The Official Blu-Ray Thread

Zint

Is the '86 World Series on Blu ray?

I could only find a decent looking collector's edition on DVD....nothing on Blu-Ray for the 1986 WS..... :shrugs:

Dontchu worry about dat 4K now, ya hear?

:lol:

I'm sure even if it does, it would be a while before Blu-Rays disappear.....people still buy DVD's today, for example.

Edited by Kasanova King

Question for you guys....I've been hearing a lot of this 4k technology that could eventually take over Blu-Ray. Can Blu-Rays hold enough data for the 4k technology or will another format prevail, rendering Blu-Ray obsolete?

Unless they really compress them 4K files would be too large for even a dual layer BR disc (128GB capacity) to handle so they will have to come up with a new disc media for them. But just as regular DVD's will play on HD players and are then upscaled the same goes for BR discs for 4K TV's. They will just be upscaled for 4K so they will not become obsolete.

Good articles to explain the 4K file size and benefits

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-entertainment/1290532/how-much-hard-disk-space-you-will-need-for-4k-video-files

Just and FYI most "audio/video experts" feel there is no real benefit to 4K over current HD until you get over an 85" TV screen size where pixel size can be visually noticeable or you sit very close to your TV........... :shrugs:

As if that is not confusing enough there is already 8K video in development so it may not be long before 4K is yesterdays news..............

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-ultra-hd/#!FSLSX

• Like 2

Question for you guys....I've been hearing a lot of this 4k technology that could eventually take over Blu-Ray. Can Blu-Rays hold enough data for the 4k technology or will another format prevail, rendering Blu-Ray obsolete?

Unless they really compress them 4K files would be too large for even a dual layer BR disc (128GB capacity) to handle so they will have to come up with a new disc media for them. But just as regular DVD's will play on HD players and are then upscaled the same goes for BR discs for 4K TV's. They will just be upscaled for 4K so they will not become obsolete.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-entertainment/1290532/how-much-hard-disk-space-you-will-need-for-4k-video-files

Just and FYI most "audio/video experts" feel there is no real benefit to 4K over current HD until you get over an 85" TV screen size where pixel size can be visually noticeable or you sit very close to your TV........... :shrugs:

As if that is not confusing enough there is already 8K video in development so it may not be long before 4K is yesterdays news..............

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-ultra-hd/#!FSLSX

And I would think that if a film isn't filmed in 4k (or 8k) technology, I can't see it appearing much better than on Blu-Ray.

Are they starting to film in 4k tech now?

Edit:

Just researched a little about it....

Apparently some cinematographers have chosen to record using 4k because even when reducing it to 2k (or further into Blu-Ray/DVD levels) it still retains better details...especially on people's hair...apparently. :shrugs:

But given that they are basically just starting to record in it now, I think it's safe to say that most of the current films available won't look that much better in 4k.

Edited by Kasanova King

And I would think that if a film isn't filmed in 4k (or 8k) technology, I can't see it appearing much better than on Blu-Ray.

Are they starting to film in 4k tech now?

Edit:

Just researched a little about it....

Apparently some cinematographers have chosen to record using 4k because even when reducing it to 2k (or further into Blu-Ray/DVD levels) it still retains better details...especially on people's hair...apparently. :shrugs:

But given that they are basically just starting to record in it now, I think it's safe to say that most of the current films available won't look that much better in 4k.

Most of the 4K content available is HD mastered to 4K so it was not shot in 4K but there are movies coming that will be shot in 4K like the Avatar sequel.

Here is an article arguing that you should buy a 4K set for your next TV

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/tv/11-reasons-why-your-next-tv-has-to-be-an-ultra-hd-4k-tv-1194486

And here is one arguing they are not worth the money so who knows?............ :shrugs:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

Edited by classicrawker

Most of the 4K content available is HD mastered to 4K so it was not shot in 4K but there are movies coming that will be shot in 4K like the Avatar sequel.

Here is an article arguing that you should buy a 4K set for your next TV

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/tv/11-reasons-why-your-next-tv-has-to-be-an-ultra-hd-4k-tv-1194486

And here is one arguing they are not worth the money so who knows?............ :shrugs:

One of my good friends recently bought a 60" + w/4k (it was at least that big...don't know the exact size)...and the sales guy at the store managed to convince him it was worth the near $6,000.00 price tag he paid for it. He later realized that Netflix is one of the few sources that currently broadcasts some titles in 4k.

The way I look at it...and this is the way it usually goes....by the time most sources broadcast in 4k, the televisions will come down substantially in price.

Edited by Kasanova King

I've done some basica research on the 4k debate....and several sources state that it's borderline useless....especially at current pricing levels.

Here's a brief synopsis (from the article)....

4K TVs are a waste. This is because...

2. The eye has a finite resolution

This is basic biology. The accepted "normal" vision is 20/20. In response to my previous articles on the stupidity of 4K TVs, many people argued they had better vision, or some other number should be used. This is like arguing doors should be bigger because there are tall people. Also, just because you have better vision, doesn't mean most people have better vision. If they did, it wouldn't be better, it would be average.

Try this. Go to the beach (or a big sandbox, or a baseball diamond). Sit down. Start counting how many grains of sand you can see next to you. Now do the same with the grains of sand by your feet. Try again with the sand far beyond your feet (like, say, 10 feet away). The fact that you can see individual grains near you, but not farther away is exactly what we're talking about here. The eye is analog. Randomly analog at that. So of course some people are going to see more detail than others, and at different distances, but 20/20 is what everyone knows, and it is by far the most logical place to start any discussion.

Is there some wiggle room thanks to variances in how people see? Yes, of course. Here's an awesome chart:

resolution_chart.jpg

Long story short....our eyes are analog...and most people have around 20/20 vision....which means most won't be able to tell the difference unless they're a few feet away.

Basically, for most people....current HD and Blu-Ray resolution is as good as it is going to get from normal viewing distances.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

Oh, the 4K talk is just pointless. I read about this almost everyday in blu-ray dedicated forums and I just don't see the reason why I, or anyone else should worry about this. 4K picture quality is amazing, as long as you have a 80+ inch HDTV, just like CW stated.

True HD quality is good and I personally love that, but what if it becomes too real?

• Like 1

Oh, the 4K talk is just pointless. I read about this almost everyday in blu-ray dedicated forums and I just don't see the reason why I, or anyone else should worry about this. 4K picture quality is amazing, as long as you have a 80+ inch HDTV, just like CW stated.

True HD quality is good and I personally love that, but what if it becomes too real?

These debates always make me think of one of my favorite episodes of the old TV show the Honeymooners............ :lol:

Full episode

Edited by classicrawker

Just finished watching the entire Matrix trilogy on Blu-Ray.....I watched the first two years ago....never really watched the 3rd.....other than pieces of it....I liked it overall.....it had it's ugh moments, but other than a few of those here and there....very entertaining series. I would say the trilogy is well worth watching on Blu-Ray.

Movies really are that much better on Blu-Ray. It's going to be difficult appreciating movies that stream in normal def....or in poor quality from now on..... :lol:

Just finished watching the entire Matrix trilogy on Blu-Ray.....I watched the first two years ago....never really watched the 3rd.....other than pieces of it....I liked it overall.....it had it's ugh moments, but other than a few of those here and there....very entertaining series. I would say the trilogy is well worth watching on Blu-Ray.

Movies really are that much better on Blu-Ray. It's going to be difficult appreciating movies that stream in normal def....or in poor quality from now on..... :lol:

Here's a helpful hint before buying blu-rays, check this site http://www.blu-ray.com/ for reviews of quality.

There are some truly shit transfers on blu-ray out there.

• Like 2

I just realized ever since I started collecting Blu-Rays, I haven't streamed any standard definition movies (like I usually do several times a week). It's almost as if I just can't go back to standard def. now.... :lol:

• Like 1

I just realized ever since I started collecting Blu-Rays, I haven't streamed any standard definition movies (like I usually do several times a week). It's almost as if I just can't go back to standard def. now.... :lol:

Once your eye gets used to high def, you just can't watch dvd the same way again.

But I still have to sometimes for b movies and stuff that isn't on blu.

Once your eye gets used to high def, you just can't watch dvd the same way again.

But I still have to sometimes for b movies and stuff that isn't on blu.

There really is a difference, especially movies with a lot of action and special effects. Some of the classics also look great after being transferred....just watched Goodfellas the other night and it looked great....the best I've ever seen it. It's amazing how many things you can catch (background scenery, textures of people's faces, etc) watching something in high def. for the first time.

I don't mind streaming shows in standard def....and movies on Netflix still look pretty good in high def. (but you can even tell the difference on those....not quite as good as Blu-Ray quality).