Axl can't win

saber_

Axl can't win.

If gnr releases a new album, people bitch about him using the band's name.

If gnr doesn't release a new album, people bitch he's neglecting the fans.

If gnr tours, people bitch he's not playing [xyz songs].

If gnr tours, people bitch he IS playing [xyz songs].

If gnr tours, people bitch it's a "cash grab."

If gnr doesn't tour, people bitch that he's wasting time.

If he doesn't do an interview, people bitch he's a recluse.

If he does do an interview, people bitch about his answers.

If he does a reunion gig, people bitch he's de-legitimizing the current band.

If he doesn't do a reunion, people bitch he's being spiteful.

Now of course these are generalizations. Still though, you've seen it on this very board- people bitch a lot. So, I pose the question to you: How can Axl win?

Yes but are people unfairly critical of Axl more often then other rich rock stars?

Yeah I guess they are, some of its fair and some is over the top. I do think Guns fans have more invested in him than other artists, at least it seems so.

I agree, not all criticism is unfair or unwarranted (lest I be labeled an Axl fanboy). Interesting point about Guns' fans being more invested in him- definitely something to ponder.

One thing I've noticed which vexes me to no end is that the people who seem the unhappiest about [fill-in-the-blank-complaint] seem to keep hanging around and continually voicing their disapproval to other fans.

Axl can't win.

Now of course these are generalizations. Still though, you've seen it on this very board- people bitch a lot. So, I pose the question to you: How can Axl win?

The fans will never be happy, because they all have different opinions.

Axl ca do an easy win for us on the forum by playing

A DIFFERENT,ROTATING SETLIST!

catcher,prostitute,twat every night.

more illuions 1 and 2.

no more cd,wttj,ise,mbs,sorry to start the show.it's over.

please...

how will people in Europe react to the same set as last time?

this is his by far easiest win.

Axl can't win.

That is correct.

Of course he cant win. Given the way hes been over the years it doesnt matter what he does someones going to think "oh shit, here we go again" rightfully or wrongfully so. I dont take sides in any case as im a fan of all members solo efforts and dont care what happens. Axl frustrates me with his reluctance to put out a non perfect record but hearing and seeing the man perform.... the guy is Amazing in his lyrics and diversity musically. you cant help but want more from him. Which leaves us in the situation we are in now.. waiting, debating, bashing.

So, I pose the question to you: How can Axl win?

There is no way he can win in the sense that it's impossible to please everybody...but that's valid for everybody.

There are plenty of ways for him to be more respected in general and to please his fans more :

-show your fans and your band respect by showing up on time

-release music

-rehearse with the band so they don't ridiculously outplay you like they did at RIR

Stuff like that...

I mean, there is so much more that he could achieve with the current lineup if only he gave it a try...

How can Axl win?

If he releases new music and returned to the old fashioned GNR sound.

if he does a reunion gig, people bitch he's de-legitimizing the current band

I thinkthis isn't really matter, if he does a reunion show.

Yes but are people unfairly critical of Axl more often then other rich rock stars?

unfairly? seriously?

OMG

you are the biggest Axl fan in the world if you think this. (and that isn't a good thing)

So, I pose the question to you: How can Axl win?

There is no way he can win in the sense that it's impossible to please everybody...but that's valid for everybody.

There are plenty of ways for him to be more respected in general and to please his fans more :

-show your fans and your band respect by showing up on time

-release music

-rehearse with the band so they don't ridiculously outplay you like they did at RIR

Stuff like that...

I mean, there is so much more that he could achieve with the current lineup if only he gave it a try...

This. I'm still burnt over the fact that he did not utilize the 2001 line up to their full potential. Had he have done this they still might be around. Of course this current line up rocks live, I don't have much faith in their studio abilities(sans Ron of course, although I would prefer Bucket). Frank, Ashba and Fortus are inferior to their predecessors in my humble opinion.

Axl can't win.

If gnr releases a new album, people bitch about him using the band's name. (these are not fans)

If gnr doesn't release a new album, people bitch he's neglecting the fans. (he's wasting time he should be touring a new album )

If gnr tours, people bitch he's not playing [xyz songs].(he's wasting time, by this time he should have new material to tour with than people wouldnt be bitching as much )

If gnr tours, people bitch he IS playing [xyz songs]. ( most of these people are just here for the recordings )

If gnr tours, people bitch it's a "cash grab." (not if it's in support of CDII, some of the CD stuff is being promoted for the last 10 years if not more)

If gnr doesn't tour, people bitch that he's wasting time. (not if he's recording or editing a the CDII stuf)

If he doesn't do an interview, people bitch he's a recluse. (he gets handled with gloves, everyone is affraid he's gonna get pissed)

If he does do an interview, people bitch about his answers. (he the interviewer isn't affraid to ask, people will get answer they want)

If he does a reunion gig, people bitch he's de-legitimizing the current band. (these are not fans of the current band, or they wouldnt spend much time on the boards)

If he doesn't do a reunion, people bitch he's being spiteful. (these are not fans of the current band only the old, they wouldnt spend much time on the boards)

I was wondering why Ashba, Fortus, Bumble and all the others want to play in todays GN'R. Ever thought of that? I can't really find any other reason than the money.

They're not much of a band, they never travel together. Axl shows up just before the gig. He goes on whenever he wants to go on. He decides which songs to play. He decides everything.. They really are just hired musicians that has to do whatever Axl decides in order to be a member of the band. I'm not trying to bitch about newGNR, I think they are awesome. But from a musicians point of view I can't understand why anyone would like to be a member of Axls band.

Axl can't win.

If you're asking how Axl should make decisions, it's simple. He should do what he wants while trying to maintain the majority of his fanbase. No musician can ever please everyone, because there's always gonna be a minority of fans with biased or just plain fucked up opinions making ridiculous requests/demands.

The majority of his fans:

Want a new album.

Want a tour that includes both new songs and classic hits.

Want him to be less reclusive.

He CAN do all of those things with minimum effort, personally benefit from them, make the majority of his fans very happy by doing them, and be happier himself for doing them.

I'm not gonna bother with the reunion thing, the only time I was really hoping it would happen was induction night but now I really don't give a fuck if Axl ever gets together with any of his former bandmates again. Life is all about timing, the one and only night he should have spent with his old bandmates was April 14th.

Axl can't win.

Excellent point. The truth is of course that he can't please the entire fan base since we have mutually incompatible wishes. It is just logically impossible. I bet he could please more fans though, by some measures as pointed out by others in this thread. But he doesn't do that. He doesn't care compromising his integrity towards pleasing fans. I kinda like that. I like artists who are true to themselves.

I was wondering why Ashba, Fortus, Bumble and all the others want to play in todays GN'R. Ever thought of that? I can't really find any other reason than the money.

They're not much of a band, they never travel together. Axl shows up just before the gig. He goes on whenever he wants to go on. He decides which songs to play. He decides everything.. They really are just hired musicians that has to do whatever Axl decides in order to be a member of the band. I'm not trying to bitch about newGNR, I think they are awesome. But from a musicians point of view I can't understand why anyone would like to be a member of Axls band.

Because they get to write and release music with a great collection of other musicians and play this music to large audiences over the entire world. Basically they are having a great time, and they say so themselves in interviews. And before someone chimes in with the nonsense about the band not releasing music: they did in 2008 and apparently are working on a new record this year, so shut up.

He can win by doing everything his way and not give a shit what people think.

You know what happens to people who don't give a shit about anyone else?

Eventually they come to realize that everyone else has stopped giving a shit about them.

Axl's like everyone else, caught up in this thing called life.

There's comes a time when you have to question what winning and loosing really means.

Everything turns to dust in the end.

Edited by vaida