How do casual rock/music fans you know view CD?

Vincent Vega

the two people I knew about it just streamed it on myspace and took great pleasure in being indifferent. mainly because they thought that because it took so long and was hyped up that it was sort of cool to blow it off.

exactly, drives me insane, everyone and their mom was doing it when CD came out...without even finishing the whole record...sort of listening to 20 seconds of each track and then saying: 13 million and 17 years for this?????!!!!...I wouldn't even bother with people like that

I'll put my hand up now and admit that I was one of people that did that (though I did buy the album and didn't stream it online). Basically, I got the CD on the release date, listened to the first 30 secs before skipping to the next song and in the end all songs (bar TIL for some reason) I thought were shit. Almost a year later I stumbled across the album on my mp3 (I didn't even remember them as GnR ChiDem songs) and realised that I loved some of the songs (TWAT, Maddy, SOD, etc) so I wen't back and listened to the entier album and thought it was great! I think accidentally stumbling across it helped me form opinions about the songs more naturally, rather than getting caught-up in the hype and expecting something from it due to preconceived notions.

It's a very important album to me now because it provided an interesting learning curve for me as I realised just how subjective my musical tastes can be.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think CD "failed" (if it did, opinions vary) because of other factors, not because of the music. I know I'm bias because I love it, but I can't see how anyone can think it's a bad album. There was a negative stigma surrounding it, and, in typical GNR fashion, it didn't get a smooth release - no videos, no tour, no press, it just shows up one day...but the music, in my opinion, is great, it's just something people wanted to hate from the get-go...

Lol @ no press.

Anyway, I played it for a friend on the way back from a concert and she did nothing but laugh at every track. She couldn't believe hot bad TIL was, in particular. She also had a good laugh at Scraped, Shacklers and ITW. She couldn't believe Axl was singing those songs.

I live in vietnam. People are just ridiculous. They think GnR and CD suck and they haven't even listened to any CD song yet <_< , too many old GnR and Slash fan :violin: .

this is the general opinion because there wasn't promotion 4 the album

Was Shackler's released as a single, aside from Rockband? I had one friend who really didn't care for GNR, past or present at all. I played Shackler's in the car a lot and he got to like it. He thought Axl was a joke and acted like he wanted to listen to it to make fun of it, and intentionally mispronounced the name, but he did love the song.

Was Shackler's released as a single, aside from Rockband? I had one friend who really didn't care for GNR, past or present at all. I played Shackler's in the car a lot and he got to like it. He thought Axl was a joke and acted like he wanted to listen to it to make fun of it, and intentionally mispronounced the name, but he did love the song.

it's cool he loves shackler's cause shackler's is bucket's revenge LOL shackler's revenge is buckethead magic

How do the casual rock fans, or even casual music fans you know Chinese Democracy?

To everyone I know, that knows anything about the record, it is a big fat fucking joke.

and people still reference it when talking about huge mistakes in the show biz world.. or things taking too long. etc.

:(

Most my friends view it as "Big Foot" or something. An oddity and flat out incredible to them to this day that "Axl fired Slash and the rest of the band (save a lone keyboardist) and 'replaced' them with dudes named Buckethead, Bumblefoot and Brain.". It's not that they think it's bad per se- ther"y're just not able to relate it back to the band of our teens that dominated the world and toured with Metallica etc...

That said- I find almost all of them love "Sorry". Near universal acceptance and approval. Not a rocker- but maybe should have been the lead single?

One friend of mine who i always thought knew his stuff....loathes the album, lol, but it's probably just to spite me. He liked what he saw live in Camden last year though.

Other friends (guys & girls) I have gotten into Better, Street Of Dreams, If The World, and Sorry.

My current GF loves This I Love.

Most my friends are not into rock, only know NR, Don't Cry, SCOM, and such. Never heard of CD. And would not care for it.

The ones who do love rock are more into AC/DC, Rammstein etc. They think GNR is for girls <_<

(a little true, cause a lot of girls at the rotterdam concert ;) )

Edited by MBRose