Johnny Rotten on Axl Rose & Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Guest Len B'stard

How did you feel when Axl Rose refused induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? It was similar to what you did, when you wrote an open letter questioning the whole enterprise.

Good on him. I don’t know what his reasons were, but for any reason at all that’s good enough. It’s an act of real foolishness to walk into that nonsense. If you do, you know, you’ve been co-opted into the shitstem. Also, once they get that award, at that moldy museum, people seem to vanish

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/06/john-lydon-interview.html#ixzz1xHw0AJYu

Well...that was enlightening, weren't it? Thought i'd post it anyway. The Great One has previously been quite critical and contemptuous of Axl, in passing at least. I remember Axl was meant to be interviewed for Johns TV show Rotten TV but he backed out and John was taking the piss out of him at the show.

i don't know how it's good on axl. dizzy. or izzy. because slash, duff, matt, and steven showed up. they were there for the guns n roses induction. and they performed on stage. up and comer miles kennedy with guns n roses members slash, duff, matt, steven and gilby clarke performed guns n roses classic hits in front of the cleveland crowd. it was a great night. one of the best in guns n roses history. so. how is it good on axl, mr. johnny rotten?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The outro of Paradise City was surreal and phenomonal. Steven Adler banging away on the drums while Matt Sorum strikes the symbols with the tambourine while Slash and Duff are tearing it up. What's not to love? Aside from the vocals it sounded more like Appetite than anything I had heard in over 15 years.

The outro of Paradise City was surreal and phenomonal. Steven Adler banging away on the drums while Matt Sorum strikes the symbols with the tambourine while Slash and Duff are tearing it up. What's not to love? Aside from the vocals it sounded more like Appetite than anything I had heard in over 15 years.

i agree. steven and matt were phenomenal. how could axl, dizzy, and izzy not be there 2 perform with steven, matt, slash, duff, and gilby?

I loved every minute of it!

so why did axl, dizzy, and izzy miss the party?

Jon lydon has his thoughts on hall of fame just as many others. During the punk era his lyrics with sex pistols and PIL meant a great deal as did his anarchist image. Sure he might be in butter ads for money or whatever and on I'm a celebrity ( which he caused chaos and even walked out of the show...knowing full well he would win). That's who he is... The last punkstar as Axl is probably the last real rockstar. They don't look back in regret and always look forward... Good on them.

Jon lydon has his thoughts on hall of fame just as many others. During the punk era his lyrics with sex pistols and PIL meant a great deal as did his anarchist image. Sure he might be in butter ads for money or whatever and on I'm a celebrity ( which he caused chaos and even walked out of the show...knowing full well he would win). That's who he is... The last punkstar as Axl is probably the last real rockstar. They don't look back in regret and always look forward... Good on them.

you're saying miles, slash, duff, gilby, steven, and matt looked back in regret at the guns n roses HOF induction?

the HOF is Jann wenners personal list of favorites not a real legit HOF considering who is not inducted,no Rush,Motorhead nor BOC,nor several seminal important groups like deep purple that certainly deserved to be inducted over the beastie boys.

I'm no fan of Wenner, but I really don't understand the accusation that only his favorites are inducted. Sex Pistols is a personal favorite of his? Really? There isn't a Hall of Fame in this world that hasn't been criticized for who they have and have not inducted.

As for Rotten, I find it hilarious how he denounced the Rock Hall as meaningless and yet admitted he was pissed that his band didn't get inducted the three previous times they were nominated.

Johnny Rotten is a nobody. What Axl did wasn't anti-establishment or anything that deserves praise. He jipped his longtime fans and once again slapped them in the face. He is not "anti-establishment." Here is why:

-He took the stage and accepted the ridicoulous MTV Video Vanguard Award.

-He inducted Elton John into the HOF in 1994.

-He performed with Bruce Springsteen at the HOF.

-He called the HOF a "victory for the fans."

-He called the HOF a "huge honor."

Axl missed out on a special moment for Guns N' Roses fans and why? He must think there is something so evil and Slash that it goes beyong the para-normal. I thank Slash, Duff, and Steven for putting on a great show with 3/5 of Guns N' Roses. Those three sounded great, SCOM and PC sounding exactly as they should on lead guitar, bass and drums. Axl intenionally dissed the fans. The fact that he impressed Johnny Rotten, or some posters here that weren't born during Appetite means nothing to me. It was an asshole move.

John never said that Axl was anti-establishment for doing what he did, he just agreed with the concept. And as far as Johnny Rotten being a nobody, he's the singlemost important figure in popular music, changed the face of popular music for good.

The problem here appears to be not what John says but what you imagine he might mean, based on preconceptions of who he is.

No.

The Beatles.

re sailaway,

I can smell a hater.

love is stronger than hate.

btw,HOF rocked.if u don't think so you don't like rock n roll.my opinion.

I Will not be labelled by your personal standards,that is ludicrous :lol:

What I saw was not GNR,and it was easy to spot the lack of interaction between S & D.

Inviting Gilby was a questionable move,and I'm not a fan of Mylie Kennedy.

I'm glad that the three no-shows stuck to their guns and refused to be part of that mish-mash,adds a bit of venom to that when Izzy shows up to perform with GNR on the current tour,I enjoyed that subtle jab.

what i saw was velvet revolver with a shitty singer

What you saw was reality. Just because Steven had a good time doesn't mean that your fact is any less true.

re sailaway,

I can smell a hater.

What I saw was not GNR,and it was easy to spot the lack of interaction between S & D.

I'm glad that the three no-shows stuck to their guns and refused to be part of that mish-mash,adds a bit of venom to that when Izzy shows up to perform with GNR on the current tour,I enjoyed that subtle jab.

What you saw was reality. Just because Steven had a good time doesn't mean that your opinion is any less true. Myles is so far beyond anything that I would consider decent that I don't know how anyone that even pretends to be a fan of Guns could stick up for him.

It's stupid in my honest opinion.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

so why did axl, dizzy, and izzy miss the party?

Personal choice ;)

re sailaway,

I can smell a hater.

What you saw was reality. Just because Steven had a good time doesn't mean that your opinion is any less true. Myles is so far beyond anything that I would consider decent that I don't know how anyone that even pretends to be a fan of Guns could stick up for him.

Agreed Damn Smooth!

Can we please stop with this lackluster "performance" by the alumni + Mylie and talk about the spectacular performances Guns N' Roses is displaying on tour?

Izzy in UK doing 14 years was amazing :)

Just look at artists influenced by The Sex Pistols. Theirs and Johns legacy is set.

Not a huge fan but deriding him is ludicrous.

It is,a few stray comments don't cancel out what the Sex Pistols accomplished,nor negate their influence.

the HOF is Jann wenners personal list of favorites not a real legit HOF considering who is not inducted,no Rush,Motorhead nor BOC,nor several seminal important groups like deep purple that certainly deserved to be inducted over the beastie boys.

I'm no fan of Wenner, but I really don't understand the accusation that only his favorites are inducted. Sex Pistols is a personal favorite of his? Really? There isn't a Hall of Fame in this world that hasn't been criticized for who they have and have not inducted.

As for Rotten, I find it hilarious how he denounced the Rock Hall as meaningless and yet admitted he was pissed that his band didn't get inducted the three previous times they were nominated.

I'm assuming wenner is picking and choosing due to the acts that have been passed over in favor of some less deserving acts.

It devalues the "dubious honor" this would otherwise imply.

How did you feel when Axl Rose refused induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? It was similar to what you did, when you wrote an open letter questioning the whole enterprise.

Good on him. I don’t know what his reasons were, but for any reason at all that’s good enough. It’s an act of real foolishness to walk into that nonsense. If you do, you know, you’ve been co-opted into the shitstem. Also, once they get that award, at that moldy museum, people seem to vanish

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/06/john-lydon-interview.html#ixzz1xHw0AJYu

Well...that was enlightening, weren't it? Thought i'd post it anyway. The Great One has previously been quite critical and contemptuous of Axl, in passing at least. I remember Axl was meant to be interviewed for Johns TV show Rotten TV but he backed out and John was taking the piss out of him at the show.

i don't know how it's good on axl. dizzy. or izzy. because slash, duff, matt, and steven showed up. they were there for the guns n roses induction. and they performed on stage. up and comer miles kennedy with *FORMER*guns n roses members slash, duff, matt, steven and gilby clarke performed guns n roses classic hits in front of the cleveland crowd. it was a great night. one of the best in guns n roses history. so. how is it good on axl, mr. johnny rotten?

Fixed ;)

And Matt was a "featured performer" with GNR according to my sources.Gilby wasn't even inducted,don't know why he showed up :rolleyes:

Edited by sailaway

re sailaway,

I can smell a hater.

Ha! I'm not a fan of his vocal "talents" either :lol:

I'm still glad Axl,Izzy and Dizzy refused to attend.

Absolutely, Smooth. I'm glad that Guns put Civil War back in the set list, just so that some of these people could see that what Myles does, is but a pale imitation. Myles is usually half-okay on SCOM though, but nowhere near Axl at his best.

Edited by The Archer

Guys, guys, guys - you can't seriously deny that The Sex Pistols had a dramatic effect on the music scene now come on - You maybe an old punk fan and think they were too commercial (been said loads of time), you may think they were a joke and don't like their music, but please don't anyone try and deny the effect they had on that genre and the music scene in general, c'mon now!

Dramatic effect? well "God Save the Queen" certainly got them and the punk movement publicity but I think their impact on the music scene is overrated IMHO....personaly I think the Clash were more important as they brought punk into the mainstream...........and I loved "Never Mind the Bollocks" but to me it was just a more raw version of the rock I listened to growing up as it still had great hooks...........to me Iggy Pop and the Stooges were the first punk rockers..........

Exactly this :thumbsup:

Guest Len B'stard

Johnny Rotten is a nobody. What Axl did wasn't anti-establishment or anything that deserves praise. He jipped his longtime fans and once again slapped them in the face. He is not "anti-establishment." Here is why:

-He took the stage and accepted the ridicoulous MTV Video Vanguard Award.

-He inducted Elton John into the HOF in 1994.

-He performed with Bruce Springsteen at the HOF.

-He called the HOF a "victory for the fans."

-He called the HOF a "huge honor."

Axl missed out on a special moment for Guns N' Roses fans and why? He must think there is something so evil and Slash that it goes beyong the para-normal. I thank Slash, Duff, and Steven for putting on a great show with 3/5 of Guns N' Roses. Those three sounded great, SCOM and PC sounding exactly as they should on lead guitar, bass and drums. Axl intenionally dissed the fans. The fact that he impressed Johnny Rotten, or some posters here that weren't born during Appetite means nothing to me. It was an asshole move.

John never said that Axl was anti-establishment for doing what he did, he just agreed with the concept. And as far as Johnny Rotten being a nobody, he's the singlemost important figure in popular music, changed the face of popular music for good.

The problem here appears to be not what John says but what you imagine he might mean, based on preconceptions of who he is.

No.

The Beatles.

The Beatles are the single most important figures in popular music? Well, thats sort of disputed by the small fact of them not having been in popular music since 1969, current year being 2012.

Edited by sugaraylen

you're saying miles, slash, duff, gilby, steven, and matt looked back in regret at the guns n roses HOF induction?

I didn't mention them did I? Just said jonny and axl wont regret there decisions to not go. Didn't mention the others.

The last punkstar as Axl is probably the last real rockstar. They don't look back in regret and always look forward... Good on them.

No, he's not. He's just out there to offer you his peremptory opinion.

Being a punk rock star is actually being a fraud.

The last punkstar as Axl is probably the last real rockstar. They don't look back in regret and always look forward... Good on them.

No, he's not. He's just out there to offer you his peremptory opinion.

Being a punk rock star is actually being a fraud.

Being a punk is being a fraud? Dude the guy and the band as a few others started as nothing and introduced a whole new era of music that affected millions and influenced bands like GNR etc. During the 70's in UK this was a breath of fresh air. Not one of these gay half assed American wanna be punk bands... These guys were real, just Jon lydon now tends to never shut up.

Mylie Kennedy.

Right, you can stop this now, then.

Once or twice was one thing, but it wasn't clever or funny to start with, and constantly calling him Mylie in every thread gets tiring quickly is no less insulting to Kennedy and his fans here than it is for people to call Axl fat or 'Axhole' or whatever other names are bandied about. We don't allow that, and we're not going to allow this.