This I Love

trqster

It remains a big mystery to me as why Axl & the label haven't put out This I love as single, cause it could be exactly what CD is missing - a radio friendly (hit) single.

And even more importantly it's an almost consensual song for the casual fan - everyone seems to love it, both studio and live versions. I knew it had big rock mainstream potential from the first time I heard it - it's just obvious...

Just check out the youtube ratings and comments for the video. Almost 290.000 people saw it and almost 2000 that rated it can't be wrong...simple statistics 101.

Edited by trqster

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree. I think the song is an absolute train-wreck. One of Axl's more embarrassing moments.

You're entitled to your opinion, but against facts.... TIL proves to be massivly popular on youtube ratings (by far the best rated CD song) and also on live concerts where it's pretty much the only CD song that causes a reaction from the casual fan...

A video of this song, november rain alike, would be a hit for sure.

I have to disagree. I think the song is an absolute train-wreck. One of Axl's more embarrassing moments.

You're entitled to your opinion, but against facts....

We're are talking about musical preferences, there is no right or wrong here :). I agree many people seem to like it, but I have no idea why and personally I absolutely loathe it, both lyrically and musically.

We're are talking about musical preferences, there is no right or wrong here :). I agree many people seem to like it, but I have no idea why and personally I absolutely loathe it, both lyrically and musically.

It's because you don't understand it...It took me awhile to get it. At first I was like WTF is this? lol

It's because you don't understand it...It took me awhile to get it. At first I was like WTF is this? lol

That might be. The problem is that if I need to listen to it a thousand times to discover the hidden layers of bliss, then I'd kill myself first.

That might be. The problem is that if I need to listen to it a thousand times to discover the hidden layers of bliss, then I'd kill myself first.

LOL true you cant force yourself to like something.

Also when I first heard the Shackler's leak I really didn't know what to think lol

Edited by volcano62

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

If they re-arranged the song a bit and made it slightly less... cringy and put on a decent solo on it, I think it would be a song as good as some of their old ones. I like this version, but it had potential to be a lot better.

Also, yes, I agree. This is the song that had the most potential to be a hit on the album.

IMO singles should have gone something like this:

Better w/ B-side and live version (music video, live footage mixed with backstage) (November 2008)

Street of Dreams w/ B-side and live Rock in Rio 2001 version (January 2009) (music video, band playing the song in a near empty bar, all sat around on bar stools and a pool table etc, nobody really paying attention at first, by the end everyone nodding along to the song and into it)

IRS w/ TWAT and live Rock Am Ring 2006 version (March 2009) (no music video, do some interviews talking about the album production and plans for the year and future)

Catcher in the Rye w/ B-side and demo version (July 2009) (Also do a small appearance at something like the iTunes festival, play 3 classics, 3 CD songs and release them as an iTunes exclusive live EP or something)

Prostitute w/ B-side and Chinese Democracy (December 2009, coincide with beginning of tour) (Music video, major interviews, hopefully magazine covers)

Alas, as we all know, the reality differed significantly from this wish list. <_<

TIL is a song I really like, but even I have to lower the volume during guitar solos (the sound is screachy in car stereos). It is easy to do in the car (the volume button is in the wheel),

but I guess that is one of the main reasons why they do not play it in the radio.

I would love to hear how it sounds with softer guitars and tones in general (there are many good posts in this forum related to its production and mix) or at least have a high quality live version to play.

Maybe they could just sit down and do the core of it again like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0phtpzi70LU&feature=related (Laura Närhi: Mä annan sut pois).