would you want these guys to form a band together and tour?, just for the sake of it?. The performance was nothing special TBH, and these guys would never have played together usually, if it wasn't for the accasion.

Let them carry on with their own seperate projects, it was something cool for one night, just leave it at that. :rolleyes:

No thanks. Would rather see Axl playing 3 hour shows with new guitarists who kill it on the old material, than see Velvet Revolver with a new lead singer with no balls singing the old Guns stuff

I don't know.

A couple years ago I would have agreed, but one of the latest web streams (Chicago I think) had me seriously questioning whether or not Axl should still be doing his thing. The recent tour has exposed them as a theater band, and Axl's vocals sound like shit most of the time.

Not saying the concerts aren't still fun, but on a technical level Axl's struggling to do justice to his songs.

He was sick that show, so that's a horrible example to use as a barometer for how he has sounded recently.

Ali

I'd be into this idea if Adler was the drummer and Izzy worked on music with them, at least in the studio. But realistically, this won't happen. It would basically be Velvet Revolver (Slash and Duff and Sorum) with Myles. Adler would be important to the sound, in my opinion. Yes, they did sound great at the R&R HoF. And if they called themselves Gn'R (which they legally can't), they'd be a more accurate representation of it than the current touring Guns.

Gilby to me has been as peripheral in Guns lore as Dizzy. They're both just sort of there.

I'm happy with Slash's solo stuff. Extremely happy. The big reason I never got too into VR is because I'm just not the biggest Weiland fan. Actually, I'm no fan at all.

I don't know man. Axl Rose is Axl Rose. He doesn't sound anywhere near to what he used to but he's still Axl fuckin' Rose. I'm just happy with what we have today. I support Axl and his band, Slash and his band and so on. It's not like I would need to choose one of them either. I have enough money to pay to see both bands.

This, pretty much.

Axl is on another level as a frontman. Or ... he used to be. I'm really disappointed in him lately. The two Guns shows I saw this and last year were INCREDIBLE, but watching them both back, his voice is so thin. Maybe that's why he's lower in the mix live. I have no idea.

Ideally, I'd love the old lineup to tour. That ain't gonna happen. So I don't really mind paying my cash to see Slash's solo stuff, Axl's Guns stuff, and so forth. I saw Adler's Appetite an hour out of Chicago in some since-shuttered Suburban club. I'd love to have the chance to see Loaded as well. And of course Izzy. But Izzy will never tour.

I don't know.

Axl was supposedly sick for this show, but every pro shot I've seen lately, he still has that really high-pitched/thin voice. As I just said above, live, his voice has been lower in the mix and he sounds great. I can't lie. He sounded GREAT. But I guess he can't hide when they turn him up in the mix on the streams. I don't know what it is either. He was pretty fn good in 2006. That was six years ago, right? He was also pretty incredible in 2010. Not so long ago.

People say Myles has no balls 'cause he can't hit Axl's lower range, but Axl can't hit the screeching stuff much anymore either.

He sounded good at the show I was at in 2011. The people I went to the show with are more casual fans of the old GNR, don't know much about the new band, and they thought that he killed it and commented on how he sounded much better than they expected. No doubt that his voice was not as strong last year as it was in 2010, but the same can be said of his performances during the AFD/UYI days; he had legs of those tours where he absolutely killed it and others that he didn't sound that good. Bottom line is that he has about as difficult a vocal style (and catalogue) to sing as anyone, especially when doing long shows night after night, and if he has voice problems or gets sick he just has to power through it. People have written him off before in terms of his vocal abilities live and he's come back strong, and I believe he can do it again.

As far as Myles, he may have a great voice on a technical level in terms of range, etc., but to me his voice is pretty boring (his vocals lack attitude/soul, his vocal melodies aren't at all interesting) and he has next to no presence or attitude at all as a live performer. He just kind of stands there.

Whereas Axl still has the intangible qualities of a great frontman that have become even more rare in the past couple of decades. Even if his voice is not 100% he is still captivating. A great frontman (not just singer) is a lot more rare than a great guitarist IMO.

To be honest Myles isn't one of my favorite frontman seen Myles live 6 times with slash and 3 times with Alter Bridge. Some shows have been pretty spectacular MTV Classic Melbourne, Sydney Hordern 2010, Brisbane Tivoli 2011 the other shows have been somewhat average vocally

I only saw Alter Bridge 3 times because they were on the same bill as Steel Panther B)

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

Guest gunns5

They'd sound better with just duff on vocals or someone new entirely, give it a fresh new spin, Miles voice and stage presence is kind of lackluster to me

The band that played at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sounded fucking amazing. It would be a shame if those guys didn't try to record together again (maybe even Izzy would get involved) and make new music.

Put down the kool aid. Myles sounds like every other frat-emo-rock voiced guy at an open mic. Even Slash knows it, as evidenced in his quote.

But you keep on keepin on with your crusade to... well I'm not exactly sure what your crusade is all about, but it sure is funny to watch you try so hard to cupcake. lmao

Guest gunns5

Miles kinda comes across as a good karaoke singer to me, he sounds like the original for the most part, but he just misses the mark in every other aspect of the performance :shrugs:

VR and Slash solo are pretty boring imo. Myles is a great singer but it's just not my style.

I would be very interested in a Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy line-up doing gnr stuff. Completely impossible, but that would be awesome.

Izzy is a great song-writer, Duff is great on bass and vocals too, Slash is Slash and Steven still has a great timbre. Even without Axl, they would be huge.

The HoF performance was great and better than some things Axl and New Gnr have done recently.

I won't take sides. I'd kill for a semi-complete GNR new band and a new GnR album, they are still some of the best musicians out there, the world would be a better place with both bands releasing new music.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-slash-on-closing-the-book-on-guns-n-roses-at-the-hall-of-fame-20120425?print=true

The other way of looking at is that with Myles, you sound good doing those songs. That could be a thing.

Slash: No, I don’t think it went that way. It’s way too complicated an idea at this point, but it was fun doing it. It was definitely a special moment for everybody involved, going up there and jamming those songs. I wasn’t totally sure, you’ve probably heard this a million times, the sort of whole concept of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction prior to doing it, it was like there’s so much bad blood that’s gone on over the last 25 years, it was hard to appreciate it. So it was hard to get excited about it, but once we were actually there, it was a really, really cool event, and there was a sense of accomplishment at that point, doing the actual acceptance and going out and playing

Myles Kennedy himself fronts Alter Bridge, which was formed after the guys from Creed needed someone to sing after Scott Stapp launched a solo career.

Myles was recuited by Led Zeppelin for pretty much the same purpose a few years ago, but Robert Plant stepped in and refused to sign off on another singer replacing him.

Well, as long as it's not called "Guns N' Roses", I'd love to see a tour with Myles fronting Slash, Duff, Gilby, and maybe both Matt and Steven trading off on drums.

Adler and Slash both have solo tours booked until next year, but after that who knows.

At this point, if Axl is making me choose between New-GNR and Old-GNR with a new singer, Old-GNR would get my money.

Anyone else agree?

Not this power ranger. Saw Axl 4 times since last Fall, and no one can touch him.

sorry, but as an AB fan since 2004 (and thus has followed Myles since then) I need to comment here. the way you phrase that makes it sound like AB was supposed to be a creed continuation which couldn't be further from the truth. the way Tremonti himself has said it was that they saw creed coming to an end (not because of stapp's solo career. that came as a result of the end of creed. not the other way around) and Mark and (drummer) Scott Phillips decided they wanted to continue playing together. they brought Brian Marshall (original and current creed bassist who wasn't in the band at the time they broke up) into AB and then Myles (who they pretty much knew right away they wanted to work with as they remembered him from when the Mayfield Four (Myles' band prior to AB) opened for creed in 98). they've worked hard the last 8yrs to separate AB from creed because they're 2 separate bands and that's the way the guys want it. you'll never hear creed at an AB show or vice versa. when Myles was completely integrated in the writing process and his guitar talent was fully utilized it completely changed their sound and I don't think Blackbird or ABIII sound like creed at all. really the only AB song that sounds to me like it could've been a creed 4 song (had it been done right after weathered instead of 5yrs after the band broke up) was AB's debut single, "open your eyes." which is why I think it took Metalingus to get my attention. never was nor am I now a creed fan. can't stand stapp's voice and vocals can make or break a band for me. break in this case. OYE just sounded too creed-y for me. now I've come to appreciate and love it, but my initial exposure was only hearing the chorus of open your eyes, so it didn't highlight the differences between Myles and stapp vocally like other parts of the song (and AB's repertoire as a whole) do.

agreed about the HOF performance, but as much as a Myles fan as I am, not sure I agree with the rest. obviously he already has a misleading rep for being a replacement, and this would only further that. tbh, as an MK fan I'm kinda annoyed by it. see below for further explanation.

again, not true. everyone seems to ignore the fact that Jimmy Page's rep released a statement within a month or so of the rumors about MK saying that what they were looking for was someone to front a new project. it'd have a new name with new material. no doubt they'd play LZ stuff on tour (much like Slash does at his shows with his back catalog), but they had no intention of touring as LZ without Plant. Plant not signing off on anything had nothing to do with that falling through. reports are that Page felt that singers were brought into the fold too early and the whole project just never came to fruition. again, not a replacement situation. just in a new band with 2 guys who were in a well known band together and the son of another member.

I don't think I've ever heard of Weiland being called a replacement when VR started. 3 of the guys he was in the band with were in GnR together. how does that make that situation all that different from Myles in AB and the proposed but unnamed LZ offshoot? fair question, right?

Myles goes back to AB. he and Mark, Brian and Scott have built that band, and I can't see him sacrificing that now to front this. the AB guys are already saying new album next year, so obviously that's the plan.

Anyone else agree?

that much I agree with, but as far as Myles being that guy? not sure. not if it's at the expense of Alter Bridge.

Put down the kool aid. Myles sounds like every other frat-emo-rock voiced guy at an open mic. Even Slash knows it' date=' as evidenced in his quote.

But you keep on keepin on with your crusade to... well I'm not exactly sure what your crusade is all about, but it sure is funny to watch you try so hard to cupcake. lmao[/quote']

I could turn that around on you and say stop drinking the haterade now couldn't I? it's all a matter of opinion. obviously Myles has plenty of fans and for good reason. you're obviously not one of them, but don't say the OP is cupcake because you don't agree. that's just ignorant and being a hater. what he posed was a valid idea. the OP hasn't been the first one to say something like that since the HOF performance. so all those people are cupcakes, too? give me a break.

Edited by uctalum01

Watching them play at the HOF was awesome.. Myles sounded really good and it was really special seeing Steven on the drums.. Just imagine how much cooler it would have been if Izzy were there too! I think it would be amazing to see them tour. Myles seems so layed back I bet Izzy would even have fun!