Johnny Rotten on Axl Rose & Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Guest Len B'stard

Guest Len B'stard

How did you feel when Axl Rose refused induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? It was similar to what you did, when you wrote an open letter questioning the whole enterprise.

Good on him. I don’t know what his reasons were, but for any reason at all that’s good enough. It’s an act of real foolishness to walk into that nonsense. If you do, you know, you’ve been co-opted into the shitstem. Also, once they get that award, at that moldy museum, people seem to vanish

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/06/john-lydon-interview.html#ixzz1xHw0AJYu

Well...that was enlightening, weren't it? Thought i'd post it anyway. The Great One has previously been quite critical and contemptuous of Axl, in passing at least. I remember Axl was meant to be interviewed for Johns TV show Rotten TV but he backed out and John was taking the piss out of him at the show.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RonMexico82

Johnny Rotten is such a fucking hypocrite. He should stick to buuter ads and I'm a celebrity get me out of here instead of his jaded anti-establishment waffle act.

Guest Len B'stard

Johnny Rotten is such a fucking hypocrite. He should stick to buuter ads and I'm a celebrity get me out of here instead of his jaded anti-establishment waffle act.

butter ad = money to tour = money for new PiL album = self released, truly independent music. Johnny Rotten can't sell out because he doesn't belong to anything. There will never be another Johnny Lydon, he is the real deal, as good as it gets.

wasn't he on judge judy?

Yeah...and he won for he is John :)

Edited by sugaraylen

I was bound and tied by a record company. There was not always the freedom to move.

Why would they do that?

You’ll have to ask every record label why they are all falling apart. I’m not the only artist that’s being put through a mill. It’s a fairly common thing. Everyone I’ve talked to have all had really serious complaints. I wish there was a Better Business Bureau. But you can’t get out of the recoupment clause. They won’t loan you any new money because of old debt, but they won’t release the new records in any real numbers. It’s Catch-22. Idiocy.

Hmm :shrugs:

Major labels are subsidiaries of far bigger companies, tied into all sorts of things. The smaller labels don't have that cushion, and sometimes get bought out or just close up. Sometimes the ownership of the name ends, sometimes the one who still has ownership to the name will sell it, no diff. than selling a dot com name.

A company will take what they can get out of someone, and the entertainment industry banks on artists keeping their head down, giving them what they want, as long as they don't start asking questions.

But the only time artists have seemed to won out is when they wound up with really good lawyers, or wound up having a fan of theirs become an industry heavy hitter.

Better Business Bureau is kind of like Yelp - you smudge the credibility a bit, it really doesn't have that much effect. But to challenge a record company, you need people from the inside to deal with it, make it a news item, have the interview in trade mags, and it can be like hiring a divorce lawyer who's friends with your ex wife's family.

I think the best thing a band can do is name names, and the more those names come up, the more unemployable they are when they go on to do business elsewhere. If it winds up in some celeb bio, that can be searched and read about.

Guest Len B'stard

I honestly think Johnny Rotten is one of the lamest characters in rock n roll history, nobody tries harder to be cool than that unfunny douchebag

Johnny Rotten has nothing to do with rock n roll, apart from ending it with The Pistols. Also, a man trying desperately to be cool tends to stay away from chasing Ostriches on reality shows :lol:

All artists are liars and hypocrites to a degree. He supported UK farmers, made a few bucks that he put towards the band. The bigger question ties in to why he hadn't recorded in almost 20 years.

There's not much difference between Rotten and Ice Cube. Back in the day they were considered dangerous artists.

Edited by dalsh327

Johnny Rotten is a nobody. What Axl did wasn't anti-establishment or anything that deserves praise. He jipped his longtime fans and once again slapped them in the face. He is not "anti-establishment." Here is why:

-He took the stage and accepted the ridicoulous MTV Video Vanguard Award.

-He inducted Elton John into the HOF in 1994.

-He performed with Bruce Springsteen at the HOF.

-He called the HOF a "victory for the fans."

-He called the HOF a "huge honor."

Axl missed out on a special moment for Guns N' Roses fans and why? He must think there is something so evil and Slash that it goes beyond the para-normal. I thank Slash, Duff, and Steven for putting on a great show with 3/5 of Guns N' Roses. Those three sounded great, SCOM and PC sounding exactly as they should on lead guitar, bass and drums. Axl intenionally dissed the fans. The fact that he impressed Johnny Rotten, or some posters here that weren't born during Appetite means nothing to me. It was an asshole move.

Edited by SONOFABITCH

Guest Len B'stard

Johnny Rotten is a nobody. What Axl did wasn't anti-establishment or anything that deserves praise. He jipped his longtime fans and once again slapped them in the face. He is not "anti-establishment." Here is why:

Axl missed out on a special moment for Guns N' Roses fans and why? He must think there is something so evil and Slash that it goes beyong the para-normal. I thank Slash, Duff, and Steven for putting on a great show with 3/5 of Guns N' Roses. Those three sounded great, SCOM and PC sounding exactly as they should on lead guitar, bass and drums. Axl intenionally dissed the fans. The fact that he impressed Johnny Rotten, or some posters here that weren't born during Appetite means nothing to me. It was an asshole move.

John never said that Axl was anti-establishment for doing what he did, he just agreed with the concept. And as far as Johnny Rotten being a nobody, he's the singlemost important figure in popular music, changed the face of popular music for good.

The problem here appears to be not what John says but what you imagine he might mean, based on preconceptions of who he is.

Axl missed out on a special moment for Guns N' Roses fans and why? He must think there is something so evil and Slash that it goes beyong the para-normal. I thank Slash, Duff, and Steven for putting on a great show with 3/5 of Guns N' Roses. Those three sounded great, SCOM and PC sounding exactly as they should on lead guitar, bass and drums. Axl intenionally dissed the fans. The fact that he impressed Johnny Rotten, or some posters here that weren't born during Appetite means nothing to me. It was an asshole move.

John never said that Axl was anti-establishment for doing what he did, he just agreed with the concept. And as far as Johnny Rotten being a nobody, he's the singlemost important figure in popular music, changed the face of popular music for good.

The problem here appears to be not what John says but what you imagine he might mean, based on preconceptions of who he is.

Single most important figure in popular music? More important than Sinatra, Elvis, Mick Jagger, John Lennon??? If he was that important, he wouldn't be on Judge Judy.

I know Rotten didn't say Axl was anti-establishment. But it is frustrating when people in the media make it out to be as such. The reality is he was too spooked to be under the same roof as Slash. I as banned here during the HOF, but when I discovered Axl's open letter to the HOF I absolutely saw red. He and Izzy missed out on an important GNR moment. If Axl cares too much about the current GNR to show up to the HOF - if that's his reason - then record with them and give thema chance. Anyway you slice it, Axl is in the HOF. He was inducted, in the most least desirable way possible. On the flip side, Axl not going made Dizzy not show up, so it wasn't all bad....

I honestly think Johnny Rotten is one of the lamest characters in rock n roll history, nobody tries harder to be cool than that unfunny douchebag

Johnny Rotten has nothing to do with rock n roll, apart from ending it with The Pistols.

Without rock there would be no punk. Without rock there would be no Johnny Rotten. Saying he had nothing to do with rock (and ended it :lol: ) is simply not true.

butter ad = money to tour = money for new PiL album = self released, truly independent music. Johnny Rotten can't sell out because he doesn't belong to anything. There will never be another Johnny Lydon, he is the real deal, as good as it gets.

Good for him.

Why does the HOF mean so much to people?

Because their reunion dreams faded away when Axl Rose refused to take that bullshit award. It's funny how everybody instantly turns out to be a "hack" when they say that the HOF is a big load of crap :rofl-lol: that is funny and sad at the same time - funny because some people are so deluded that they thought Axl should have performed with old Guns for them and everyone supporting him is full of crap and sad because it's so mentalliy retarded that I can't even think about a remotely logical reason to even understand the thinking behind that totally retarded logic.

Oh, and who am I kidding... the same people disrespect Bucket, Brain, Tommy or Ron on a daily basis and post the biggest amount of bullshit I've ever heard from fans of any band constantly. I should not be surprised that respected musicians get bashed like that because they aren't old GNR fanboys' heroes.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

i have been wondering the same thing, its a fucking fraud organization that only gives a shit about ratings and $$$$$$$$ i am very happy axl didnt show up

Johnny Rotten has nothing to do with rock n roll, apart from ending it with The Pistols.

Without rock there would be no punk. Without rock there would be no Johnny Rotten. Saying he had nothing to do with rock (and ended it :lol: ) is simply not true.

That's fair enough.

Because their reunion dreams faded away when Axl Rose refused to take that bullshit award. It's funny how everybody instantly turns out to be a "hack" when they say that the HOF is a big load of crap :rofl-lol: that is funny and sad at the same time - funny because some people are so deluded that they thought Axl should have performed with old Guns for them and everyone supporting him is full of crap and sad because it's so mentalliy retarded that I can't even think about a remotely logical reason to even understand the thinking behind that totally retarded logic.

Oh, and who am I kidding... the same people disrespect Bucket, Brain, Tommy or Ron on a daily basis and post the biggest amount of bullshit I've ever heard from fans of any band constantly. I should not be surprised that respected musicians get bashed like that because they aren't old GNR fanboys' heroes.

GN'R did not deserve to be inducted before bands like Rush, Cheap Trick, Maiden, KISS, The Smiths, Joy Division, Def Leppard, Yes, King Crimson, Deep Purple, The mother fucking E Street Band.

The only reason GN'R got inducted the first year was so they can cash in on a reunion. It had nothing to do with their achievements. Axl was awesome to deny them that opportunity.

This guy did an interview recently, and supported Axl not attending the HOF, and then called Axl "baldy". What a scumbag. Seriously, how fucking childish, vain, and cruel is that. Fuck that guy, for life.

Probably one of the most cowardly acts ever by Axl Rose not showing up. If he was so against the HOF he never showed have participated in previous ceremonies/performances. It was really, really pathetic. It's wasn't about the HOF. It was about thanking the fans and celebrating the music. And by fans I am not talking about the small pocket of forum dwellers whose first exposure to GNR was 2002 MTV Video awards.